Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Door Handles Fails within a month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I have a P85D Model S that was delivered in early Jan or 2015 so it is almost three years old. About 3 weeks ago my driver's door handle stopped presenting. Luckily I was able to get an appointment at my local service centre and the problem was fixed within a few days. Then on Monday of this week the rear door on the driver's side also came up with the same problem. I haven't had a chance to get it fixed yet but it seems very strange to me that these handles worked perfectly fine for 34 months and then I have two failures so close together.

There wasn't any water damage and it hasn't been below freezing enough to worry about water getting in and freezing, or an ice build-up on the door preventing the handle from presenting.

But I wonder if I will also have issues with the passenger side in the near future.

I've had all 4 door handles fail within about 5 months with my 2015 Model S 70D. Service center is an hour away and it takes 60-90 minutes to repair. It's only part of the reason I'm considering a Mercedes E43 AMG this summer. If only Tesla had a good suspension, that might make up for it...

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hmmm - mostly 2015 models - age or a bad run? Are the handles improved now in later models?

They seem over complicated but should be able to be made totally reliable (in the long run!)

Does anyone from a service centre notice a trend or design improvements?

The handles would be one of my concerns with a CPO car far away in Africa (even with Tesla presence)

0 (zero) door handle replacements in more than 3 years (2014 build). Just providing another data point here.

Perhaps the handles are more prone to fail in extremely cold weather conditions?
(Edit: I see a reply from Florida above so that probably isn't it...)
(Edit 2: and yes, it's always better for failures to happen when still covered under warranty.)

Last edited:
I have a 2017 90D. My driver’s side front door handle failed to present a week after delivery. I live 500 miles from the nearest service center, so they had me put a zip tie around it ‘til they could get a ranger out to replace. Funny thing was the replacement was bad and wouldn’t go back in. He came back two weeks later and swapped that one out. The other day I came out of a grocery store and neither of the driver’s side handles would present. Luckily the passenger side handles came out so I could get in the car. Thought I was going to have to climb in through the trunk. How embarrassing. Look at me, I have to climb through the trunk of my $100,000 car! Luckily, rebooting the system fixed that issue.

I have a March 2015 P85D and it’s driver’s door handle was just replaced. The gear was broken. Perhaps they are just wearing out.

Timeline seems consistent. My April 2015 had the driver's door handle fail last month. The other handles are rarely used and their auto-extension are turned off.

I watched the repair done at my home. It's not wear. The pivot gears are cracking where the pin inserts.

There was a revision to the mechanism in 2014 AFAIK

Yes, two of my Gen 1 handles failed, and when the third one failed, they replaced all 4 with the Gen 2 style.

Perhaps the handles are more prone to fail in extremely cold weather conditions?
(Edit: I see a reply from Florida above so that probably isn't it...)

My last handle (Gen 2) was replaced because the door handle light failed and you can't just replace the LED/bulb. The whole assembly has to be replaced. If I was out of warranty, I would have just lived without the light as I don't think 2 grand (or whatever these cost) is worth the price of a little accent light when the handle is extended.

• Informative
Reactions: David29