Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second row space in 5 seat vs any other configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did a week long 7 seat model x rental for a family vacation where my parents came with us. I was dissappointed that the x middle seat did not have the latch system for a car seat.

My main question is, does the second row in a five seat configuration have more room to move back than the 7 seat configuration? While I drove the passengers in the back felt it was somewhat cramped, and my son who is 4 in a front facing car seat did not have much space for his legs.

We did not make much use of the two back seats at all.

I don't have kids but did you read the manual on it?

Look at 2nd and 3rd pictures below. Looks like you can put some variation of a child/kids seat in that middle row middle seat.

IqEhy4J.jpg

qYAxiMn.jpg

qYAxiMn.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
The second row only has the tether at the back in the middle row. There is no front anchors in the middle seat for any variation of model X.
You can still put a kids seat there but has to use seat belt to secure it.

As far as space, the five seat model doesn't move at all. On the seven seat model they move.

We have three kids all in car seat and we make it work when we need seven seats. Usually put two kids in third row. Kids don't need that much space. When they are in you can adjust middle row for room.

The third row is not that bad. Unless you are driving a huge full size SUV like a suburban or minivan there is never that much room. We looked at ford explorer Toyota, Mazda's etc etc..... Not much space either.

Reactions: Infoe
I just did a week long 7 seat model x rental for a family vacation where my parents came with us. I was dissappointed that the x middle seat did not have the latch system for a car seat.

My main question is, does the second row in a five seat configuration have more room to move back than the 7 seat configuration? While I drove the passengers in the back felt it was somewhat cramped, and my son who is 4 in a front facing car seat did not have much space for his legs.

We did not make much use of the two back seats at all.
I have seen the Model X with 5 seater from my friends.He really love the five seater for his daughter and enjoy with his wife together when they go out for camping.
X 5.jpg

I think the 5 seater is fixed and the 7 seater has a bit of wiggle room but there isn’t much additional space to be had at all.

I presume we're talking about the current "manual" sliding bench 7-seater rather than the older triple electric mono-post 7-seater. The 5 seat bench is fixed and the 7-seat bench does slide and has quite a large adjustment range too. What I don't know is what position the 5-seater bench is fixed relative to the 7-seat sliding range. What I do know is that the 7-seater has massive legroom with the bench slid right back (we have two forward facing child seats fitted and the kids still have loads of legroom) and not so much when slid fully forward to increase rear row legroom. I would have thought the 5-seater would be fixed to provide maximum second row legroom too, but I'm guessing that based on common sense. I'm pretty sure we demoed a 5-seater and I don't remember second row legroom being any issue with the child seats fitted.

The 6 seat configuration is the most comfortable for passengers I think. The back two passengers can stretch their legs into the space between the middle two. The middle two have an average amount of leg room, but, can move around a fair bit because of the space around them. Just my opinion.

The 6 seat configuration is the most comfortable for passengers I think. The back two passengers can stretch their legs into the space between the middle two. The middle two have an average amount of leg room, but, can move around a fair bit because of the space around them. Just my opinion.
Possibly for the 3rd row passengers. One advantage of the bench is that you can recline it. You can't recline the monopost seats.

Agree, like the 6 seater a lot overall but 1) have had a couple times where I can't carry something wide/long due to no folding, and 2) the seats are both rather thin as they just took out the middle seat it seems. "Wider" adults may have some issues in them at times finding the buckles, etc.