TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Second charge port (J1772) on Passenger side

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by jamieb, Nov 8, 2013.

1. jamieb

jamieb Member

New to the forums, have a P85 slated for factory delivery on 12/21 (the waiting is going to kill me).

I am fearful of forgetting the J1772 adapter somewhere or having a hotel valet forget to return it to me while traveling.

It occurs to me that a practical option (which I'd pay $ for during configuration) would be to have a second industry-standard J1772 port on the passenger side, exactly opposite the Tesla connector; wouldn't alter the beautiful lines of the car. So, one would use the Tesla port for super-charging and when using the mobile connector, but if you know you're going somewhere (work, hotel, etc.) where there are J1772 chargers, one less thing to carry or worry about. I would think this would be relatively easy to engineer, could base which port opens on GPS and/or control from the App.

Has this idea been floated before? Does Tesla monitor these forums?

JamieB

2. Zextraterrestrial

I think it is a neat Idea. The wiring for the 1772 wouldn't need to be as large as the Tesla charge side

3. liuping

liuping Active Member

Why not buy a spare J1772 adapter and keep it in the car? That's just $95, vs $1000+ for a second port built into the car.

4. jamieb

jamieb Member

That's what I plan to do; it just seems to me that having this as a BTO option would be reasonable and wouldn't require a lot of engineering.

5. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I don't think it makes sense due to more cost, weight, one more thing to break, and more complications on the assembly line. I assume that it wouldn't be too difficult, but most people use a J1772 fairly rarely and when they do, a simple piece of plastic suffices.

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Would be great if you can plug both ports in at the same time.
    That would double the charge rate when at a 30amp station that has 2 connectors

one on one side and the other on the other side

7. jamieb

jamieb Member

Might make sense as an additional part of the twin charger / high voltage upgrade. Also, does anyone know if the right-sided drive cars destined for the UK / Australia / NZ have the Tesla charge port on the right side of the car (US passenger side)? If so, they've probably already done the engineering for the wiring harness and charge port cover so the incremental cost would be less.

8. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

I think that is exactly the reason we won't see a 2nd connector on the other side: to prevent someone from attaching both at once.

- - - Updated - - -

Why buy a spare? The J1772 adapter is of no use at home so just keep the one that comes with the car in the car. But perhaps leave the charging cable at home plugged in to your 14-50R.

9. liuping

liuping Active Member

Occasionally a valet will not return it with the car, etc. which was the concern if the OP.

Personally, I don't see it as a problem. When traveling, I will have the UMC with a variety of adapters the j1772 adaptor, the CHAdeMO adaptor, and Supercharger and HPWC access. If anything is lost or breaks I will still have alternatives to get home.

10. Tacket

Tacket Member

Dear god, I hope my car out lives the J1772 standard! No thank you!

11. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

+1. Sad that it became a "standard."

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Adapter to combine two 30A level2 into one 60A J1772 - faster charging

J-1772 Y plug idea
    Nissan Leaf - Page 114
    Model S/X dual connectors for dual chargers?

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

FWIW, I semi-recently spoke to the guy who rode his electric motorcycle across the country and he told me that no, he can't charge via CHAdeMO but he uses up to FOUR J1772s at once to charge his e-bike.

14. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

That's Terry Hershner, and next year he will have a new 2014 bike, likely with CHAdeMO. He got second place in our BC2BC-2013 BC2BC AllElectricVehicleRally.org Event , 1500 miles from Canada to Mexico.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've used my J1772 adapter exactly once, and that was only to test whether the charging problem was due to a bad UMC. I'd rather have a second Tesla port on the passenger's side.

16. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

A second port commands for another high-voltage & high current junction box in the car. You don't want high voltage on the pins of an unused port when charging via the port on the other side. Or, if both ports can be used simultaneously, you must route each port to a different charger. So this idea becomes really expensive.

The 3rd par J1772 junction box outside fulfills all ideas brought forward in this thread and is less likely to get lost than the Tesla J1772 adapter.

17. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#17 FlasherZ, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Not only that but to parallel them on the same chargers you have to check for voltage consistency, phase alignment, add circuitry for monitoring the current across the parallel paths (because if one has a much higher resistance, you'll drive an overload on the other side).

Oh, and then there's that pesky problem of multiple grounds that can cause a significant problem in failure scenarios.

There's a big difference between what will work and what will work safely. :)

EDIT: That said, it would be possible, and safe, and relatively easy for Tesla to allow for one or the other.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#18 cwerdna, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    Heh.

At my work, since we only have L2 J1772 and some 120 volt outlets (under the corrugated metal doors of some Chargepoint EVSEs), the Model S owners (there are a few of them) have no choice but to use their J1772 adapter if they want to take advantage of the free juice we have (where they seem to pull 6.x kW) or go w/very slow L1 charging.

19. MarkR

MarkR Member

I'd like to see a second Tesla charge port on the opposite quadrant of the car so it would convenient for outlets in the front and rear of the car, but the idea of a J1772 seems silly because we have the adapter.