Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Model S on fire (October 18th, 2013 in Merida, Mexico).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes lets expedite delivery of another Model S to a man who drukenly destroyed it and fled the scene...lol

Where do Model S's get delivered and serviced in Mexico? Didn't think they had a service center or dealership there.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you walk out of that without serious injuries?! I don't understand how that's possible! Tesla is truely an amazing car

The air bags probably deployed, but can't see them in the pic since they were torched/melted? :)

The Model S in Mexico protected the driver more than they necessarily deserved, given his apparent disregard for sensible driving.

I'm curious: It seems to me that Model S's are having 'incidents' at a higher rate than other cars. I wonder if this is because the Model S is more car than the buyers are used to handling? In other words, Model S's accelerate so quickly and quietly that owners may not be aware of their speed until it's too late. I'm not a Model S owner (yet), but have had a Chevy Volt since March 2011. I did notice that I was usually going 10 mph faster than I thought I was for the first few months because of how quiet an EV is. But the Volt's acceleration is only average, not anything like the Model S.

I have been following Volt news for fires for years, and to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been a single Volt fire in nearly half-a-billion miles on the road (only one at several weeks after an NHTSA test where the battery wasn't depleted). And there have been some horrific Volt accidents (which haven't resulted in any fires):

eea649dd_chevy-volt-destroyed-crash-no-fire-628.jpeg

Voltcrash1.jpg

Car light is on - 12V battery and circuitry are still intact after all that fire and explosion? Is 12Vbattery at the back of the car? Or picture taken BEFORE car catch on fire?

12V is in front. I think you are seeing a reflection. The light appears to be coming from the charge port door, which is is a reflector. There's no light there when the charge port door is closed.

Did the drivers survive those horrific accidents? I'd rather walk away from a car that later ignites than get crushed in a car that never ignites.

The red one was unoccupied, but the battery was fully charged. An airborne Toyota Camry piloted by a drunk college student hit a berm and landed on top of the Volt. The Camry actually caught fire, but the Volt did not.

The only occupant in the black Volt (the driver), "suffered only a black eye, arm lacerations and stitches to her left foot", no broken bones or serious injuries. This is her a day or two after the accident:

668xNxVoltcrash2.jpg

The red one was unoccupied, but the battery was fully charged. An airborne Toyota Camry piloted by a drunk college student hit a berm and landed on top of the Volt. The Camry actually caught fire, but the Volt did not.

The only occupant in the black Volt (the driver), "suffered only a black eye, arm lacerations and stitches to her left foot", no broken bones or serious injuries. This is her a day or two after the accident:

View attachment 34173

pretty impressive...pics speak volume.. I never thought volt is solid as tank.. GM in my mind is tank of different kind..

if they reduce price to 20k after rebate it will be pretty hard to ignore when it come to EV-plugin car without worry of range etc..

Did the drivers survive those horrific accidents? I'd rather walk away from a car that later ignites than get crushed in a car that never ignites.

Current Volt owner here, with a MS85 on order. Of the two photos posted above, the top one is of a Volt that was destroyed by a collision while sitting unoccupied. The second photo is of a crash that occurred when the car was struck causing it to roll down an embankment and overturn several times. The driver survived with only a mildly injured foot and some bumps and bruises. Both of those photos/stories have made the rounds on the Volt owner's forums. The Volt is also a NHTSA 5-Star rated vehicle.