Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second thoughts about MY. Should I get M3 instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my MY RWD and will come in Feb 2023.

I've read that model 3 performs better while cornering compared to model y. I've never driven a model 3 before but I think I did feel being pushed to a corner on model y when I was taking a turn. Can someone speak from experience about this?

Also the reason I chose Y is because of the higher seating and the boot space. Though the boot space on model y is technically too big for me. Another reason is the the second row seating on model 3 seemed uncomfortable. I've never sat on the back of a model y, but I think recently read that model y rear seats do not improve much in terms of having to sit with bent knees pointing up! Can anyone confirm out of experience?

In either cases I'll probably not go beyond the Standard Range version.

From my experience the knees of our 6ft++ ever growing teenager were much flatter in the Y than the 3.

A lot of your questions might be subjective as only you know what you like/dislike. I'd go for some more test drives in both and see what you think is better for your personal circumstances.

The rear seat of the MY is much more comfortable than the M3. Not only is the seat base higher, but the width of the back seat is wider. Three adults in the MY wouldn't complain on a long trip.

The MY is +20% more car for 80% of the handling / performance of the M3. I've had a week to live with both now, and as a daily for commuting and getting about I prefer the MY which does not feel slow (but is slower than my Unicorn). The MY is that comfortable that I haven't bothered with Easy Entry on it.
For a quick blast on my own or a fun drive, then M3 would be the obvious choice.

tenor.gif

I've read that model 3 performs better while cornering compared to model y. I've never driven a model 3 before but I think I did feel being pushed to a corner on model y when I was taking a turn. Can someone speak from experience about this?

Also the reason I chose Y is because of the higher seating and the boot space. Though the boot space on model y is technically too big for me. Another reason is the the second row seating on model 3 seemed uncomfortable. I've never sat on the back of a model y, but I think recently read that model y rear seats do not improve much in terms of having to sit with bent knees pointing up! Can anyone confirm out of experience?
It's pretty simple
Do you want a SUV or a Sedan?

They essentially the same car with a different body. The Model Y is roomier but boxier and heavier. The Model 3 is a bit quicker and lighter but more cramped and less flexible.

The best way to answer your questions would be to go to the dealer and sit in them.

The biggest argument for a 3 over a Y - imho - is the lack of a long range Y. That's what decided the choice for me. The SR Y has underwhelming performance compared to the SR 3 too, just btw, but we have never been able to compare the LR versions in the same way.
? Lack of a long range Y? I'm in the US in San Francisco and got a long rage Y (325 miles).

• Disagree
Reactions: Loxmyf
Tesla have chosen not to offer the Long Range Model Y in Australia, only RWD or Performance, nothing in between so far.
Which is why I have not bought another Tesla. I have a model 3 SR, and I wish I had bought a LR. The model Y RWD has even less range than the equivalent model 3, and I don’t see the point of spending more to get a family car that goes from 0-100 in 4s.

I ordered my MY RWD and will come in Feb 2023.

In either cases I'll probably not go beyond the Standard Range version.
I've driven both and you've hit the nail on the head.
IMO, it's better to have the boot space and not use it than not having it and needing it in the future.
Went from a sedan to SUV and can't go back now. #oldage

I'm waiting for a Model Y LR (AWD dual motor) model myself (been waiting a while), for some more performance than a MY RWD Single Motor. I might end up getting a M3 LR AWD Dual motor instead, Note: their is stock of the Model Y LR AWD RHD sitting in UK (50) and now Hongkong (8), and Tesla have already got approval for a MY LR in Australia over a year ago, so I'm actually really confused why they don't offer it in Australia, like many other markets. Like my post if you are in the same position (waiting for a Model Y LR AWD RHD 'under the LCT limit for obvious reasons, novated lease massive savings too'). thanks

The problem with that thinking is the Performance is well above the LCT threshold for FBT exemption under a novated lease, if a Model Y LR AWD comes in under approx $84,500 then I can save about $25000 on it over 3 years, that is a massive saving, and the price gap between a MY LR AWD, and a MY AWD Performance is huge ! Thus the M3 LR AWD just under and big savings.

Reactions: Oct22