Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle to Mt St Helens trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to post this hoping it will help someone else...

We are a family of 4 and our car is a 2015 Model S 85. We decided to visit Mt St Helens on 5/26/2019 and thought we will give the Model S a try. Generally we take the gas SUV on such trips but I was confident the Tesla could do it.

So here is more context:
Car has 22K miles on it as of today.
Car charged to 100% the before night.
Total body weight for 4 of us: 430 lb
Other weight due to electronics / camera / gear / jackets / water / snacks, etc: 20 lbs worst case
Outside temperature: 65 at start location and 60 at end location with 60-75 weather on the freeway
Start Location: Mill Creek, WA (98012)
Destination: Johnston Ridge observatory (98649) with multiple stops in between
Total distance each way: 188 miles
Car was on auto pilot 90% of the time
Car has non standard 22" wheels. With the regular 18" / 19" / 21" it will only be better.
AC was on 100% of the time and the temp was set to 65F constant.
All electronics were in use - with 2 cell phone chargers, an iPad charger and a Go Pro charger

Here are the battery consumption details:
1. From Home (100% battery) -> Centralia Supercharger (47% battery left)
- With an average speed of 65-75 mph due to different speed zones
- Distance covered was 112 miles
- Consumption was 337 Wh/mile

Charged battery to 100% at the supercharger while we were having lunch. Took about 50 min approx.

2. From Centralia Supercharger (100% battery) -> Johnston Ridge Observatory (49% battery left)
- With an average speed of 50-65 mph due to different speed zones (definitely over speeding)
- Consumption was about 530 Wh/mile till about 6 miles ahead of the observatory.
- Distance to be covered was 76 miles but we only went 70 miles approx and range anxiety set in. The observatory was 6 miles away and the battery indicated 49% left. We were uncomfortable and decided to return back.

We reached Centralia supercharger with 30% battery left. :) The return back was mostly downhill and we didnt use the battery much. I didnt realize that. We should have easily gotten to the Observatory and more. But anyways, we had awesome time and saw some spectacular views as we made frequent stops in between. The view 6 miles before the observatory was just awesome.

Anyways we had dinner and the battery was charged to 100% again in about 45 min. Returned back home with 49% battery left after driving 112 miles.

So if you are wondering if you can make it to Mt St Helens Johnston Ridge Observatory from Centralia Supercharger and back, yes you can on a Model S 85 standard (non-dual motor). You will have about 20% battery left by the time you return.

Overall it was a comfortable trip. There was some range anxiety but it was unnecessary.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and arcus
Here is a picture of the car with kids...

Attachments

• IMG_4793.JPG
    IMG_4793.JPG
    521.7 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: P85_DA
Excellent trip report! Thanks for taking the time to offer so much detail :D

If you decide to make this trip again, Be aware that there is a J1772 charging station (not free) at Cascade Market in Castle Rock WA at 204 W. Cowlitz Ave. You'll need an adapter for your mobile cord (my CPO MS came with this adapter). Details can be found at https://pluginamerica.org and find what's available in your area on the map.

More good charging info in WA can be found at Plug-In North Central Washington. We used their facility in Winthrop at the Pine Near Campground. Wonderful folks there even offered to watch our dogs while we walked the 2 blocks into town for a brew with local family.

I'll be back in WA for a relocation scouting trip in July/August. DM me and I'll buy you a coffee - or maybe something stronger ;)

Thanks again, and happy trails!

Excellent trip report! Thanks for taking the time to offer so much detail :D

If you decide to make this trip again, Be aware that there is a J1772 charging station (not free) at Cascade Market in Castle Rock WA at 204 W. Cowlitz Ave. You'll need an adapter for your mobile cord (my CPO MS came with this adapter). Details can be found at https://pluginamerica.org and find what's available in your area on the map.

More good charging info in WA can be found at Plug-In North Central Washington. We used their facility in Winthrop at the Pine Near Campground. Wonderful folks there even offered to watch our dogs while we walked the 2 blocks into town for a brew with local family.

I'll be back in WA for a relocation scouting trip in July/August. DM me and I'll buy you a coffee - or maybe something stronger ;)

Thanks again, and happy trails!

Awesome thanks! I do have a J1772 adapter. We had a Nissan Leaf prior to the Model S and still charge the MS with the same charger at home using the adapter. I have one additional adapter in the car always.

Thanks for the info. Next time onwards, I will look on the site you mentioned for charging areas. Will PM you and we can talk further.