Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Batch AWD query from a First Batch owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope all of you are enjoying your vehicles as much as we are. Question for some of you vis-à-vis the 8 Digit F and 980 vs 990 motor in your cars...

We have one off the ‘first’ 3,000 VIN’s based on number and delivery date. We have an 8 Digit F car, and (per a previous post) have confirmed a 980 motor in the rear via the photo attached again below...
Y Rear Motor.jpg

For ‘second’ batch and later VINs, which for argument sake let’s call 4,000 and higher by last four, do you have the same configuration or different?

Thanks much/ drive safe!

ß

There have been reports of newer Non-P AWD with the correct E in the VIN. Those should have the 990.

Theoretically, a non-P AWD should perform the same regardless of 980 vs 990 due to software limiting.

I'm hoping that my performance-VIN AWD will be faster with an acceleration boost - if they offer that. It would be a nice consolation prize for dealing with the insurance rate hit (or fight).

I'm hoping that my performance-VIN AWD will be faster with an acceleration boost - if they offer that. It would be a nice consolation prize for dealing with the insurance rate hit (or fight).

Just like the Model 3, non-P AWD with acceleration boost perform the same regardless of 980 vs 990. They're going to design to the lowest common denominator, the 990.

I think the only thing we're going to get for having the 980 is a motor with higher reliability.

As far as insurance goes, Geico was more concerned with MSRP than the VIN.