Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second hand market coming to its senses?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C

candida

Because I was bored today I clicked on update valuation from WBAC for my M3P.

This was today

Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 16.42.03.png

This was 3 weeks ago
Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 16.45.36.png

Last October it was £51k! (I've put 3k miles on it since then but it's only at 12k now).

2nd hand market finally showing some sense or oversupply with WBAC overwhelmed with 3 owners selling for a Y?

(Before anyone suggests it, I'm not complaining, nor am I planning to sell. But I am interested in the jumping about)

EDITED to insert model and variant

Because I was bored today I clicked on update valuation from WBAC for my M3P.

This was today

View attachment 771247

This was 3 weeks ago
View attachment 771249

Last October it was £51k! (I've put 3k miles on it since then but it's only at 12k now).

2nd hand market finally showing some sense or oversupply with WBAC overwhelmed with 3 owners selling for a Y?

(Before anyone suggests it, I'm not complaining, nor am I planning to sell. But I am interested in the jumping about)

EDITED to insert model and variant
Thats why I sold mine end of January

If new orders are out in November then yes possibly even worse than before - normally 4 months wait max so far

Oh yes, Tesla had three cars of the same age and specification as mine last month that were all up for more than new prices.

They're all gone, presumably sold. I wouldn't pay more than new prices for a second hand car, but there clearly are people who will.

No, it’s seasonality. New models coming out in Q4 coupled with the turnover into a new year (making your 1 year old car now a 2 year old car based on calendar year). Expect used car prices to go up again in Q2 through Q3.

Why? Because none of the macro externalities depressing chip supply and logistics has changed and will continue to lead to a cycle of -> less new cars (by some measure 2021 new cars produced were nearly 2-3MM fewer than in 2019) -> less used cars, which will face constant or higher demand as we go into spring and summer.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Thats why I sold mine end of January
Me too. I knew that this couldn’t last. I sold my Tiguan in January on Carwow as soon as I ordered the Y. They paid me more than I paid for it in 2020 so happy days! Gave me a nice big deposit for our Y. Even happier days!

The only other time that this has happened to me was when I sold a 2008 RS Turbo and the chap was desperate. Although if I had kept it I would have made a nice fat profit today… oh well!

Reactions: candida
What really makes me sad is seeing the my old that I traded in with Tesla in Dec last year, selling for £6000 more than they gave me, which was in turn £2500 more than I paid for it in June last year but the saddest part is that I miss it so much, I'm considering trading the Tesla and buying her back or one very much like her.

But the thought of paying some £8000 or so more than I did almost a year ago for a car that is now a year older, not to mention what I'll lose on the Tesla, kind of makes me ill.

It's actually worth more than my Tesla now, crazy...

no wonder I partake of a small drink on a school night 🤬

Some time later... I've just asked for a price from Cazoo for my M3 LR with tow bar, 6 months old with 5k on the clock. As new condition, they quoted a mere £46,525. The same car new is just under £60k... and I would not get it until Q1 2023. Disappointed!

Some time later... I've just asked for a price from Cazoo for my M3 LR with tow bar, 6 months old with 5k on the clock. As new condition, they quoted a mere £46,525. The same car new is just under £60k... and I would not get it until Q1 2023. Disappointed!
Sounds low. WBAC are offering me £43k for a Sep 21 SR+ with 9k on it…..