Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Row (7 seat config) not sliding up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all,

i have a 7 seat config that the second row no longer slides forward for easy entry.

i keep the car cleaned of any debris and get it detailed often, nothing visibly blocking the seat.

When i press the shoulder button (passenger side w/ 1 seat) i hear the unlatch, but the seat doesn't slide forward. a second later, the seat makes another noise, then the seat wants to fold flat. it's almost like it's bypassing the easy entry function completely.

anyone run into this issue? or is this something that will need to be looked at by SC.

I’ve heard of motors failing in the 2nd row seats. Probably have to go to service center for assessment.

Edit: misread your post. Looks like you have the newer folding 2nd row seats. Still probably have to take to Tesla.

Reactions: P85_DA
I have this exact same problem on my March 2018 MX 7-seater on the passenger side middle row seat. The service center first "ordered" a replacement seat in Feb 2019. I have taken my car in 3 times to have the replacement seat installed, but each time they have taken the car in for at least 1.5wks at a time, just to tell me later that the seat never arrived and to pick up my car until it does. So 6-months later, I am still waiting after 4 more order attempts. I am taking the car in on Tuesday for the service center tech to check if he can fix it in the shop. They believe it is a cable that has become un-hooked or snapped.

Hi Nate,

Do you have an Easy Entry profile set up???
I thought this was weird related to the split seat in the second row...
But since setting this up my second row worked better...

What works for me is pressing the "Easy Entry" button on the back of the seat,
I hear the electric latch release, I fold the seat back forward until I hear a click, after the click
the whole seat assembly will slide forward as far as needed BUT you have to push it into place.
As of my build and configuration there is no motor or assist on the seat sliding forward.

The reverse sequence is easier - No buttons to push.
Push/slide the whole seat assembly back until it clicks(locks) into position - Then you are able to
push the seat back into position and it will lock into place...

Mine is a 7 seat March 2018 build...

Shawn

Reactions: Snerruc
That would be super handy, right now my 6 and 8 year old have to push with all their might to move them. I mean, they slide, but definitely not on their own, and way less easily than I would expect given that there's a mechanical latch that detaches first.

That would be super handy, right now my 6 and 8 year old have to push with all their might to move them. I mean, they slide, but definitely not on their own, and way less easily than I would expect given that there's a mechanical latch that detaches first.

I'm not sure but I think there is a 7 seat folding config and a 7 seat motorized config. I don't know which was offered when. If you look at this badly made youtube video, it shows him moving the middle row but I don't think these fold. Personally, I would prefer they fold down than be motorized.

Update

Had mobile service come to the house today and diagnose the issue.

Confirmed that there looks to be a wire that was dislodged and he did not have the part in his van. he is escalating the issue to "engineering" to see when the replacement part can be ordered or if they prefer to replace the entire seat.

not fun, but at least they came to my house and was done within an hour.

100% would recommend mobile service

Drove the car for the first time since servicing and another thing to deal with... grrrr

Attachments

• F45C99E0-F6C0-4558-90F3-48273437DB4B.jpeg
    F45C99E0-F6C0-4558-90F3-48273437DB4B.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 246
Update 2

Just got a call from Manny in Service (same mobile tech that’s been to my house twice).

He told me that he’s received approval to replace the entire seat and he’s now waiting on word when the seat will be delivered so he can install.

I appreciate being kept in the loop.

Will update

Reactions: TJPDX
After waiting since February for my second row seat replacement (due to this not sliding forward after hitting the button), my seat was finally replaced today. They tried to fix it in house, but were not able to. The seat was supposedly ordered 4 previous times, but it seems like these seats are short on supply and high in demand. Just glad that it is finally resolved.

After waiting since February for my second row seat replacement (due to this not sliding forward after hitting the button), my seat was finally replaced today. They tried to fix it in house, but were not able to. The seat was supposedly ordered 4 previous times, but it seems like these seats are short on supply and high in demand. Just glad that it is finally resolved.
So did you have to bring it to a SC?