Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Reveal Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love it if the Model ☰ Reveal Part II had Elon begin by congratulating General Motors for the brave release of the BOLT. He could speak of how well it had sold and how that was a good (though perhaps tentative) step in the direction he'd like to see the rest of the traditional automotive industry move toward. Then, it would be extra special cool if he were then to show off an either free or low cost completely unauthorized by GM adapter that would allow a BOLT to use a Supercharger in order to demonstrate Tesla's dedication to a proper competitive environment among EVs. Perhaps with video playing behind him of someone easily and successfully fast charging a BOLT at a Supercharger.
Not sure that I would like this....namely in California where we have had super lengthily threads about their congestion issues. I would hope that Tesla would clear up their California congestion issues before offering an initiation to non-Tesla dealers.

M3's in Q4'17? Maybe, but being a couple-hundred thousand out I would be lucky to see the car in Q2'18. Will order a S60 prior 10/15, when the referral link expires. Get a federal credit in the spring, drive a Model S for a couple years and see where we're at then. Maybe it's me, but I sense things are moving too slow.

I expect it after the Bolt release so they know the exact competition they are against. The Bolt will only help Tesla by bringing more EV press and they are only expecting 25-30k sales (up to 50k).

I will guess January so the February quarterly conference call is positive and the stock price gets a bump. It also gives they time for the Tesla Vision, Tesla Glass, new hardware and new computer chips are all going to work together.

M3's in Q4'17? Maybe, but being a couple-hundred thousand out I would be lucky to see the car in Q2'18. Will order a S60 prior 10/15, when the referral link expires. Get a federal credit in the spring, drive a Model S for a couple years and see where we're at then. Maybe it's me, but I sense things are moving too slow.

You live in LA and expect your car in Q2 18?... makes me sad...

I would love it if the Model ☰ Reveal Part II had Elon begin by congratulating General Motors for the brave release of the BOLT. He could speak of how well it had sold and how that was a good (though perhaps tentative) step in the direction he'd like to see the rest of the traditional automotive industry move toward. Then, it would be extra special cool if he were then to show off an either free or low cost completely unauthorized by GM adapter that would allow a BOLT to use a Supercharger in order to demonstrate Tesla's dedication to a proper competitive environment among EVs. Perhaps with video playing behind him of someone easily and successfully fast charging a BOLT at a Supercharger.

That would be cool IF and ONLY IF GM ceases and desist lobbying State legislators to ban Tesla stores in the various States.

Until then I would prefer for Mary Barra to be tarred and feathered.

tarred-feathered.jpg

Not sure that I would like this....namely in California where we have had super lengthily threads about their congestion issues. I would hope that Tesla would clear up their California congestion issues before offering an initiation to non-Tesla dealers.
Dealers? No. It would just be an accessory available from Tesla Stores or from their online shop to interested parties that own a BOLT. Maybe they would have to provide their VIN to qualify for a discount. Since the BOLT would not be low capacity, short range, or a plug-in hybrid, the adapter would not have to slow down to a trickle to service those cars at a Supercharger. So it wouldn't add to appreciable length to wait times at all.

Dealers? No. It would just be an accessory available from Tesla Stores or from their online shop to interested parties that own a BOLT. Maybe they would have to provide their VIN to qualify for a discount. Since the BOLT would not be low capacity, short range, or a plug-in hybrid, the adapter would not have to slow down to a trickle to service those cars at a Supercharger. So it wouldn't add to appreciable length to wait times at all.

But the Bolt will only be certified for 50 kWh charging.

I am 101% sure GM would not certify Bolt for Supercharger use.

I doubt Bolt owners would sign a waiver saying Tesla is not responsible for blown battery or voided GM warranties.

so here's a question. I have a Model-3 reservation which was made on the night of release just before the car was shown. I'd guestimate I'm in the sub first 100k vehicles. If I lease a S under that 2 year program can I delay my 3? or am I creating a mess?

so here's a question. I have a Model-3 reservation which was made on the night of release just before the car was shown. I'd guestimate I'm in the sub first 100k vehicles. If I lease a S under that 2 year program can I delay my 3? or am I creating a mess?

Initially Tesla said you can delay delivery of your Model 3 once and still keep your reservation.

But this is a good question to ask the manager of your local store and maybe corporate to get a definitive answer.

