Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Secondary Charge cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row for my (hopefully soon) new MS.

I have my electrician coming next week to wire up my 220v 40amp outlets (one in the garage and one outside so that the car can be on the driveway or in the garage and be charged easily).

I was thinking of picking up a second charging cord, is it possible? (I don't need the high-powered wall thing, just the regular cord.
Thanks!

Or build your own, but honestly it will cost almost as much and be limited to 30A, unless you spend at least $700-800, and build your own "HPWC" (I did, but I am electrically and mechanically adept), see the OpenEVSE link on my signature.
$650 for a 40A EVSE is actually very reasonable, when you look at what's available commercially.

$650 for a cable?

It's hardly just a "cable", go click on the OpenEVSE link in my signature and take a look at some of the OpenEVSE builds. To start with, the J-1772 cable assembly (or the Tesla connector) runs about $150, add to that the pilot signal, GFCI safety circuitry, packaging, cost of the copper wiring, and U.L. Listing requirements, $650 is CHEAP. Also on consider the volume, these are not made in the millions (yet), when that happens mass manufacturing will eventually lower the pricing.