Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second hand owners and extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting conflicting answers regarding this. Can a second owner of a Model S purchase an extended warranty (4 yrs/50k miles) before the original factory warranty expires? I have heard rumors that Tesla will not sell extended warranties to anyone except the original owner. If this is the case, do extended warranties transfer to new owners when the car is sold private party?

I am getting conflicting answers regarding this. Can a second owner of a Model S purchase an extended warranty (4 yrs/50k miles) before the original factory warranty expires? I have heard rumors that Tesla will not sell extended warranties to anyone except the original owner. If this is the case, do extended warranties transfer to new owners when the car is sold private party?

Initial owner only (but transferable), and it's within 30 days AFTER the initial warranty expires. First paragraph of the agreement:

Vehicle Extended Service Terms And Conditions, United States

These Tesla Motors, Inc.1 (“Tesla”) Vehicle Extended Service Terms and Conditions (“Vehicle ESA”) cover the repair or
replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla of the subject Vehicle that occur under normal use in the event of a Failure for the selected period of time or mileage (whichever occurs first), with coverage becoming available on and retroactive to the date that Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires (the “Effective Date”), provided that You are the initial purchaser of the Vehicle directly from Tesla and purchase this Vehicle ESA no later than 30 days after such expiration date, or are the recipient of a valid transfer of this ESA pursuant to this Vehicle ESA. This Vehicle ESA is subject to the following terms, conditions, limitations, extensions, exceptions and definitions and does not cover, among other specified items, Your Vehicle’s Battery and Drive Unit; for Battery extended coverage for Roadster vehicles, please ask a Tesla representative about Tesla’s Battery Extended Service Agreement. No person has the authority to change this Vehicle ESA or to waive any of its provisions. This Vehicle ESA is for Your sole benefit and applies only to the vehicle for which it is purchased.

(later in document)

J. Transfer and Cancellation by Customer

1. You may transfer this Vehicle ESA to a different private owner of the same Vehicle or, based upon the calculation
specified in Section J(2)(a) through (c) below, as a credit applied to the purchase of a new Vehicle ESA for a new or
Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) Tesla vehicle purchased by You, provided that you contact Tesla prior to any such
transfer or purchase and submit the following:

• A written request for Tesla to transfer this Vehicle ESA to the new owner or apply it as a credit to the purchase of
a new Vehicle ESA for Your purchase of a new or CPO Tesla vehicle.
• A copy of documentation evidencing (1) change of ownership and mileage at date of sale or (2) the purchase
agreement (e.g., Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) for the purchase of a new or CPO Tesla vehicle.
• Payment of a $100 transfer fee for a transfer to a new owner of the Vehicle.
• Written documentation verifying all maintenance requirements have been met for the Vehicle during the

Agreement Period for this Vehicle ESA.

The following conditions are required for the valid transfer of this Vehicle ESA:
• The Vehicle is subject to inspection by Tesla.
• Transfer must take place within 30 days of change of ownership or at least 10 days prior to the delivery of a new
or CPO Tesla vehicle.
• You may not transfer this Vehicle ESA to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer.
• All remaining underlying warranties and documentation must be transferred to the new owner.

Last edited:
Good to know. I have known some second owners who were able to buy Extended Warranties interestingly enough. Nonetheless, it seems it would be best to have the original owner buy the ESA before he sells the car to me and then transfer it to me.