Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second hand 2016 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I got a 2016 Model S 75D with 32k miles on it (4-year warranty) for 42k$ + taxes and fees. The total is 47.488. On top of the standard equipment, it has AP with convenience features (AP1), sunroof, ultra high fidelity sound, HEPA filter, subzero weather package(just the steering wheel, rear seats, and wipers. No side mirrors), and power liftgate. I basically got everything but smart air suspension and FSD. I don't need Air suspensions since I have 19-inch tires. I was very interested in AP but I wasn't very interested in FSD which is incomplete anyway. So the car was perfect for me.

I want to share my experience of buying a second-hand tesla, ask some questions, and share some of the bad sides of the car to see whether any of them are things that need to be fixed asap.

The pictures of the car online were low quality. I ordered the car on May 13. My delivery appointment was on May 30(it needed to be delivered). I paid online before delivery. I live in Seattle and the car was in Bellevue. There were problems with the buses thanks to rioters/looters/coronavirus spreaders. But anyway I made it to the dealership. I talked to the employees and they showed me where my car is. Because of the virus you get into your car using your tesla profile to accept the car and then using your tesla app to unlock it, sign the documents inside the car, drop the documents in a box they tell you, and then drive off. I don't understand why they take coronavirus seriously though. If coronavirus was an extremely big deal, people wouldn't be rioting and looting in the streets and spreading it. Anyway, good thing I read through the owner's manual beforehand. Because they don't show you how the car works. I don't know if that is a second-hand car thing or if it is a coronavirus thing. I knew it was going to rain that day so I had my umbrella with me. And as soon as I got near my car, it started pouring and never stopped. It was my first time driving in the USA, my first time driving in 6 months, the weather was very bad, and roads were all blocked thanks to the rioters/looters/coronavirus spreaders. I had a checklist with me that I was going to use before accepting the car but I couldn't do that because it was raining so much (see delivery.jpg). So I did the checks I could and the car seemed fine. Of course, there are some minor exterior and interior issues but that's normal for a second-hand car that is half the price. I will talk about these minor issues and bigger issues below one by one. I was actually moving out to a house the same day and i needed to park my car close to my apartment to load in my stuff. had to talk to an officer to go through the police barricade. (see police barricade.jpg)

I want to talk about whether this was a great coronavirus deal or not. After I purchased my car, prices jumped like 10k. The cars which are similar to mine are now around 52k (clean history 2016 model S 75D with low mileage, 4-year warranty, and a lot of features).

Note: I am aware that some of the issues below are minor issues. I am writing them just to make a list of all the minor and non-minor negative things about the car so people can have an idea about the conditions of second-hand teslas. I am not nitpicking.

I thought I would get auto park, but I don't think I have auto park. I can't see anything about auto park on the autopilot menu. And i didn't get park signs while i was parking.

There were two key fobs in the car. The first one is fine and I am using that one with the model s key fob I got from the tesla store. But the second one is in very bad condition. I talked to them about it and they said they don't do refurbishments for second-hand cars. (see second key fob.jpg)

The bottom of the front trunk latch is rusted. I don't know if this is something that should be fixed asap. (see drunk latch.jpg)

The brake pedal doesn't have plastic/rubber on it. It is just metal. I don't know if this is something that should be fixed asap. (see brake peal.jpg)

The trunk cover is missing. Not the bottom trunk cover, the top trunk cover. Fortunately, I have the bottom trunk and the frunk to put expensive stuff when I leave the car where they are out of sight. (see trunk cover.jpg)

Metal parts on the bottom and top of trunk hydraulics are completely rusted. It doesn't look safe. I don't know if this is something that should be fixed asap. (see liftgate 1-4.jpg)

There are bugs inside back left lights and back right lights, There is even a small spider looking bug inside one of the dome lights. I have never seen bugs inside a car light before. There were even spider webs inside the but not much. (see bug 1-3.on Imgur link) Imgur

The car said it charges to 241 miles at 100% when I first got it(dragging mobile app charging limit all the way to the right). It said 245 for a while but it is down to 242 now. How many miles should this 2016 model s 75d with 32k miles on it have normally? Because the original range is 259 miles. I charge the car to 80% every night. Should I do some battery calibration cycles where I go below 10% and above 90%? (see range on Imgur)

A simple vacuuming of the interior and wiping of surfaces with a damp cloth(especially parts with water stains) would be appreciated.

The rearview mirror has some sort of a permanent stain on it. The shape is similar to fingerprints but it doesn't come off with rubbing or scratching with a nail. (see rearview on Imgur)

The remote climate control refused to work for some reason right when I needed it on a hot day. It seems to work now. (see climate on Imgur)

Sometimes I get the error "Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault." What causes this? Is this something that should be fixed? (see climate 2 on Imgur)

Is there a way to switch this lightning charger in the car with a type c charger? (see charger on Imgur)

Attachments

• delivery.jpeg
    delivery.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 93
  • police barricade.jpg
    police barricade.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 79
  • second key fob.jpg
    second key fob.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 69
  • frunk latch.jpg
    frunk latch.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 78
  • brake pedal.jpg
    brake pedal.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 83
  • trunk cover.jpg
    trunk cover.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 64
  • liftgate 1.jpg
    liftgate 1.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 73
  • liftgate 2.jpg
    liftgate 2.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 63
  • liftgate 3.jpg
    liftgate 3.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 79
  • liftgate 4.jpg
    liftgate 4.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
The car said it charges to 241 miles at 100% when I first got it(dragging mobile app charging limit all the way to the right). It said 245 for a while but it is down to 242 now. How many miles should this 2016 model s 75d with 32k miles on it have normally? Because the original range is 259 miles. I charge the car to 80% every night. Should I do some battery calibration cycles where I go below 10% and above 90%? (see range on Imgur)

~242 miles at 100% is quite normal and reasonably good for a 75 pack with your age/mileage.

Actually I am going to take back the "The pictures of the car online were low quality." comment. But because of the environment, it looks like there are tons of defeats on the paint. Which will hurt their chances of selling cars and selling them at higher prices. On top of that, there were two big stains on lower front bumper. I thought those were paint flakes when I looked at the pictures. Turns out they are just surface stains. I mean come on. You are selling cars here. Make them look good and people will buy them faster and at higher prices. Another example is the stain on the gear stick. It took me few seconds to get rid of that stain by rubbing my finger on it. But before buying the car, i didn't know if it was a permanent/deep stain or just a surface stain.

2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E25GF155614 | False, Fa | Tesla

That is all very minor. When buying a used car from Tesla one should be prepared to have to spend some money to fix little things like that. No other dealer operates this way but it’s currently the way Tesla operates their used car business. The coronavirus deals were happening in March and April when inventory was high. I’m still kicking myself for not buying two months ago.

Buying used from Tesla seems kind of like buying from an auction, you get the car "as is" and your pre-purchase inspection ability is about the same, or less if you have have to inspect it outside in the rain. The only thing you get from Tesla is any additional CPO warranty (on top of any remaining manufacturer warranty). I'd be really curious about the price difference of CPO car vs. auction car. Typically you'd expect about $10K on a car like this. The question then becomes, is the additional CPO warranty worth $10K?

To me, $10K less than Tesla from a private owner where I get to inspect and test drive a car before hand would probably the preferred way if I wanted to buy a used one.