TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"secret" 1 year warranty

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Jun 12, 2019.

1. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

So my buddy and I both have Model S 2017. Lately when we need any services done for the car, Tesla has been telling us "we can't fix this under warranty because it expires under the 1 year warranty." This covers anything squeaky, yellow border on screens, etc.

So that means you will have to pay out of pocket. Have people been getting this? I think this is total BS because where does it say in the contract that we have this BS warranty.

• Informative x 1
  2. appleguru

appleguru Member

Yeah, that's not real...

• Like x 4
  3. dethman

dethman Member

Tesla BS to try to save money saying they won't fix rattles and squeaks after 1 year because they are hemorrhaging cash.

Trying to screw the buyer and not taking responsibility for their sh*tty car building.

• Like x 5
  4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Yep, you’d think after 7 years they would finally learn to build a rattle free car.
    My 2015 Model s has so many rattles and squeaks it feels like it’s going to fall apart soon

• Like x 1
  5. BPeter

BPeter Member

New ones are no better for squeaks. My Sep 2018 S has this incredibly annoying creaking/ticking coming from the headliner/mirror area. Can't figure out what it is, the service center tried and failed to fix it and then a ranger tried too. Neither knew exactly what was causing it and just put a bunch of foam above the headliner. The ranger's attempt seemed to work for two weeks then the creaking came back.

6. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

That doesn’t seem right. What exactly did you try to get fixed? Did they try to say it is regular wear and tear and not defective?

7. DCEV

DCEV Member

No such thing. The bumper to bumper warranty is 4 years and it is expected to cover rattles and squeaks during that time just like any new Toyota, Honda, Audi, or Mercedes.

• Like x 2
  8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Yep. My local sc apologetically told me corporate told them not to work on any squeak or rattle issues if the car was a year old or more.

9. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

2013 S and I have zero rattles or squeaks. Previous owner was pretty meticulous and had Tesla take care of any and all issues.

• Like x 1
  10. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

I had the same creaking/squeaks and finally discovered it’s the sunroof rubber surround rubbing on the glass as the car flexes. Easy fix is to use Gummi Pflege to “moisturize” the surround. Works for me (I re-apply every so often).

• Helpful x 2
  11. Exiom

Exiom Member

I have had this... and it ended up being my pano roof being locked down too tight after I complained about a water leak...
    and then after I complained about squeaks... I got the leak back but worse than before since my entire front of the headliner was soaked...

At this point in time my car is actually back in the service center for 4 days now... and probably getting the squeak back...

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. whitex

whitex Active Member

#12 whitex, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    To love your Tesla is to learn to love it's rattles, squeaks, road noise, etc. There is only so much the SC can do, and it usually will only hold for so long. So, I've decided a while back to either try to fix it myself with some adhesive rubber, foam or glue, or learn to live with it. It's not horrible, but the hands-free on my 2015 is so noisy when driving (ok when stopped) I've resorted to using wired headphones with noise cancellation to avoid annoying people on the other end of the call. I'm not letting Tesla off the hook on the yellow screen though (not my 2015, it's on my wife's 2018). Already gave Elon a pass on enough stuff over the years.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I agree and I did learn to not love it but live with it. It was a compromise I was and still am willing to make

14. KerryOH

KerryOH Member

Sounds like Dean Wormer's Double Secret Probation

• Funny x 1
  15. StarLog

StarLog Supporting Member

2013 S and I have zero rattles or squeaks. Previous owner was a Tesla team member.

• Helpful x 1
  16. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Supporting Member

I had a rattle/squeak that developed in the same area on my 17 MS100D. Took it in and they first tried to blame it on my aftermarket dash cam wires in that area. I told them I pulled the wires out and it didn’t change. They took another look and added some dampening foam completely fixing the issue. My car has been rattle free since.

So I guess my point is trying being a little more insistent as they tend to have a resolution flow chart that starts with “can we blame the issue on the customer” as the first line. Glad they ended up fixing it (which only took 30 min).

17. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

That may be the case, but we all signed a contract which states the warranty coverage. Whether they like it or not if the warranty is supposed to cover it they must abide by it, it's up to you if you want to go the legal route.

18. BPeter

BPeter Member

Interesting, I'll try looking at this tonight.

I have the pano roof too. I really wanted the one that opened but if it really is causing all the squeaking I guess maybe that is why they dropped the pano roof option. Interesting that the roof would make a sound from the front that seems like it's coming from the mirror.

Seems like many things can be causing a sound in this same area. Three people with this same issue and three different causes.

I'll try more to investigate and to get Tesla to fix it. It's honestly really hurting my enjoyment of the car, I love it except this one little creaking noise. Every time I drive I get a little annoyed by it.

19. FoxSTL2HOU

FoxSTL2HOU Member

Had a loaner vehicle earlier this week that was 3200 VINs "newer" than the car in for service, 92xxx vs 89xxx. As far as I could tell, the only difference between the loaner model and my vehicle was lack of cold weather and inclusion of rear facing seats for the loaner (both had pano roof, neither had air suspension). The stiffness and groaning/rattling of the loaner was amazing vs. the relative quietness of my car (I can hear my license plate frame rattle because it only has the two bolts instead of all four), certainly not something I would have expected for vehicles that were only months apart. FWIW, the loaner had 20k fewer miles, so if anything I would have expected mine to be worse for the wear.

20. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Yeah. They actually fixed my issue which was really not a rattle but a suspension problem. I did mention a small rattle in the back and this is when I got the feedback. I decided I was probably better suited to deal with it so I let it pass.