Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Tesla Considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For two years we've had only one car (Tesla M3LR) for the two of us (wife and me, both retired). It's mostly fine, but there are a few times when we both want the car for something. Also, there could be some emergency for which it would be good to have a second car, but I will miss the extra garage space!

My plan is to buy a standard range without FSD for the limited local driving my wife will do. We'll have just one charger, but I'm sure we'll never need to charge them both overnight.

For those of you who have two, is there anything I should know?

My wife and I both work from home and have only had one car (MYLR'20) for about a year and a half. I don't have two but will likely make my deposit for our second tonight, for the same reasons you mentioned because we just moved about 15 miles "into the country" and someone being stuck out here by themselves in an emergency would be unfortunate.

The one thing I've gleaned so far, don't expect special treatment for being a multi-product Tesla customer, regardless of how much money you've spent.

Apparently profiles can synchronize through the cloud now and you'll have the same settings in both cars. Yay.

If you don't need both cars sharing 8 hours over night I don't think there's much else to consider, but I'm also looking forward to responses from people who actually own two or more Tesla cars :D

Reactions: PianoAl
A new Tesla is a pretty expensive solution for an occasional use car. There are plenty of inexpensive ICE cars that you could get, but if you have your heart set on another Tesla why not get a used one?

Last edited:
We have 2 Teslas, and are both retired so we don’t drive a lot. We could probably get away with one but prefer to keep both. We haven’t had any problem sharing a single wall connector since we don’t have to charge that often.

Use the account that owns your current Tesla to buy the second one, and add your wife as an additional driver for her car (or both) so you don’t have to share an account.

A new Tesla is a pretty expensive solution for an occasional use car. There are plenty of inexpensive ICE cars that you could get ...
I'm totally done with ICE cars. 😀

I'd consider an Electrameccania Solo (less space in garage) if it weren't for safety issues.

solo-pch-min-e1578951245835.png

If it does not put a heavy financial burden on you, then I do not see any problem with it. However, I would not rule out looking at other brands that might offer a good package for the price.

To comment on the charging situation. We have 3 and we only have 1 charger. We never find ourselves needing to charge at the same time so it is not a problem.

Reactions: PianoAl
If it does not put a heavy financial burden on you, then I do not see any problem with it. However, I would not rule out looking at other brands that might offer a good package for the price.

To comment on the charging situation. We have 3 and we only have 1 charger. We never find ourselves needing to charge at the same time so it is not a problem.
I've experienced multiple vehicles (including EVs), don't under estimate the joy and satisfaction of commonality. I mentioned the carrying one key card only already. Obviously my phone is set up as key to both our cars and Tesla some time ago fixed the handling of multiple cars in one account. Now I just walk up to the car that we are using and it just unlocks for me. Once I'm inside the controls are all the same. Even though we have a 3 and Y I have to sometimes remind myself which car I'm. I keep driving glasses in both our cars. I try to make the settings match as much as I can (cloud profiles will be nice when they are available). I've had two different EVs at the same time but that wasn't as satisfying as the current situation.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
For two years we've had only one car (Tesla M3LR) for the two of us (wife and me, both retired). It's mostly fine, but there are a few times when we both want the car for something. Also, there could be some emergency for which it would be good to have a second car, but I will miss the extra garage space!

My plan is to buy a standard range without FSD for the limited local driving my wife will do. We'll have just one charger, but I'm sure we'll never need to charge them both overnight.

You didn’t ask my opinion since I don’t even own one…but here goes.

Our first Tesla should arrive this summer. We’re so enamored with Tesla and what we’ve read that we will probably trade in my wife’s ICE SUV IF we like the first TESLA. She is on the road constantly taking the kids back and forth and we’re tired of filling up three times a week.

So, if you can afford it I’d say go for it. Good luck!

You didn’t ask my opinion since I don’t even own one…but here goes.

Our first Tesla should arrive this summer. We’re so enamored with Tesla and what we’ve read that we will probably trade in my wife’s ICE SUV IF we like the first TESLA. She is on the road constantly taking the kids back and forth and we’re tired of filling up three times a week.

So, if you can afford it I’d say go for it. Good luck!

Three tanks of gas per week!?! If she's never doing more than about 200 miles in a day, and she can charge from home, the convenience of an EV will blow your mind.

Reactions: JetDriver05
We use our Model 3 for most local trips and the Model X for road trips, large loads, and when we have overlapping drives. We could easily get by with one charger, but it is nice to leave them both plugged in. The X would be fine with just a 120V for occasional top-ups since it isn't used regularly.

We could get by with one car if necessary, but I prefer two for convenience and backup. One accident or a long stay at the Service Center would be really inconvenient, and it's worth it to us to avoid those possibilities.

It is convenient having both cars plugged in since ours are parked outside. I've never figured out if the Teslas will cool and heat the batteries when parked and not plugged in, but with them connected I know they'll use whatever power they need for that without losing charge. I use a dual charger (Grizzl-E Duo) that can charge both from a single outlet.

As others have mentioned, only having one app, one key card, and one interface (except when one gets a software update a few days before the other) is good.

One other thing I learned... The service requests for each car in the app are separate, but (at least on prior versions of the app) when you get a notification about a new message from service, clicking it will take you to whichever car you had selected last. When you then click service, the ticket won't be there if that was the other car. That tripped me up one time as I thought they had closed my ticket.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer

Two Tesla's are fine if your budget and also your circumstances where you live allow it. In our case, we own one Model 3 LR and one ICE vehicle. The reason our second car is an ICE vehicle is that there is a possibility that our power grid can be knocked off by mother nature from time to time and I like to have an alternative gas powered car in that case. Looks like our family will be in this mode for quite a while, i.e., one EV and one ICE vehicle.

Reactions: mangrove79
If power goes, most gas stations can't pump gas either. Although some have backup generators. For that matter, some people have small gas generators or solar panel systems that can charge their EVs.

There are many considerations and it's hard to make a blanket statement about what's going to be available when.