Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Secret Sauce" power upgrade coming - beyond Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it

Attachments

• Adam Schmidt.jpg
    Adam Schmidt.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Adam Scnidt #2.jpg
    Adam Scnidt #2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 170
1). Who knows where the next h/w current limit in the system is beyond the 1500A fuse (cabling I suspect). If there are no close limits, why did they not implement a fuse with even higher capability with ludicrous.

Two possible reasons:
A) A current of 1500 A (at a voltage of 400V) is brutal, so the current inconel fuse may have been the best Tesla could do at that time, and now they may have gotten better.

B) Regradless of that, making more, incremental upgrades has a potential for more sales.

PS. I prefer to see a question mark ('?') after a question. Keyboards still have them.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Just thought it odd that his Ideal Range is 294 and he is below the battery's nearly Full point.
also, My 85kW battery's Ideal is only 277.
Maybe hinting at the notion that this isn't a 85kW??

maybe he did a battery swap and this is what a P100D is capable of?

i.e. - the "special sauce" is the new 100 pack. and he did not get a corresponding emblem on the back because it's still under wraps? that would explain both the performance increase and the crazy range he's showing...

because if he's at 294 ideal at 90%, then his 100% would be about 325mi. has ANY 85 owner showed an ideal range of 325? because if not, if not even close, then I think we may have solved this puzzle...

This thread makes me wish I had sprung for the P85D instead of my 85D last year. Gah.
85D is still plenty quick. Quicker to 60 than most of the Detroit V8 muscle. But if you want more, Tesla would be happy to sell you a new car and take a trade in on your old. Plenty of folks would love to see your old 85D be added to the CPO inventory. :-D

• Helpful
I dug through the owner's (Adam Schmidt) old tweets, and there's one from April 1st where he claims his 0-60mph is 2.4 seconds which is a number we've never seen before. From the video, he's clearly a Model S expert (Ludicrous Upgrade for P85D, knows the Ludicrous Mode easter egg, knows how to do Launch Control) so it's unlikely to be a typo or fib. Maybe he's a Tesla insider or beta firmware tester? Adam Schmidt on Twitter

Isn't that possibly it right there? The date of the tweet? This is all one big April Fool's joke?

Edit: Somehow thought I was at the end of the thread when I posted. I now realize this point had been made before I made it.

Last edited:
85D is still plenty quick. Quicker to 60 than most of the Detroit V8 muscle. But if you want more, Tesla would be happy to sell you a new car and take a trade in on your old. Plenty of folks would love to see your old 85D be added to the CPO inventory. :-D

Yep.

However I've seen at least 2 or 3 posts like his now since this subject has been discussed.

But if he traded in an 85D on a new P90D with Ludicrous, he's going to take a bath.

And for those thinking of perhaps trading a culture that 85D in on a CPO P85D, the problem there is that the upgrade to Ludicrous supposedly only applies to the owners of P85Ds ordered or bought prior to 7/17/2015.

Again if memory serves me, someone in here inquired about having Ludicrous added to their CPO, or it may have been non CPO but pre owned, P85D and was turned down.

That makes sense too.

People would simply buy used P85Ds and add Ludicrous to them and be done with it.

Why allow someone to go out and buy a used P85D and add Ludicrous to it, when you can make them have to buy a brand new P90D with Ludicrous for the 13k up charge over a P90D which is an up charge over a used P85D in itself ?

Unless you're trying to increase revenue from your CPO sales. You could then offer to add Ludicrous to an in inventory CPO car for the 5k. Perhaps some would jump on that but you'd risk cannibalizing P90D sales, both new and Certified used, if you did it.

Last edited:
Isn't that possibly it right there? The date of the tweet? This is all one big April Fool's joke?

dude... the guy has like 120 Twitter followers. probably zero of whom own a Tesla or care about cars in general.

he is clearly passionate about his Model S..... why would he prank his own hobby? then, the video is from the 9th!

enough paranoia about April Fool's day. god i hate it so much precisely because of things like this. this is not an April fools joke for the very reason that it would be a terribly UNFUNNY/OBSCURE/ILLOGICAL "joke"!

Don't know who has tested this, but it was originally said that it would only be available for 6 months as well when it was announced back on 7/17/15.

Three Dog Day

They're still advertising it, and apparently it is still available much longer than 6 months following the initial announcement of it.

Just to clarify this, when it was announced, Musk did indeed say the offer would be made available to P85D owners for six months. But it was never clear if that meant "six months from today" or six months from when Tesla actually started selling or installing the upgrades.

I made sure to pay for the deposit on mine within six months of the announcement date, and advised others to do the same, just to be safe, but I would not go so far as to say that it is clear Tesla is making this available for "far longer than six months...", as I believe the first upgrades were performed in late November, 2015.

• Helpful
I agree with this - If he has been sitting on this for a month or two and they're about to release it, this may be part of the social reveal and not an NDA violation. Elon hinted about Plaid just this week. This is marketing.

please tell me you are not serious.

yes yes... Tesla is one of the most secretive and highly disciplined companies on earth, led by a man who relishes breaking news and updates, including one coming up this week.

but instead of waiting for the Model S refresh announcement, they have decided on a different path. they will leak a significant new power capability of their halo car via a guy who calls himself "Kevlar Condom" on his buddy's YouTube channel, "Nerdgasm", hosted by a man-child named Barnacules.

riiiiiiiiiiiight. o_O

CfsSHHmWQAAv_jP.jpg

um, no, this is nothing but this guy softly violating his NDA.