Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Tesla Considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two Tesla's are fine if your budget and also your circumstances where you live allow it. In our case, we own one Model 3 LR and one ICE vehicle. The reason our second car is an ICE vehicle is that there is a possibility that our power grid can be knocked off by mother nature from time to time and I like to have an alternative gas powered car in that case. Looks like our family will be in this mode for quite a while, i.e., one EV and one ICE vehicle.

If the Grid goes out, you probably charged your battery somewhat anyways whilst gas cars can’t pump gas because they need power for the pumps to work at the gas stations. You’re stuck with whatever gas you have. Point is, EV owners “refuel” more often than ICE owners (usually).

Reactions: DerbyCityY
If the Grid goes out, you probably charged your battery somewhat anyways whilst gas cars can’t pump gas because they need power for the pumps to work at the gas stations. You’re stuck with whatever gas you have. Point is, EV owners “refuel” more often than ICE owners (usually).
And it both cases you can drive to a location where the power is still on. ;)

Reactions: Not That M3
And it both cases you can drive to a location where the power is still on. ;)

Unless you don't have enough gas\battery. It is subjective and varies but I tend to lean that those on battery will have a higher range typically, whilst gas would depend on the day of the week. Of course, this depends on how much someone drives daily and "refuels." I don't know of many commuters who go to a gas station every day vs. an EV owner will probably charge more often.

Unless you don't have enough gas\battery. It is subjective and varies but I tend to lean that those on battery will have a higher range typically, whilst gas would depend on the day of the week. Of course, this depends on how much someone drives daily and "refuels." I don't know of many commuters who go to a gas station every day vs. an EV owner will probably charge more often.
Probably so as EV owners are often range paranoid. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Not That M3
I'd probably look for a single motor Ioniq5 or Ev6 if it were me. Something that has more cargo capacity and qualifies for full fed rebate.

Different situation in that we have two cars currently but one ICE, similarly though my wife and I would prefer to have each have an EV for day to day use. We've talked a lot about different vehicles as a second EV, everything from Leaf to Taycan.

I have a deposit on a Rivian so likely we'll stick with a Rivian and our Model 3 LR. Likely also keeping the ICE 10 year old 4Runner because it costs very little and there is still utility to having an ICE vehicle particularly for inclement weather and outdoor activities like mountain biking, skiing, hiking and camping.

We have a 2018 M3 and recently got a 2022 MY. We share one charger with out any significant issue. The cord is long enough to reach both cars even if they are parked front end in (as long as the one on the left isn't parked close to the garage).

I'd probably look for a single motor Ioniq5 or Ev6 if it were me. Something that has more cargo capacity and qualifies for full fed rebate.

Different situation in that we have two cars currently but one ICE, similarly though my wife and I would prefer to have each have an EV for day to day use. We've talked a lot about different vehicles as a second EV, everything from Leaf to Taycan.

I have a deposit on a Rivian so likely we'll stick with a Rivian and our Model 3 LR. Likely also keeping the ICE 10 year old 4Runner because it costs very little and there is still utility to having an ICE vehicle particularly for inclement weather and outdoor activities like mountain biking, skiing, hiking and camping.
First of all I believe the Toyota 4Runner is one of the best SUVs out there. Not known for good mileage, but one of the most capable. It will be a classic long before it stops working if you drive it part time.

I am curious, why the Rivian? You have nearly all the haul, tow and dirt truck you could want. Are you really going camping with the 4Runner and leaving the Rivian at home? What are your friends going to say, lol? It seems you could broaden your repertoire. You could enhance your garage with speed or sell the 4runner for more than it's currently worth and maybe get a Hummer EV. Just something to fill in your appetite?

Last edited:
First of all I believe the Toyota 4Runner is one of the best SUVs out there. Not known for good mileage, but one of the most capable. It will be a classic long before it stops working if you drive it part time.

I am curious, why the Rivian? You have nearly all the haul, tow and dirt truck you could want. It seems you could broaden your repertoire. You could enhance your garage with speed or sell the 4runner for more than it's currently worth and maybe get a Hummer EV. Just something to fill in your appetite?
Partly because it could allow us to potentially go fully EV and hence sell the 4Runner. Additionally the Rivian has some pretty amazing suspension and seems like it can fulfill about 90% of peoples need for a sports car, sure no track car but for hustling back roads it seems to be that good. Also with two kids and mountain biking as my primary hobby the Rivian suits those needs well.

Reasons to keep the 4runner too is that it's long ago paid for, only has 67k on it, is good for inclement weather use and the above reasons and finally would make an excellent first car for my 10 year old daughter in 6 years.

I think a Taycan Cross Turismo and existing Model 3 and 4Runner would be an excellent lineup of cars but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money even though it's very doable. Rivian at early pricing and fed and CO state rebate is an easier balance of money spent and performance and needs addressed for me.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
Partly because it could allow us to potentially go fully EV and hence sell the 4Runner. Additionally the Rivian has some pretty amazing suspension and seems like it can fulfill about 90% of peoples need for a sports car, sure no track car but for hustling back roads it seems to be that good. Also with two kids and mountain biking as my primary hobby the Rivian suits those needs well.

Reasons to keep the 4runner too is that it's long ago paid for, only has 67k on it, is good for inclement weather use and the above reasons and finally would make an excellent first car for my 10 year old daughter in 6 years.

I think a Taycan Cross Turismo and existing Model 3 and 4Runner would be an excellent lineup of cars but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money even though it's very doable. Rivian at early pricing and fed and CO state rebate is an easier balance of money spent and performance and needs addressed for me.
You are going to let the prize of your life drive a boy magnet? Got my daughter a 10 year old Subaru Forester. lol

• Funny
Reactions: HeatproofGenie
Girl magnet then for yours ;)

In all seriousness though, 6 years is a long time from now for that scenario and maybe in that time I won't even want her pumping gas and honestly I hope gas isn't so subsidized and it will make more sense for young drivers to have old Leafs or Kona EVs, etc

I photoshopped a mockup to see how much space there would be in the garage.

Two Cars In Garage.jpg

Easier with only one car, but I'll use the system I used when we had a truck (which was six inches narrower than an M3).

For two years we've had only one car (Tesla M3LR) for the two of us (wife and me, both retired). It's mostly fine, but there are a few times when we both want the car for something. Also, there could be some emergency for which it would be good to have a second car, but I will miss the extra garage space!

My plan is to buy a standard range without FSD for the limited local driving my wife will do. We'll have just one charger, but I'm sure we'll never need to charge them both overnight.

For those of you who have two, is there anything I should know?

We got a SRP and a LR...if we only had to have one I'd get the SRP. We only use within our state and fly everywhere else so as long as it gets us to the airport....