Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second row seat movement logic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if this is the behavior you're all having.

I move the second row seat forward a little in order to give some knee room to third row (it crushes the knees of most adults if I don't). However, when I move the seats all the way forward for ingress, the system returns the middle seat to the far back position, thus crushing the passenger's legs.

I wasn't aware the 2nd row seats were supposed to have logic. ;)

You can protect the 3rd row passenger's legs in 2 ways. 1) if the 3rd row passenger is heavy enough (I don't know the exact threshold but a small adult seems to be enough, but a child is not), or 2) if the 3rd row passenger buckles up. In either of these scenarios, the 2nd row should return to its previous position when reversing the easy access.

If your 3rd row adults are getting crushed, ask them to buckle up before reversing the 2nd row easy access.

• Funny
Reactions: RIZE and aesculus
As has been discussed in previous threads, if you hold the easy access button rather than just tap it once, you can release the button before the seat reaches the third row passenger. This functions the same using the on screen seat buttons.

I wasn't aware the 2nd row seats were supposed to have logic. ;)

You can protect the 3rd row passenger's legs in 2 ways. 1) if the 3rd row passenger is heavy enough (I don't know the exact threshold but a small adult seems to be enough, but a child is not), or 2) if the 3rd row passenger buckles up. In either of these scenarios, the 2nd row should return to its previous position when reversing the easy access.

If your 3rd row adults are getting crushed, ask them to buckle up before reversing the 2nd row easy access.

My service manager said the same thing, (he thought it required seat belt buckled). I just went out and tested. Neither my weight (210) nor the seat belt prevented knee crushing. The best technique appears to be holding the button, although even that doesn't work if it gets too far back, the seating continuing on after releasing. I'd say this needs a bit more work.

My service manager said the same thing, (he thought it required seat belt buckled). I just went out and tested. Neither my weight (210) nor the seat belt prevented knee crushing. The best technique appears to be holding the button, although even that doesn't work if it gets too far back, the seating continuing on after releasing. I'd say this needs a bit more work.

I think your 3rd row seat sensors might be disconnected from the car. On my X, weight or seat buckle both protect the knees. Time for a service appointment? They should really make 3rd row knee protection the default. If the 2nd row person needs more legroom he or she can manually adjust. I'd rather it be a person's decision rather than the car's. ;)

Just wanted to report that I had seven people in my Model X yesterday, and the second row seats STILL SUCK. Is it really so difficult for Tesla to allow me to put individual seats where I want them without moving other seats in conjunction with no warning? The person sitting in the middle seat was pissed because that circular control underneath has no logic about it, plus it only seems to control angle, not forward and back; the two people in my third row were pissed; and try explaining to your passengers in the outer second row seats why the bottom seat control switches don't work, but the upper ones behind them that they can't reach do!

Oh, and the ridicule I had to endure from my colleagues by having the center screen constantly tell me my seats were "unlatched" was not pleasant.

• Informative
Reactions: 1208
I had to spend some time to figure out the controls for these seats, once you get a grasp of how they operate, it gets better. Middle seat has full control btw, the circular button has top/bottom for tilt and left/right for forward and aft. Side seats once they have latched can be moved forward back and tilt with the side button to the extent that the latch remains engaged, once you use the shoulder side easy access buttons you will release the latch. It's a bit of a juggle but they do work.