Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second thoughts on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst waiting for my call to say that my M3LR has arrived and ready to be collected, I am having second thoughts of whether I should have the FSD at £4900. It can do
  • Lane change - useful if there are less BMW/Audi drivers on the motorways
  • Navigate on Autopilot - does it work properly in the UK with so many roundabouts
  • Self parking - cant see myself using after showing off a few times.
  • Advance summon - most likely to use as it would be nice for the car to drive out of the garage or from the sainsbury carpark to pick me up.
  • Robo taxi - yeah.....
But is it worth £4900?
But if I cancel FSD (can i?) will I be push back to 2020 delivery.

Going through similar process. We hope to have car for a long time so within reason, not too bothered how long it will take to delivery on the promises.

But, a recent post made me question how much effort Tesla would go to to meet Euro/UK regulations. Only have to see the info on 2019.16 to see current half baked answer to some of the restrictions. I’ve not been following AP in-depth for long enough to judge whether things will improve. A recent review of e-tron just shows how much more polish some other manufacturers have got to their AP like features. But I guess fart mode gets more media coverage than a smooth speed limit aware drive through UK country roads. But I digress.

I’ve asked the OP’s question a couple of times to various people at various stages of order process.

Basically FSD is a software option so has no effect on physical car so should not change what car you get. But there will be some cutoff when you can no longer change spec, which has been anything from a few days before you take delivery to about 2 weeks ago. Not sure where I am in the queue, and on one hand I’m told Tesla reps do not know where I am in queue but are specific enough to tell me 2 weeks ago. I think I’m more inclined to think a minor FSD tweak up until final invoice generation is possible, without changing queue position.

I got SR+ with no FSD and had a call 2 weeks ago to expect a late July delivery (if you can believe that), no date mind.

So I don't think you need to worry about 2020.

IMO it's not worth £5k in it's current form in UK other than bragging rights.

You can always buy it later when it can FSD from A to B in UK ... Optimistically that's 2 years away. Pessimistically 5+, which is new car territory.

Lane change is really not that useful, the most useful function which is adaptive cruse control is already included with the car.

If config change is not available for you I'd wait till you get a delivery date and then ask them if it's possible to turn it off and get a refund without affecting delivery date. If not you have a choice to keep it and get delivery or modify it and push it back.

I think they would deliver the same car with no FSD without issues.

Basically FSD is a software option so has no effect on physical car so should not change what car you get. But there will be some cutoff when you can no longer change spec, which has been anything from a few days before you take delivery to about 2 weeks ago.

Here's a TOP TIP!

navigate to https ://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RNXXXXXXXXXXX where RNxxxxxxx is your RN number and if your config is not locked down yet it will allow you to change it.

I would not advise using this to actually change anything (god only knows what it will do to your order) but it was a way our friends over the pond used to check if their spec was locked down yet and delivery imminent.

(Edited as the forum kept mangling the url. Just copy it and remove the space after 'https' )

• Helpful
Reactions: Yev000
Here's a TOP TIP!

navigate to https ://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RNXXXXXXXXXXX where RNxxxxxxx is your RN number and if your config is not locked down yet it will allow you to change it.
Or phone/email them if you can no longer edit. I’ve not been able to edit for ages, even via this method, but have had these conversations about changing FSD and keeping same spec of car within last few weeks. I still had option to remove tow hitch but keep LR/AWD long after I lost online edit and no affect on position, so I was told.

Auto lane change is crucial for changing lanes without disabling Autosteer. Kind of the same advantage TACC has over regular cruise control. TACC automatically slows down so you're not having to cancel/resume cruise control all the time. Autosteer without auto lane change would be somewhat of a chore. Of course if your roads are too crowded for auto lane change, or you never use Autosteer, then no auto lane change would not be such a problem.

Beyond that, I agree that you're buying future interesting stuff. Not worth it for a short lease, not worth it if you don't care about it. We purchased our 3 with EAP only, since it was our city driving car. We added FSD (all future features for us) when it went on sale for $2k, just in case HW3 helped EAP a little and would be updated longer and FSD actually became useful.

Reactions: ediflyer and PrGrPa
Adding fsd for $2k is a bargain compared to £4900 or £5800 now.

It was $2k if you had already ordered EAP which I think was $5k at time of order.

The FSD 'sale' event was good though, I didn't pay for any form of AP on our car, and Tesla did want £10,800 for FSD activation post delivery, but for the sale they dropped it to '£4900', so basically same price as EAP, which I happily paid for :).

I was in the same scenario as the original op and was worried if I took off the fsd then my order would be pushed back. I spoke to a number of sales guys over the last few weeks and they all said they’d remove it and that it wouldn’t affect me queue place.

However right up to when I got a delivery date they hadn’t removed it. They literally removed it about four days ago, I picked up the car today. So I don’t think it affects your queue position as it is just software.

Congrates on picking the car up yesterday. I guess you are still on cloud nine and not have any regrets on going non FSD. Did you go for the performance lite upgrade?
Thanks Tess,
Yeah it's been a pretty crazy weekend. Spent most of it just driving people around. I have my Son this weekend so he's been loving every minute of it. Keeps wanting me to go fast which of course I have to refrain from doing 99 percent of the time to stay safe. Honestly the acceleration is mental. It's weird because the initial kick isn't too bad, it's when it gets over 20mph that your actual brain starts to feel a bit funny.

I went for the full performance. I'd heard that the 20 inch wheels aren't great for road noise and comfort but I've found them to be fine. There is road noise but no more than on any of my other cars.

And no, no regrets yet... although haven't done my usual motorway driving so maybe I will then. When I ordered originally I thought it was only FSD that had the adaptive cruise control. After I found out that came as standard I started to have doubts on if I'd actually need FSD. Personally I would cancel it for now and wait another two years and see where they're at. I really don't think you'll be knocked down the waiting list.

I think this photo sums up what others think of the car.

Attachments

• Model3.jpg
    Model3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
I was having my doubts in the other direction and wondering if I should add FSD while it's still only £5800. I did a bit of 'source' snooping and found mention of £7000 post delivery. Although I realise Tesla's pricing strategy is erratic at best.

I must admit to a mild case of FOMO when I was ordering regarding FSD. The idea of missing out almost made me buy it "just in case" but really I have no real need for it at this time and it brought my estimated HP price down to within my budget. If PCP had been available then I might have got it but I'm too impatient to wait and see if PCP ever arrives.