Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Annual Pikes Peak EV Hill Climb, September 24, 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Pikes Peak EV Hill Climb: Saturday, September 24th, 2016. This event is being sponsored by the Colorado Springs Electric Vehicle Club, CSEVC. Website:
Colorado Springs EV Club

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: Anyone with a Tesla should have no problem making a round trip up Pikes Peak if they leave Colorado Springs with 50% charge or more. Tesla owners: There is a Supercharger in downtown Colorado Springs. If you have less than 50% charge, stop there and get a quick blast prior to departing for Pikes Peak. NOTE: Power consumption is TREMENDOUS going up! If you can make it to the top with 0% battery left, you are good. You will get MOST of that energy back going down! If you get RANGE ANXIETY going up, just turn around and go back! You will be good to go to the Colorado Springs supercharger from anywhere on Pikes Peak EVEN WITH ZERO BATTERY! The road is PAVED ALL THE WAY to the top! No DUST! Also, none of those pesky VEHICLE GUARD RAILS to spoil your view!! Tired of that darn REGENERATIVE BRAKING? Just put your Tesla in NEUTRAL and you will come down REALLY FAST! For your safety, there are two GIANT SPRINGS to catch you at the bottom! (Manitou Springs and Colorado Springs).

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: The Colorado Springs Supercharger: If you stop by there during BUSINESS HOURS, you just take a ticket. When you leave, you just give the attendant the ticket and tell him/her this is a Tesla. If you were there for less than an hour, your visit is free. If more than an hour, $0.75 per additional hour. This hill climb is taking place on a SATURDAY, NOT BUSINESS HOURS! It will cost you $1 (Parking Fee). Sorry! BEST WAY: Have a new $1 bill on hand. When you pull into the parking garage, just put the $1 bill into the bill accepter. The gate will go up and you are in. The EIGHT superchargers are off to your left. THEORETICALLY, the entrance machines also take COINS, and SOME credit cards! Look on the machine. If your brand of credit card is not pictured, it won’t take it! CASH IS KING!

Time: Any time before 11:00 AM

Place: Meet at the Red Rock Canyon Open Space in Manitou Springs. This Open Space (park) is located just off Hwy 24. Driving West from Colorado Springs, take the Ridge Road exit from Hwy 24. It is the NEXT exit past the 31st Street exit. Turn left onto Ridge Road. After a VERY SHORT drive, there is a parking lot on the left. Just meet there. It is on Colorado Springs’ far West side.

Leave for toll road entrance at 11 AM, start up about 11:30, arrive top 12:30, take photos, use restrooms etc, and start down 1:30 allow extra 30 minutes for photo ops, arrive at tollgate 2:30, then off to Fargo’s Pizza, (located in downtown Colorado Springs at 2910 East Platte Ave). 3:00 PM till whenever. Eat and talk. 4-5 PM, everyone full of pizza or salad bar, head back to home. Those from out of town, head for the Colorado Springs Supercharger for some quick charging!

We, the CSEVC, are sponsoring this event, which is open to ANYONE!! Please RSVP to me, Mac McCauley, [email protected]

Thanks and SEE YOU THERE!!

• Funny
Reactions: 2krazykats
Mac,

Just curious... A bunch of years ago, we did the Pike's Peak climb in an ICE. I recall a Park Ranger part way down checking brake pad temps with an infrared device. Any interesting comments about how cool Tesla brakes are?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. Leaving for a trip down under than weekend.

Mac,

Just curious... A bunch of years ago, we did the Pike's Peak climb in an ICE. I recall a Park Ranger part way down checking brake pad temps with an infrared device. Any interesting comments about how cool Tesla brakes are?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. Leaving for a trip down under than weekend.

Hi Barry! Yes, when the ranger checks your brake temperature, they are very close to ambient air temp because EVs just use regenerative braking. They weren't particularly impressed tough. I guess some ICE cars drive down in first gear and don't use the brakes either, very much. Sorry to miss you this year! Mac

My X should arrive next month but I don't know if my schedule will allow. I'll know in a couple of weeks. Sounds like an awesome time!
I found a $2 off coupon at Local Attractions around Colorado Springs Coupons, every little bit helps right?
Lithia, FLORIDA??? You are going to drive from FLORIDA to go up a Colorado Mountain??? Well, okay...
Nice find, Mwoz! Every $2 helps!! Mac

Yeah, that would be a heck of a drive! My better half lives in the Springs, am I'm looking for a job before I make the move. I couldn't resist the Colorado EV tax credit so we are taking delivery in Denver.

HONG KONG??? You are going to drive to our event from Hong Kong??? Hahahahah! Yes, I have been in contact with both the Tesla Supercharger team and the Parking Authority of the City of Colorado Springs. Both of them are aware now that it is big news. Tesla tells me that they are now in contact with the owner of the car and he will move it before the event (scheduled for Aug 13th). Hey, 808?. Come for a visit! We would love to show visitors from Hong Kong around!! Mac

Wow, that's really considerate of the owner, saying he will remove his car from the supercharger sometime in the next two weeks.
Hey, Tex and 808!! NEWS! Today the guy who owns that racing Tesla came and got his car and paid his parking bill with the city. Now you can safely drive on up from Austin (808! from Hong Kong), (I used to live in Austin), get out of the HEAT, (I used to hang out at Zilker Park), attend our event and charge your car!! Mac

Reactions: 808?
Had a great time, can't wait to see the video. First time I ever saw bighorn sheep in the wild. It was awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    521.9 KB · Views: 69