Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second hand teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my name down for a model x which they are promising by next year. In the meantime I have been checking out the second hand market for a model s. The weird thing is that most of these are equal or higher priced than a new custom car.

What are your thoughts?

I have my name down for a model x which they are promising by next year. In the meantime I have been checking out the second hand market for a model s. The weird thing is that most of these are equal or higher priced than a new custom car.

What are your thoughts?

When the Mercedes SLK230s came out in the late '90s you could buy a new one for around $100k and wait or by a second hand one for up to $120k and get it now. Since I waited 3 years for mine though I'm not in any hurry to sell. I'm surprised to see some of the very first pre-release (i.e. No radar cruise, autopilot, limited parking sensor) cars on the market for more than a new config price though.

Truth is that right now there aren't many cars for sale.

Hmmm, see what you mean.
So far only a few Model S have come up for sale and those that are reasonably priced have been sold.
The remaining cars for sale seem to have - "optimistic expectations" - of their current market value so all you can do is make an offer.
Tesla will most likely have some demos available or you can put your name down, just be aware some of the Tesla demos were built prior to the Autopilot hardware upgrade.

I was faced with the same issue a month ago and th second hand market just doesn't exist yet. The solution came with a phone call from Tesla SC in Sydney. They had an inventory car with the perfect spec for me, perfect price and about 3 thousand Ks. They serviced it, touched up wheel scuffs and I picked it up in a week. It also stills sells as essentially new so I get the guaranteed buyback.

If you are in Sydney, I had Nathan at the St Leonards SC and he was great. Ask if they have inventory models as they turn them over regularly and should have a number of options for you (they even have cars that they are using but you can reserve and get them in a month when they are finished).

Good luck, please post with what you come up with!

My understanding is that Tesla don't make cars just to have them sat around waiting for a buyer like traditional car makers.

Therefore an "inventory" car will have been used as a demonstration car for test drives, a static display, a loan car or possibly a customer order that for whatever reason didn't go through to completion (but likely lost a significant deposit).

That is not an issue as such as long as the warranty is still available, car has been checked over and any minor damage corrected in my mind.

Opportunists. When new model cars have a waiting list, there are often early delivery recipients who'll attempt to sell the car on at a profit to someone who doesn't want to wait.

I remember going into the Classic Throttle Shop in North Sydney a few years back and saw a brand new (for then) VW Scirocco on display. The For Sale sign, accompanied by a inflated price, said something like: 'Avoid the 12 month wait. Available for immediate delivery'. This dealer probably does that a lot as I've been in there another time during the era when the Porsche 991 was just being released and they had one of those or sale at a inflated price also.

One year on for Tesla Australia and the wait down to about 3 months (?), it's hard to believe anyone would bother buying a used one with old specification at a premium price just to avoid waiting a few months - and getting a better spec.

One year on for Tesla Australia and the wait down to about 3 months (?), it's hard to believe anyone would bother buying a used one with old specification at a premium price just to avoid waiting a few months - and getting a better spec.

There are some that absolutely must have something now, if they were to wait three months something else shiny would have already got their attention!

I was faced with the same issue a month ago and th second hand market just doesn't exist yet. The solution came with a phone call from Tesla SC in Sydney. They had an inventory car with the perfect spec for me, perfect price and about 3 thousand Ks. They serviced it, touched up wheel scuffs and I picked it up in a week. It also stills sells as essentially new so I get the guaranteed buyback.

If you are in Sydney, I had Nathan at the St Leonards SC and he was great. Ask if they have inventory models as they turn them over regularly and should have a number of options for you (they even have cars that they are using but you can reserve and get them in a month when they are finished).

Good luck, please post with what you come up with!

If you don't mind me asking I'd love to know what price you got it for (pm me if you don't want to post here) or tell me to bugger off if you don't want to reveal ;).

I had work quote me up a lease and inwas soooo close but about $200 a month off for me to afford.

I'm waiting on the x to come out here which will hopefully make a. More s's come on the second hand market and b. Cause a price drop for the same.

