Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second hand pricing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

First post so hopefully not treading on any toes.

I have been looking for a 2015 P85D to buy on lease. Saw the one at Tesla a week back ($130K drive away with low mileage) but by the time I’d got a quote from the leasing company etc, etc it was gone. Now I am seeing a few on Carsales but they are way more expensive, $170K in one instance. I am trying to understand what options could be on these cars to push the price up. Not to mention seeing the ad on here not long ago at the other extreme for $100K. All of them advertise as being ‘fully loaded’, so am trying to understand the disparity in pricing.

I already have 3-phase at home, and have a 100Km commute each day so the $360 odd a month in fuel costs is making it very attractive, not to mention the performance capabilities.

Anything sub $150k is a bargain for a P85D, they are still quite desirable, reasonably rare, and were over $250k new not that long ago. There are lots of options that you could add to them at the time since they weren't all bundled together - e.g. when I bought my car the fog lights and parking sensors were discrete options. Bang for buck they are incredible value.

Keep an eye on https://www.teslainventory.com/ (make sure you choose the Australia flag from top right). FYI I have no affiliation at all with this site, just seems to do a good job showing all available cars. Also note: pricing on the page doesn't always match the Tesla Australia site.

Also - you don't have to use their referral code - grab one from someone on this site to get lifetime free supercharging.

Shane.

Also - you don't have to use their referral code - grab one from someone on this site to get lifetime free supercharging.

Referral codes are only good for New or Inventory cars... would not apply to any CPO/used P85Ds. Luckily, all P85Ds sold already should have free unlimited supercharging included.

The P85D really is the sweet spot of price/performance. They're even more rare in Australia, but if you can find one with the Performance Plus (+) suspension (only two such CPOs have been sold that way in Australia). That's what some of us call the best car Tesla made. Dual motors, performance motor/inverter (0-60 in 3.1 seconds), Next Gen seats, Autopilot Version 1, and the + suspension from the P85+. (Look for the PX01 option code).

Apologies for the late response, am travelling overseas for work.

Appreciate all the comments and insights. I can sort of see a similarity in the 2014/2015 E63 Mercedes which I was also looking at, as they have almost halved in price from their $240K new price. Yet the C63 from the same years have barely lost 25% of their cost.

I will keep looking with a new appreciation of the cars :)

Keep an eye on https://www.teslainventory.com/ (make sure you choose the Australia flag from top right). FYI I have no affiliation at all with this site, just seems to do a good job showing all available cars. Also note: pricing on the page doesn't always match the Tesla Australia site.

Shane.

Why does this link show cars for sale and when I go to the Tesla official website...these cars do not show in Tesla's used car inventory page?
However, if I click a link from the tesla inventory site...it will redirect me to that car for sale on Tesla's official site.
If that makes sense.

For example, right now on the Tesla official site...there is only 1 Model X listed in the used car inventory
The tesla inventory website has 6 Model X's for sale in Australia.

Why does this link show cars for sale and when I go to the Tesla official website...these cars do not show in Tesla's used car inventory page?
However, if I click a link from the tesla inventory site...it will redirect me to that car for sale on Tesla's official site.
If that makes sense.

For example, right now on the Tesla official site...there is only 1 Model X listed in the used car inventory
I think they prefer you go in to talk to them...

If that makes sense.

It works for me, there's 1 each of S & X CPO(pre-owned used cars) and 4 each of Inventory cars https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/inventory/new/mx?arrangeby=plh&range=0

OP, options do affect pricing but the main reason for the wide range of prices is that some sellers have wildly optimistic expectations. It's not just a Tesla phenomenon; you'll find it with all brands. Another reason is that some would-be sellers may not want to sell. "OK dear. I'll sell the car then. I'll put it on carsales right now."

Hi All,

First post so hopefully not treading on any toes.

I have been looking for a 2015 P85D to buy on lease. Saw the one at Tesla a week back ($130K drive away with low mileage) but by the time I’d got a quote from the leasing company etc, etc it was gone. Now I am seeing a few on Carsales but they are way more expensive, $170K in one instance. I am trying to understand what options could be on these cars to push the price up. Not to mention seeing the ad on here not long ago at the other extreme for $100K. All of them advertise as being ‘fully loaded’, so am trying to understand the disparity in pricing.

I already have 3-phase at home, and have a 100Km commute each day so the $360 odd a month in fuel costs is making it very attractive, not to mention the performance capabilities.

I have a fully loaded P85D coming off lease shortly. I will likely be handing it back for the guaranteed payout figure so you are may want to have a look and take it before then. PM me.

Right now, on the Australia Tesla.com website, I'm seeing:
Model S new: 4 cars
Model S used: 1 cars
Model X new: 4 cars
Model X used: 1 cars

Total: 10 cars. And this is also what's listed at EV-CPO.com as well as the other sites.

If that makes sense.

Yes,all the 3rd-party CPO/Inventory websites work the same way. We all pull down the data from the Tesla.com website and consolidate the listings for easier searching/filtering/sorting, and provide links back to the Tesla.com website for you to buy directly from Tesla. Each site offers different features and user interface options.

Thanks everyone.

Just also wondering on second hand Tesla's for sale in Australia.
Does the luxury car tax still apply to used cars?
I was under the assumption that it does not...but could be wrong.

I just moved to Australia from America and have just now "got over" the AUS Tesla pricing compared to America.
But still a bit confused with the luxury car tax (what a ridiculous concept).

Thanks everyone.

Just also wondering on second hand Tesla's for sale in Australia.
Does the luxury car tax still apply to used cars?
I was under the assumption that it does not...but could be wrong.

I just moved to Australia from America and have just now "got over" the AUS Tesla pricing compared to America.
But still a bit confused with the luxury car tax (what a ridiculous concept).

Nope - which is why I bought a 12month old CPO car - someone else paid the tax for me :)

No, LCT is not applicable on 2nd hand cars (unless they have appreciated in value) on the proviso that it has already been paid. So dealer demonstrators would still need it paid etc. even if they have 5000km on them.
Just be thankful Tesla doesn't apply the Australia Tax like all other car manufacturers do. You'd be shocked to find out that a Merc S550, which can be had for a little more than an S75D in the USA, retails for $290k here, before options.

Reactions: Mark E