Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Letter for Tesla motors regarding the Model X autopilot crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A plane has autopilot. A plane also has pilots. Autopilot will follow an indicated path, but when the autopilot system senses a situation it cannot handle it asks that the pilot take over.
That's why Tesla called the system Autopilot. I'm sure they thought that people would understand the analogy.
OK. I have not flown much in 15 years and not with very sophisticated navigation systems (RNAV was as good as it got). But I never had an AP ask me to take over. It would fly me into a mountain if I set the speed, course and elevation. And forget other obstacles like planes, weather etc.

To me my Tesla AP is much more sophisticated than the average aircraft AP.

Am I the only one that sympathizes for the guy? I am a big fan of autopilot and I understand that Tesla is not responsible (my favorite feature on the X), but the notion to refuse to listen to someones perspective and merely criticizing is not a viable response. Surely we would all be pissed if our brand new Tesla crashed, regardless of autopilot and who is at fault. We don't know what this guy assumed autopilot to be? When autopilot first rolled out, the media called it self-driving...obviously the vast majority of us understand that this is not the case. Moreover, I would be willing to believe that a sales rep at the Tesla store mentioned self-driving and demonstrated this by removing the hands, from my personal experience I receive a different response when I inquire about service plans for the X so remember to account for all perspectives even if you do not agree.

Here is the second letter from my friend, Mr.Pang.

To Tesla Team:

Did your friend Mr. Pang send this ridiculous fake complaint to nhtsa?

Date Complaint Filed: 09/05/2016
Date of Incident: 09/04/2016
Component(s): STEERING , UNKNOWN OR OTHER , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
NHTSA ID Number: 10903686
Consumer Location: Unknown

All Products Associated with this Complaint
Details
question-mark.png

0 Available Documents

• Crash:No
  • Fire:No
  • Number of Injuries:0
  • Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Tesla Motors, Inc.

Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): UNKNOWN...

SUMMARY:
THIS IS A COMPLAINT ABOUT THE TESLA AUTOPILOT HERE IS A VIDEO THAT WAS UPLOADED ON SEPT 04 2016:
HERE IS WHAT APPEARS TO BE A TESLA EMPLOYEE DEMONSTRATING AUTOPILOT TO A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER AND ENCOURAGING HIM TO DRIVE HANDS FREE. THE AUTOPILOT IS STILL PERMITTING HANDS FREE DRIVING WITHOUT SOUNDING ANY ALARMS. THE PASSENGER/DEMONSTRATOR ASSURES HIM THAT TESLA MONITORS THE ROAD AND CONSTANTLY IMPROVES BY SELF LEARNING. I UNDERSTAND THAT AN INQUIRY INTO THE TESLA AUTOPILOT IS UNDERWAY. PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE HOW OWNERS ARE STILL BEING GIVEN FALSE CONFIDENCE IN THE SYSTEM.

Am I the only one that sympathizes for the guy?

It's looking increasingly likely, yes.

Have you followed this story from the beginning? If so, you should have seen the inconsistencies and inaccuracies in Pang's statements.

I tend to agree with others here that it's probably not worth commenting on any more. Pang is desperately trying to apportion blame to Tesla when it seems increasingly likely all the blame is on him. If he is that confident in his statements, he should go after Tesla with a lawyer. Talk is cheap.

I sympathize with him for the damage and injury to his car and passenger but can't agree with his perspective.

He didn't understand what he was doing, he doesn't understand Tesla's response, and still doesn't understand AP at all. All the changes to the story and the confusion about what steering and braking tells me that he never should have turned it on ever and maybe shouldn't be allowed to drive period AP or not.

Am I the only one that sympathizes for the guy? I am a big fan of autopilot and I understand that Tesla is not responsible (my favorite feature on the X), but the notion to refuse to listen to someones perspective and merely criticizing is not a viable response. Surely we would all be pissed if our brand new Tesla crashed, regardless of autopilot and who is at fault. We don't know what this guy assumed autopilot to be? When autopilot first rolled out, the media called it self-driving...obviously the vast majority of us understand that this is not the case. Moreover, I would be willing to believe that a sales rep at the Tesla store mentioned self-driving and demonstrated this by removing the hands, from my personal experience I receive a different response when I inquire about service plans for the X so remember to account for all perspectives even if you do not agree.
You have nearly 2000 posts but maybe you didn't follow from the first Pang letter. I don't want to tear into the guy but his statements are so inconsistent and he takes zero responsibility for using AP on that road. Now he was supposedly seriously injured? I don't remember reading anything about that in the first Pang letter. Am I wrong TMC? " Mr. Huang was injured severely due to high
speed impact. " Is he talking in the third person now?
Not understanding AP is no excuse. Tesla is big in China so I assume Mandarin is available on the car and it appears he just did not bother to take the time to learn about the car he was driving. So do I sympathize? Only for his damaged auto. The injuries appear to be made up.

Reactions: dehydratedH2O
For what it's worth and from my experience with autopilot (yes, it should be called that still), I believe Mr. Pang when he says, "it happened so quickly, less than a second" and "the car continued to drive after hitting the first pole". For the latter being that even though he took control, TACC may still have been engaged.

That being said, it really doesn't change who is at fault here.

Reactions: dehydratedH2O
What this all boils down to is that there is no shortage of people driving around in all sorts of vehicles with and without 'driver aids' who refuse to take responsibility when something goes wrong and simply blame someone or something else for their lack of skill or attentiveness.

If you don't want the responsibility, take a bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.