Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second track day in the books - Bondurant Main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finished my second track day (night) yesterday, ran with NASA in the DE3 group at the Bondurant Main track. We ran 3 sessions in stead of the usual 4 because it was a night sessions, started at about 6:30pm and ran til midnight.

Last time out on stock tires and brakes I corded 2 of the PS4S tires and toasted the stock brake pads. I went out this time armed with RB rotors and XT910 pads, as well as 265/40-18 Hankook Ventus RS-4 tires. The tires held up great, and the brakes did really well too. The pedal did get a little soft on the 3rd session and I got the "brakes hot" warning on the screen which I found interesting since I did not see that warning my first time around when I cooked the stock pads. I haven't dug in yet to see if I glazed the XT910 pads or maybe boiled the fluid. Last time out I was using Castrol SRF, this time I have Motul 600 in there.

I had a couple people asking questions the car throughout the night, which was kinda fun. One other guy has a P3D and has run it before, but didn't bring it last night due to the same problems with brakes and tires after the first session.

Sessions 1 and 2 were a bit shorter than 20 minutes and used about 30% charge each. The last session we were down a few cars so I got open track a few times, and it ran longer, so I used almost 45%. It was still a chore to charge the car between sessions, but a little less stressful since it used less battery the first 2 sessions than I was expecting. I also bought a Gen I UMC for this time, so I'm getting 40amps instead of 32, so that helped a bit too. This time out I was trying to be first to grid each session. This meant that I needed to unplug and grid up early. I think I'll change my strategy for next time and try to be last to grid, then I can take it easy on the first lap or two until someone comes up behind me. This would have netted me almost an extra hour charging last night, which would have been an extra 10-12%.

I did notice the acceleration starting to get soft once I dropped below 30% SOC. It wasn't terrible, but it was noticeable. I was still able to keep up and pass. I ended the last session with 19% charge left. IIRC from last time out, getting below 10-15% is where it really fell on it's face and I started to get passed quite a bit.

Anyway, all in all it was a fun night. I took 3 videos with a cheap GoPro knockoff, looks like 2 of the 3 are corrupt. I'm working on uploading the one good video, will post when it's done. Also trying to repair the other 2, although I'm doubtful that will work. Will dig into the brakes in a bit here to see what the pads look like too.

Here's the configuration we ran. I went on 3 offroading adventures last night, once at the 1 and twice at the 2 :oops:

bondo.jpg

Very cool! Looking forward to the videos. Too bad they didn't class EVs for 2019, the only competition class you could run is TTU. But it sounds like they may allow EVs next year. The Model 3 P would likely class TT2 or TT3. How were your times?

Very cool! Looking forward to the videos. Too bad they didn't class EVs for 2019, the only competition class you could run is TTU. But it sounds like they may allow EVs next year. The Model 3 P would likely class TT2 or TT3. How were your times?

I don't know much about TT yet, but I'll read up on it. Seems like the field is smaller, which might be nice.

I didn't have a transponder so no official times, but from watching the session 2 video and timing the laps with my phone it looks like I'm averaging around 1:00-1:01. I think I had a 0:58 lap in there too. For comparison, the NASA AZ Director has a supercharged Honda that rips and I timed one of his laps at 0:54. No idea where that stands among his best laps, it was just a random one that I saw and decided to time.

I'm hoping I can recover the session 3 video, that's the one where I felt like I finally made some progress figuring out good lines through some of the corners I had been struggling with. Watching the session 2 video above, I was pretty inconsistent through some of them.

Nice driving, a 58 second run would certainly be competitive. Full results are available here: Index of /NASA_Arizona_Region/Saturday - Provisional Results
Thanks! And thanks for the link, didn't realize results were up already. Definitely going to look into TT.

Here's passenger side tires and brakes. Pads look good, so I'm going to assume that I boiled the fluid a bit. Will run Castrol SRF again next time.

Tires, front is on the right, rear on the left. I ran them at 40-41 hot, didn't quite get into the arrows.

IMG_20190825_102212.jpg

IMG_20190825_102236.jpg

Pads...outer on the bottom
IMG_20190825_103906.jpg

IMG_20190825_103313.jpg

IMG_20190825_103323.jpg

Yes, hopefully they will let EVs run in proper classes next year instead of lumping us in with the unlimited class like they did this year.

