Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Secondary daily driver EV suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to buy our second EV, we have X 100D for commutes, road trips etc, but need second car for daily driving (home-work-errands-home, maybe 30-40 miles round trip sometimes) budget is $20k used or new, needs to seat at least 2 adults and 1-2 toddler car seats

So far I found
eGolf (90 mile range, typical Golf so good daily driver)
500e (a bit small, 80 mile range, but looks cool)
Leaf (especially Plus version with nearly 200 mile range)
RAV4 (such a unique Toyota with Model S internals, but 80 mile range) and few other small EVs with 100 mile range. Any other suggestions? I know Model 3s are becoming mid $20k EVs, so I do want Model 3 just not with 200k miles on it lol Any suggestions?

We charge at home, never use public chargers.
I also had an idea just buying ICE, Lexus LS460 is kind of a dream car :) But I prefer EVs

Last edited:
Don;t buy those older generation EV with very low range.
Depending of your parking situation, any car takes a lot of space.
Better get an EV that you will not have to worry about and can use
when you don't need to have extra passengers even on weekend.

I have a neighbour who has a Leaf as extra car, he keept it always plugged,
and I never saw driving it because its range constraint make it not very practical.
A secondary car that you plan to use for small errands needs to be very practical
to use, and in particular to charge once a week, and not to have to manoeuver
to have it next to a plug and constantly have to check if you forget to charge it.

At least get somethink like a Bolt, which has good range
but slow charging speed. But some had problem with the battery...
So far, a used Model 3 would certainly the best choice.
Most people change their car aroung 50 or 60k miles, 200k miles is very rare.
I have a new one for the past four years and never had anything to work on.
I even still have the original 12V battery,

If you really consider a Lexus LS460, a Toyota Camry is almost the same car and would make you save a lot.

Last edited:
30-40 miles round trip sometimes
This eliminates most PHEVs other than the Volt and Clarity.
500e (a bit small, 80 mile range, but looks cool)
Definitely a cool Euro-Retro-Chic machine but check with your local Fiat dealer service department to get a read on their interest in repairing it. Some dealers love them and will bend over backward to keep these running, others want nothing to do with them.
Leaf (especially Plus version with nearly 200 mile range)
I'll say that our 2011 Leaf, while only good for 30 - 40 miles on a charge, was the most low-hassle car we've owned. Its still being used by my nephew who's in high school and doing great for him.
RAV4 (such a unique Toyota with Model S internals, but 80 mile range) and few other small EVs with 100 mile range
This could be hard to get serviced. Great car but aborted by Toyota so buyer beware.

The e-golf is probably ok, as are the suggestions from the forum.

Best of luck!

I loved my Leaf for around-town driving - good ride, comfortable, good efficiency. When my commute changed and I got a cottage, I had to step up to increased range, but if those things hadn't happened, I'd still be driving my 2020 Leaf. Cost and value, I think it's still a good deal for that type of use, though the M3 will give you more resale value.

Reactions: oldsport
I loved my Leaf for around-town driving - good ride, comfortable, good efficiency. When my commute changed and I got a cottage, I had to step up to increased range, but if those things hadn't happened, I'd still be driving my 2020 Leaf. Cost and value, I think it's still a good deal for that type of use, though the M3 will give you more resale value.

However, it might depends what the OP's NorCal climate is like and whether the Leaf would be garaged in a cooler location.
There are definitely some cheap Nissan Leafs around that should have the required range. That middle period of 2016-2017 would have the 30kWh Nissan Leafs and Edmunds lists them from $10k.
If you look 2018 or later that's Gen 2 40kWh and the market knows they're more valuable, with pricing jumping to $17k+.

However, it might depends what the OP's NorCal climate is like and whether the Leaf would be garaged in a cooler location.
There are definitely some cheap Nissan Leafs around that should have the required range. That middle period of 2016-2017 would have the 30kWh Nissan Leafs and Edmunds lists them from $10k.
If you look 2018 or later that's Gen 2 40kWh and the market knows they're more valuable, with pricing jumping to $17k+.
CLimate here is never too cold, probably around 30F (-1C) but recently very hot. Above 120F (49C) last year stayed for weeks. No garage as garage is for better toys :)
Car will be parked outside, charged outside and driven a lot to save mileage on other cars.