TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Seattle SC

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ACDriveMotor, Sep 7, 2014.

1. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

The TMC map for 2014 shows Seattle as an SC destination. Any word on when that may happen?

2. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

The traditional answer, when asking where of a Tesla employee, has been "Don't know." But a few months ago, when I asked the area manager if the junction of I-5 and I-90 (i.e., the Tesla Service Center) was a logical choice, I got an affirmative answer.

When is another matter. Just checked the electrical permits for that address and got nothing.

3. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Agree that location makes sense, though it is not as accessible as it could be in downtown Seattle. Are there other SC locations that are in the service center?

4. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

Are there any existing SC's in urban/metropolitan setting? Say, within 15 miles from a major city.

5. mcx-sea

mcx-sea Member

Don't forget airports; JFK in NYC for example

Electrical service at the Seattle Service Center is not enough for a SuperCharger. And there are not really any eateries or restrooms within walking distance. SeaTac International Airport solves all those problems.

6. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

Two blocks north of the Service Center, at 5th Ave S and Dearborn, is a nice new parking lot for a Uwajimaya, and I'll bet on coffee shops nearby.

7. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

My first thought when reading the first post was "December 163rd, 2014" as the most likely date.

I think this a "bandaid" SC because Centrailia to Ellensburg is 172 miles plus a mountain pass.

Also, while it's really close to I5 and I90, rush hours and game days make it a bit problematic. It's location will probably not lead to a lot of local usage though. I doubt I would ever charge there.

8. donv

donv Member

Yes. Hawthorne (in LA), and JFK Airport (in NYC) come to mind. There are probably others.

A Seattle supercharger would be very handy for me. Centralia - Seattle - Centralia is a bit tight without charging...

9. gglockner

gglockner Member

If it were up to me, I'd put it around Southcenter. Close to the junction of 5/405, the airport, hotels and dining. The Seattle service center seems like a terrible location due to traffic.

10. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

I'd go for 'exit/entry routes' such as Mercer Island or Renton (I90) for East/South routes , just a few blocks off an exit.

Agree the service location feels a bit impractical, but I also do think bang/buck it is good to have at least one SC per medium metropolitan area.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Definitely a trouble-spot in cold weather, especially in a 60.

12. freds

freds Member

#12 freds, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    There is an opportunity to add some range at the top of the pass before you head down hill to Ellensburg, as part of the West Coast Electric Highway. One J1772 and a Chademo charge station, though it might suck if it was occupied.

More opportunities in North Bend before you head up the pass. Check plug finder.

13. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

It's good to know that sort of thing but the goal of the supercharger network is to NOT have to go for a slow charge.

14. richkae

richkae VIN587

Yeah, nobody in their right mind who is trying to get from Centralia to Ellensburg is going to go through Seattle.
    If I was traveling North-South using Centralia and Burlington, I would also avoid do my best to avoid Seattle.

I think it may be useful for people who do trips into Seattle.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

For the Centralia-Ellensburg route, the North Bend outlets would be a good place to consider nestling Supercharger bays. Centralia-NB is 94.5mi and NB-Ellensburg is 79.3mi. Tighter than the typical distance Tesla uses, but there's mountain passes involved. Would definitely lower the stress factor in bad weather.

For Centralia-Burlington, NB would serve quite well also -- though Renton would be less of a detour.

I'm a little biased though -- as I'd prefer to see it near Bellevue if they could find a reasonable site.

16. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

At or near Bellevue Square would be a reasonable site.

17. dfitz206

dfitz206 Member

It needs to stay on I-5 for use with Burlington and Centralia, plus if used as destination/quick turnaround for sporting and other events/meetings, Seattle is the only answer for North, South and East. Bellevue doesn't work for that. No need for all those people to go over the bridge if coming from north or south for events.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Agree to disagree. When going from Centralia to Burlington, I go via 405 not the hell that is 5.

19. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I see it as more of a toss up. 405 from Bothel to Renton can be a parking lot at some times of the day. Usually I5 is plugged from 145th to Boeing Field. But it doesn't really matter because Burlington to Centralia is 150 miles either way. Use Waze and take the best.

That's why North Bend makes lots for sense for the SC as people going from the south to I90 can avoid the CF that is Seattle area traffic (and I include BVue/Redmond in that zoo).

20. dfitz206

dfitz206 Member

How does North Bend work for destination/event recharge? Example: Drive from Portland for Seahawks game, turn-around same day for return. Need a charge downtown to get back to Centralia... why drive to North Bend? I guess it truly depends on Tesla's thought process--connect the I-90 new E/W route (then North Bend works) or the I-5 route (Seattle or even Bellevue for that one) or destination/quick turnaround (Seattle). We shall see...

For traffic, both 405 and 5 are awful...