TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Second set of tires on P85+

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Mayhemm, Oct 14, 2013.

Tags:
?

What will you do for your next set of P85+ tires?

1. I like the PS2's. I'll be getting them again.

54.5%
  2. I'll keep the PS2's in the rear, but try something else in front.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. All four tires will be different.

45.5%
  1. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

#1 Mayhemm, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    Everybody knows that the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires that are standard on a P85+ are not long-lasting tires (especially if you have alignment issues).

So, when the time comes to get a new set of rubber, what are people going with?

There aren't many choices for the P85+, especially in the rear. If you're going with a different tire, please say which and why you went with it.

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I would not run different tires front vs. rear. The front and rear ends will have different handling characteristics, braking characteristics, warm up at different rates, etc...

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

Agree--want all the same--or at least I do. PS2 are amazing, and will stick with them.

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I love michelin pilot super sports
    That's my tire of choice

5. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

Michelin pilot super sport is not available for P85+ rear sizing. I wouldn't mix and match different tires front and rear, might be dangerous.

6. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

#6 Mayhemm, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Only problem with that is Michelin does not sell PS2's for the P85+ in Canada (specifically, the 265/35R21 rears). Apparently it is a US-specific size. I've inquired as to why this is but have yet to receive a reply from Michelin.

UPDATE: Michelin now lists the 265/35R21 size for the PS2's on their Canadian website. I'd personally take credit for them adding it :wink: but it's more likely in response to Tesla using the tire as OEM equipment.

7. logan

logan Member

PS2s and Super Sports are similar enough that running them together does not pose a serious problem to a competent driver (lots of my friends have done with success). However, I would only mix the two when the Super Sports could be in the rear.