As a previous poster said, the realistically priced second hand one's sell pretty quickly.

Hi Houdini,

No I don't mind. I paid $202k (on road) for my P85D with every single option (excluding a rear spoiler which I added later). I wouldn't have had all of those options if I specced it myself - especially the sub zero package, but it is nice to have everything.

They had a couple of others to chose from at the time that were around the same money. Bear in mind this was just days before the price rise and I think that the same car now would be around $45k more expensive (brand new of course - mine had 3 thousand ks).

Coming back to the original thread - there were only 2 other (essentially new) P85Ds for sale at the time on carsales and they were both asking between $205k and $215k plus on roads. I agree with those that say that they were perhaps a bit optimistic or opportunist, but either way the factory backed car for less was a no brainer.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I just specified my current car to be shocked to find it now costs $30000.00 odd more than I paid for it. At least $32500 of that is one or other tax/ registration fee!! The LCT is an abomination, and stamp duty is not much better!! The taxes do not include GST since it is not listed separately! So, that figure is still wrong and the government has its hands even deeper into our pockets. Of course, we have to pay for all that foreign aid and support for refugees, so the money has to come from somewhere. Not to mention endless Polly perks, helicopter flights, overseas trips all expenses paid first class and the like! Those guys have obviously never heard of video conferencing! Shock horror, that might save some massive expenses.
Are we all mugs? It certainly seems so!

I just specified my current car to be shocked to find it now costs $30000.00 odd more than I paid for it. At least $32500 of that is one or other tax/ registration fee!! The LCT is an abomination, and stamp duty is not much better!! The taxes do not include GST since it is not listed separately! So, that figure is still wrong and the government has its hands even deeper into our pockets. Of course, we have to pay for all that foreign aid and support for refugees, so the money has to come from somewhere. Not to mention endless Polly perks, helicopter flights, overseas trips all expenses paid first class and the like! Those guys have obviously never heard of video conferencing! Shock horror, that might save some massive expenses.
Are we all mugs? It certainly seems so!
Don't get me started on this subject dborn.....it's outright dishonesty, thuggery, and stupidity - but hey we elect those that are popular as opposed to those that are skilled, so I guess thats what we get for not selecting talent. As an aside I was reading how those thugs in the middle east charge a christian tax if 50%, and that thr reporter considered it outrageous extortion.
When I add my income tax, gst, lct, medicare, rates, emergency services levies, water levies, company tax, stamp duties, payroll tax, land tax, registrations....and so on, I get well over 50%, so we are well beyond the outragious extortion of the thugs.

Don't get me started on this subject dborn.....it's outright dishonesty, thuggery, and stupidity - but hey we elect those that are popular as opposed to those that are skilled, so I guess thats what we get for not selecting talent. As an aside I was reading how those thugs in the middle east charge a christian tax if 50%, and that thr reporter considered it outrageous extortion.
When I add my income tax, gst, lct, medicare, rates, emergency services levies, water levies, company tax, stamp duties, payroll tax, land tax, registrations....and so on, I get well over 50%, so we are well beyond the outragious extortion of the thugs.

...and don't forget FBT, PAYG, custom duties ... OMG you got ME going! Ohmmm. Think about our Teslas. Ohmmm...

Hi Houdini,

No I don't mind. I paid $202k (on road) for my P85D with every single option (excluding a rear spoiler which I added later). I wouldn't have had all of those options if I specced it myself - especially the sub zero package, but it is nice to have everything.

They had a couple of others to chose from at the time that were around the same money. Bear in mind this was just days before the price rise and I think that the same car now would be around $45k more expensive (brand new of course - mine had 3 thousand ks).

Coming back to the original thread - there were only 2 other (essentially new) P85Ds for sale at the time on carsales and they were both asking between $205k and $215k plus on roads. I agree with those that say that they were perhaps a bit optimistic or opportunist, but either way the factory backed car for less was a no brainer.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. Good deal you got for sure. I would guess the demo models would be well specc'd to show everything off so it would be unlikely you'd get a 70d as a demo or loan car.