Also, I wouldn't assume you boiled fluid, or even got your brakes over-heated. I think that warning comes up based on the software assuming you have factory equipment rather than any actual monitoring of temps.

Thanks for the excellent reporting. Lots of information to digest and reference from your experience. :) It is interesting to see the black EDP coating on the friction surface your RB rotors are pretty much intact with use of XT910 pads. It just to show braking is adhesion+friction black magic.

Reactions: destructure00
Living in the Phoenix area and tracking a car is a great situation to be in. You live close to so many fun, short tracks (AMP, Bondurant, WHP main, east and west) plus within a few hours of two longer tracks with multiple configurations (Chuckwalla and INDE). NASA AZ has a great group of people running it and participating at their events.

Thanks for the excellent reporting. Lots of information to digest and reference from your experience. :) It is interesting to see the black EDP coating on the friction surface your RB rotors are pretty much intact with use of XT910 pads. It just to show braking is adhesion+friction black magic.

The black coating is gone on the rotor surfaces, might just be the way the light is or is not reflecting. I still have some cross-hatching on the rears, it's pretty well worn through on the fronts already though.

Reactions: beastmode13
Living in the Phoenix area and tracking a car is a great situation to be in. You live close to so many fun, short tracks (AMP, Bondurant, WHP main, east and west) plus within a few hours of two longer tracks with multiple configurations (Chuckwalla and INDE). NASA AZ has a great group of people running it and participating at their events.

I've done all of the local tracks now except WHP Main. Really hoping I can make Chuckwalla work this next spring, seems like the AZ group always goes around February/March. Not sure what the charging situation is like there, but there's definitely no supercharging anywhere close so I'd be relying on 14-50. Probably just have to accept that I'd only be able to run 3 of the 4 sessions. Anyway, the AZ group seems like a great group for sure. I don't know many of them well but starting to get to know them.

On another note, since I'm still waiting for my quicktime repair program to decide if it can fix the corrupt files, I split off my best lap from the long session 2 video above. This is the one that I think was about 58 seconds.

Fun video. I live 10 minutes from Bondurant and attended their training twice. I ran SCCA formula cars and had a lot of fun doing it.

I was watching your hands in the video trying to determine if the car was understeering. I couldn't tell. In some of the faster sweepers it looked neutral. How about body lean unloading the inside tires?

It would be great to hear how the car handled from the racer perspective.

Thanks and great to see this post!

There was slight understeer in a couple of the sweepers when I was on the throttle and weight came off the front. Otherwise it was pretty neutral. I was trying to get it to rotate around the first big sweeper, toed the line between under and oversteer a bit. Still gotta learn a lot about the limits of the car. There is a fair amout of body lean, but I didn't notice the inside tires unloading.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
most likely your rear fluid boiled. Just do a quick bleed and it will fix the soft pedal. Also removing the heat shield will help.

I have 3 bottles of Castrol SRF on order, will do another full flush once they get here. Hopefully that will fix it, thanks for the info. Been playing brake fluid musical chairs lately, there's a small possibility that there's some residual standard DOT4 in there. 3 liters oughta get rid of it. I started with SRF, then rebled with standard DOT4 after my first track day, then flushed with Motul before Saturday.

I'll go ahead and cut the rear heat shields as well. Ran without fronts this time, but the rears are not slotted so I couldn't get them over the hubs. Will create my own slots I think :)

I have 3 bottles of Castrol SRF on order, will do another full flush once they get here. Hopefully that will fix it, thanks for the info. Been playing brake fluid musical chairs lately, there's a small possibility that there's some residual standard DOT4 in there. 3 liters oughta get rid of it. I started with SRF, then rebled with standard DOT4 after my first track day, then flushed with Motul before Saturday.

I'll go ahead and cut the rear heat shields as well. Ran without fronts this time, but the rears are not slotted so I couldn't get them over the hubs. Will create my own slots I think :)

No need to cut, just take off the rotor and there are 3 bolts to remove the heatshield. It's a 5 min job.