Initially Tesla said you can delay delivery of your Model 3 once and still keep your reservation.

But this is a good question to ask the manager of your local store and maybe corporate to get a definitive answer.
Why would anyone delay delivery? and if someone did....why would they be concerned about their reservation? Couldn't they just re-reserve? Or is it a matter of losing their place in line?

Why would anyone delay delivery? and if someone did....why would they be concerned about their reservation? Couldn't they just re-reserve? Or is it a matter of losing their place in line?

The original reservation agreement (dated 16 March) stated you would be allowed to defer and relinquish your reservation position once. This document has since been replaced by the "Terms and Conditions" currently on Teslas website, which interestingly makes no mention of the deferral option.

My question is will we see more mules on the road before the second reveal event?

We read a few months ago that Tesla ordered parts to make 300 or so test vehicles. Will these all be handmade? Prototype tooling? Production tooling? Options 1 & 2 will be expensive and if the design is finalized (supposedly it is), it makes sense to use the production tooling and tweak it as need be. Plus, this would be a much more accurate representation of the vehicle you'll be manufacturing instead of something cobbled together with different tooling.

But, that would mean we would see the final design out on the roads before the Reveal Part 2. How long can Tesla wait to get mules on the road? Real-world testing is very important, so this could suggest the rest of the reveal is coming up soon so they can get all the design stuff out of the way and start testing in public without spilling any beans. Would Tesla really spend all that money to build a bunch of Part 1-looking Model 3s just to keep the new design a secret surprise?

Or, the design we saw on Part 1 of the reveal is pretty much final and if Tesla starts getting mules out on the road, nobody would be none the wiser and the Reveal Part 2 can be pushed right up until release.

The big unknown is how much the car will change from Reveal Part 1, if at all.

Why? Say Tesla makes it's accelerated schedule for building Model 3s in huge quantities. You thought you had 2 years to save up for the care. Now you have maybe less than 18 months. You can't QUITE afford to buy the car YET - but you don't want to go to the back of what might be a million-car line by then.

Defer and you kick the can down the road without losing sight of the can...

Reactions: Red Sage

I doubt Bolt owners would sign a waiver saying Tesla is not responsible for blown battery or voided GM warranties.
Those doubts are understood. But I rather believe GM would have to purposely design the BOLT in such a way to eternally prevent DC Fast Charging in order to prevent Tesla Motors coming up with a way to manage it. If it has fast charging at all, I expect that the smart folks at Tesla may be able to improve upon what GM considers 'good enough' as a maximum recharge rate.

My question is will we see more mules on the road before the second reveal event?

We read a few months ago that Tesla ordered parts to make 300 or so test vehicles. Will these all be handmade? Prototype tooling? Production tooling? Options 1 & 2 will be expensive and if the design is finalized (supposedly it is), it makes sense to use the production tooling and tweak it as need be. Plus, this would be a much more accurate representation of the vehicle you'll be manufacturing instead of something cobbled together with different tooling.

But, that would mean we would see the final design out on the roads before the Reveal Part 2. How long can Tesla wait to get mules on the road? Real-world testing is very important, so this could suggest the rest of the reveal is coming up soon so they can get all the design stuff out of the way and start testing in public without spilling any beans. Would Tesla really spend all that money to build a bunch of Part 1-looking Model 3s just to keep the new design a secret surprise?

Or, the design we saw on Part 1 of the reveal is pretty much final and if Tesla starts getting mules out on the road, nobody would be none the wiser and the Reveal Part 2 can be pushed right up until release.

The big unknown is how much the car will change from Reveal Part 1, if at all.
The world is still just barely big enough that there are places where you can test a prototype vehicle without it being seen. I see lightly disguised prototype cars in my neighborhood all the time. Most of them are Daimler/Mercedes/smart vehicles. So, I guess this is just an area where they take their cars for a spin. I wouldn't doubt they probably rent time at a local PORSCHE test track too. But there are plenty of remote locations where no one would take a second look at a mule/prototype, even if they were noticed at all.

I wouldn't think this would be a problem, because the vehicle can communicate to the SC as to the maximum power it can accept - so theoretically, this could be made to work safety; however, I agree with your thought that GM would not allow it - all kinds of reasons - the proprietary nature of it, the fact that GM doesn't control the SC so therefore would be hesitant to trust it, not to mention the political side.