Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Service Appointment scheduled for charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a month ago, starting getting Charging Interrupted notification on the phone. Had the car in service for a few days and technician replaced the charge port latch actuator and declared the car fixed.
Due to the Coronavirus situation, I haven't driven much so hadn't charge since gotten the car back until last Friday. Poof, same problem, charging interrupted.

Normal charging - 14-50 Nema

Self diagnostic done - checked voltage from NEMA 14-50 outlet, reads 240V together, 120 and 120 individually. Switched out nema 14-50 charge head and used 120V slow charging plug, same error. This was done both a month ago and on Friday, want to make sure no other variables have changed.

A month ago when the issue first occurred, the charging would be on and off, so I'd receive bunch of notifications on charging started and charging interrupted. Last Friday, when the charging was interrupted, it stopped cold, charging wouldn't restart again.

Last Saturday, I tried to charge again with 14-50 NEMA, and no issues in 2 hours.

Note: I got the same error notification multiple times while the car was in service.

So, what do you guys think is the problem? My appointment is scheduled for next monday, I want to review as much potential causes as I can with the Service advisor, I don't want to have to bring the car to SC for a third time.

Thanks in advance.

I could be a loose ground wire on the AC to DC inverter, once it heats up, it fails... or it could be internal to the AC to DC inverter. Definitely Supercharge and see if the same error happens, if it doesn't, I will bet its an inverter issue....

• Informative
Reactions: hlin07
Ugh--got to be pedantic for a moment. The definition of an inverter is something that takes a DC input and creates the wave of an AC output. That's why they call those boxes you plug into the cigarette lighter to provide a 120V outlet an inverter. It is creating the waveform for an alternating current outlet.

The charging device inside the car is the opposite of that. It's taking the AC input from outside the car and converting it to DC to charge the battery. That is called a rectifier.

Ugh--got to be pedantic for a moment. The definition of an inverter is something that takes a DC input and creates the wave of an AC output. That's why they call those boxes you plug into the cigarette lighter to provide a 120V outlet an inverter. It is creating the waveform for an alternating current outlet.

The charging device inside the car is the opposite of that. It's taking the AC input from outside the car and converting it to DC to charge the battery. That is called a rectifier.
If the rectifier goes bad, would it cause the scenario described in my original post? I mean sometimes it charges again, but I have no idea when it'll be interrupted again.

Quick update, super charged the car yesterday from 60 miles to 192 miles, no issues. Also the previous charging at home using 14-50 nema was of no problem as well. Sorry for the late update but not really driving much now we're stuck at home.
I'm hoping that the issue was just a one time fluke after the initial service visit. I'll update again if any new issue appears.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver