TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Second Full Charge had more mileage than first full charge!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by steven415, Jun 17, 2018.

1. steven415

steven415 Member

First full charge 1 week after I got the car was at 306 miles.

After two months of driving, this morning I have a trip and charged to full to a surprising 313 miles.

In that two month span I did get supercharging once.

I'm kind of surprised my battery hasn't degraded as fast as I thought!

2. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Nothing to do with degradation. That number is just an estimate and will change over the life of the vehicle and numerous charge cycles........not an issue.

• Like x 1
  3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

You are just driving more efficiently than before. Really common for a new car, after you stop playing with it.

• Disagree x 2
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

How you drive does not change the estimated range that is reported. (Tesla doesn't use a Guess-O-Meter.)

• Like x 4
  5. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

.. just think about it. By next year you will be heading north of 400 miles per charge :)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Not this again. Why do people keep repeating this misinformation?
    The battery meter displays the EPA rated range. It is not affected by your driving history.

• Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. halfricanguy

halfricanguy MSM Model 3

Then what is the reason for an increase in range? I've been driving down the highway before and witnessed my range increase by a mile. What may be the cause of that?

8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Full range is supposed to be 310... Both of OP measurements are off by 1% which is entirely appropriate and expected..

9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

It can also be due to random variation. I have seen between 306 and 312 on range charges and between 274 - 282 on a 90% Charge. Virtually all numbers vary around a mean and you need a lot of data to determine trends. I see this even more on my Roadster.

• Helpful x 1
  10. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

So to add some data to this thread. Owner since February and have almost 10k miles.

Typically charge at home 70%-90%. Have used a dozen supercharges on road trips. Have full charged 6 times.

Range shows 313.

For comparison my 2016 S60d never showed 218 miles on a full charge. Most was 216 and at 10k miles in I was down to 208. By 20k miles it was 201.

Federate rebate dependant of course, I will not buy my Model X till it’s refreshed with the 2170 battery.

• Informative x 1