Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second battery pack installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 Model S P85D 72k miles purchased with 39k 2018 from Tesla "CPO"

cliff notes:

10/x/19 existing 85kwh battery was replaced under warranty with a 90kwh, version I did not check.

12/31/19 car dies 3 times leaving me stranded and goes into service

1/13/19 pick up car with another replacement battery pack. Just looked and it's a 90kwh 400VDC 1102980-01-A

Rep during pick up says "wow looks like they put in the v3, lucky you. But not sure it's programmed."

Did I get the bad 90kwh battery?

I tried to decode your battery number without success BUT apparently a common part number for the P90DL begins with 107. Yours is 110, so I'm guessing yours is not the dreaded and supposedly defective 90 kWh battery. I hope someone with better resources can chime in.

Its annoying that once your battery is replaced, they usually replace it with a refurbishes battery that eventually breaks again. From what I see on this forum there are people that never have any issues with their batteries... then there are people that have their battery replaced multiple times.

It sounds like Tesla's refurbishment process is not thorough enough. If the chemistry of every cell in the pack makes is more prone to failure, simply replacing the module or modules that failed will not give it the same projected lifespan as a pack without bad cell chemistry. Other modules are still likely to fail.

Instead the modules with bad cell chemistry should be repurposed into a product that does not demand as much from them as a car, such as a Powerwall. A bad chemistry pack should not be reinstalled into a car.

This all assumes that the nature is related to cell chemistry or some other defect that persists after refurbishment. I'd think an otherwise "good" pack could have a bad module that could be replaced and never fail early again.

Tesla has an issue that they are currently battery constrainted. For them to take a new battery off the production line, they will be able to sell one less car.

Imagine that when they have to replace a battery, they will look into their stock of pre-owned batteries and decide which to use best get the owners car functional again.

Of course everyone will want their battery replaced with a much better one, but for many legacy cars, perhaps only certain packs will be able to simply plug in. Might be some hardware incompatabilities using newer stuff.

Same thing with ICE cars. If your motor goes bad under warranty, you will get a remanfactured engine installed as a replacement if they are available.

2014 Model S P85D 72k miles purchased with 39k 2018 from Tesla "CPO"

cliff notes:

10/x/19 existing 85kwh battery was replaced under warranty with a 90kwh, version I did not check.

12/31/19 car dies 3 times leaving me stranded and goes into service

1/13/19 pick up car with another replacement battery pack. Just looked and it's a 90kwh 400VDC 1102980-01-A

Rep during pick up says "wow looks like they put in the v3, lucky you. But not sure it's programmed."

Did I get the bad 90kwh battery?
You have a date showing 1/13/19. You probably meant 1/13/20.