Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second row legroom in Model X vs Model S - difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been discussed - I couldn't find the answer when searching threads. It looks to me from photos like the Model X 2nd row seats can be slid back to provide a much roomier 2nd row experience for adult passengers vs the Model X - is this true?

Sorry if this has been discussed - I couldn't find the answer when searching threads. It looks to me from photos like the Model X 2nd row seats can be slid back to provide a much roomier 2nd row experience for adult passengers vs the Model X - is this true?

You've got 12 inches of adjustment room for the middle seats and it would take an exceptionally tall person to want their front seat all the way back (I'm 6' tall and had the driver's seat at about the middle of its travel to be comfortable) I'd say, yes, with a reasonably configured front seat you will have a very roomy middle seat experience in the X. But if the front seats are all the way back, the middle row gets a little "tight"

We drove a Model X today. I'm 5'11" and like to drive with my legs more extended vs flexed. My son, who is 5'8", sat behind me and did not have a lot of extra leg room. Moreover, the middle seat of the second row has limited head, leg, and hip room--really more appropriate for a child vs an adult.

We drove a Model X today. I'm 5'11" and like to drive with my legs more extended vs flexed. My son, who is 5'8", sat behind me and did not have a lot of extra leg room. Moreover, the middle seat of the second row has limited head, leg, and hip room--really more appropriate for a child vs an adult.

Thanks for the info - did he extend the middle row all the way back? I'm just imagining a scenario going out with three adult friends but nobody in the third row to worry about, if we could push back the middle row to the point where they had lots of room.

I just took delivery of my Signature Model X last week. It was purchased sight unseen, of course, with only pics of the reveal to go on.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to use it for transporting the grandkids on a daily basis. The pic below is of my 3 year old granddaughter in her safety seat in the third row. Even though I had XPEL installed on most of the driver's seat back, I took off her shoes for reasons that should be obvious. Now, she has coltish long legs at this age, but there's no way she can avoid putting her feet on the driver's seat back.
2nd Row.jpg

So I tried her car seat in the third row. That's a little better, since she can angle her legs to the space between the two seats in the second row. The problem is that it's more difficult to buckle her in when the safety seat is in the third row.
3rd Row.jpg

Maybe it's the brand of safety seat we're using, but the Model X doesn't have much space between the seat rows unless you can take advantage of the space below the seat in front of you (which she can't).

Anyone have a better idea for transporting young 'uns?

Attachments

• 2nd Row.jpg
    2nd Row.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 219
Thanks for sharing. It always seemed from the pix online that X had less space than S, not accounting for how far back driver is.

Can you put the second row back more to give her more room? Someone posted the measurements on another thread, but it's all dependent on driver seat placement, as well as second row.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I notice a cookie in one picture. You are braver than me! My S is 3 years old and I still won't let my little kids eat in it.

Thanks for sharing. It always seemed from the pix online that X had less space than S, not accounting for how far back driver is.

Can you put the second row back more to give her more room? Someone posted the measurements on another thread, but it's all dependent on driver seat placement, as well as second row.

- - - Updated - - -

The second row was all the way back. I'm only 5' 8", so the driver's seat was NOT all the way back. After checking out her safety seat in both third and second rows we decided that my granddaughter will be riding shoeless...

Last edited:
The second row was all the way back. I'm only 5' 8", so the driver's seat was NOT all the way back. After checking out her safety seat in both third and second rows we decided that my granddaughter will be riding shoeless...

I am 5'8" and have kids about your granddaughter's age and they don't really come close to kicking my seat in my S. In your photos, it looks like your granddaughter has very little legroom. All anecdotal, but again, it seems like X has less space in second row than S. I hope to find out for myself soon!

When you are thinking about legroom toy can't just look at the distance between the seats, you also have to think of the high of the seat. In the Model S you seat very low wish make your leg leg nearly stretch out but in the Model X as I have understand it you seat higher which mean that you don't stretch them out as much and because if that you don't need so much distance between the seats.

When you are thinking about legroom toy can't just look at the distance between the seats, you also have to think of the high of the seat. In the Model S you seat very low wish make your leg leg nearly stretch out but in the Model X as I have understand it you seat higher which mean that you don't stretch them out as much and because if that you don't need so much distance between the seats.

Agreed. Also, you have a place to put your feet under the seats in front of you. There's more legroom in an X than in a coach airplane seat.

True, but I don't pay $140,000 for a seat on a plane...My main question/concern on the second row is does it have >= leg room as the S? I guess no one really knows because of exact seat positions and ability to change. It would appear from all of the photos we've seen that the X has less second row leg space than the S. But that's just from observing photos. People online seem divided.

True, but I don't pay $140,000 for a seat on a plane...My main question/concern on the second row is does it have >= leg room as the S? I guess no one really knows because of exact seat positions and ability to change. It would appear from all of the photos we've seen that the X has less second row leg space than the S. But that's just from observing photos. People online seem divided.

There are other things to keep in mind, "legroom" is such a vague phrase.

Are you speaking of foot room, as in, space on the floor/under the 1st row seats? Knee room, as in space between the 2nd row seat bottom cushion to the rear of the 1st row seat back? Hip room, space on the actual 2nd row seat bottom cushion allocated for each 2nd row passenger?

I find that the 2nd row in the X is much more comfortable than in the S. Easier ingress/egress, higher seating position, better bolstering. Overall, I feel that there's a general sense of roominess in the X second row than in the S second row.

There are other things to keep in mind, "legroom" is such a vague phrase.

Are you speaking of foot room, as in, space on the floor/under the 1st row seats? Knee room, as in space between the 2nd row seat bottom cushion to the rear of the 1st row seat back? Hip room, space on the actual 2nd row seat bottom cushion allocated for each 2nd row passenger?

I find that the 2nd row in the X is much more comfortable than in the S. Easier ingress/egress, higher seating position, better bolstering. Overall, I feel that there's a general sense of roominess in the X second row than in the S second row.

You raise a really good point on definitions and that's the issue here. I'd love to see the official specs and compare them to an S, but I know that's dreaming. Ultimately, it's different for everyone, so since I've got a VIN, I will just hope to test it in real life soon.

Glad ad to hear you feel it is more "roomy". Thanks for the input.

I guess my point was that my granddaughter has no choice; the safety seat doesn't allow her to bend her knees, so her feet touch the driver's seat back. Socks it is!

Asking for another set of eyes here...Most folks would go to Tesla, put their car seats in both the S and X, put our child in his car seat in both vehicles and measure /gauge the distance between the two in order to understand which has more legroom for both the driver and adult......Not that the world needs to know every detail but our 3yr old has challenges which makes this simple task...very complex and challenging....and likely not going to happen. So, asking for a new set of eyes /thoughts on this thread from the group....

If the driver position is in the same distance from the pedal in both X and S....do you think a 3yr old will have more leg /knee room in the S or X?
Any other thoughts here? I understand there are many intangibles w/respect to how tall he is, how the child seat is positioned, how far back the driver seat is, etc but just looking for new thoughts and if any parents visited both vehicles to decide what is a better fit for them....I might just have to go to the dealership.

Thanks all-