Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second thoughts about MY. Should I get M3 instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if a Model Y LR AWD comes in under approx $84,500
It will just scrape in under the limit.

With Model 3, the LR is $13,000 more than the RWD and the P is $13,000 more than the LR ($26,000 more than the RWD)

With Model Y the Performance is also $26,000 more than the Model 3.

Model Y RWD is $68,900 plus $1,400 delivery fee plus $400 order fee or $70,700 retail price before on-roads (which the LCT is based on)
So it stands to reason the Model Y LR will be $81,900 plus delivery fee and order fee, or $83,700 (plus on-roads)

I'm considering selling my Unicorn and just sticking to the MY as it's my preferred drive almost always.
It will just scrape in under the limit.

With Model 3, the LR is $13,000 more than the RWD and the P is $13,000 more than the LR ($26,000 more than the RWD)

With Model Y the Performance is also $26,000 more than the Model 3.

Model Y RWD is $68,900 plus $1,400 delivery fee plus $400 order fee or $70,700 retail price before on-roads (which the LCT is based on)
So it stands to reason the Model Y LR will be $81,900 plus delivery fee and order fee, or $83,700 (plus on-roads)
Stands to reason? Tesla have no “reason” on the pricing of the Y in Australia. Musk goes on about “sustainable energy being led by electric vehicles”. All well and good. Then, for the Australian market, prices the base Y at $700 higher than the qualification point for WA Govt EV rebates. I know they’re selling hand over fist, but they would sell so many more imo at $700 less. Therefore, aiding Musk’s self sustaining energy dream. But it “stands to reason”, the price point is just out of reach!

Reactions: Stuart2023
I've read that model 3 performs better while cornering compared to model y.
You mean scratching your right rear rim when turning right?

Objectively the two cars are very similar. The Y is just a tad longer and wider, hardly any considerable difference.

Both cars have the (subjective) problem that, because of the long wheel base (distance between front and rear axles), you have to take turns wider. To be precise, this means that, before you turn right, you should steer away from the right curb to get some distance between your rear right wheel and the curb before you actually turn.

If you cannot do that, for example, because there is oncoming traffic in a narrow street, you have to go straight into the crossroads instead of turning early, then turn only when your rear wheel is passing the corner. In narrow streets you may have to wait until there is no traffic on either side of the street you want to turn into. That's the standard procedure for all Teslas.

But don't worry too much. Every Tesla driver scratches a rim sooner or later. There's even an advantage to scratched rims—they are not usually stolen. 🙂

Hope I haven't misunderstood your question.

I had a test drive in an Y a couple of days ago. I could definitely feel the extra weight and height of the Y over my 3. The 3 is unsurprisingly more agile, and quicker. The Y still drives fine though, although I am disappointed with the ride, and the suspension thumps over bumps, much like my 3. Despite the negatives, I will probably still bite the bullet and get an SR Y.

I meant the handling. Like turning a corner at speed is better handled by 3 than Y. Like chances of vehicle losing balance.
Ah, I didn't understand that you were talking about car racing.

Of course the Model 3 can drive around a curve a bit faster than a Model Y. That's pretty obvious. But now we are talking about speeds that do not occur in normal driving and that are often illegal.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sir Surfalot