Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Secret Sauce" power upgrade coming - beyond Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought it odd that his Ideal Range is 294 and he is below the battery's nearly Full point.
also, My 85kW battery's Ideal is only 277.
Maybe hinting at the notion that this isn't a 85kW??

When he mentioned that he entered a code, it reminded me of the 007 easter egg. Maybe the code for this one is 762 instead.

Maybe with some additional combination of switching to Luda + battery Warming mode + triggering the hyperdrive display first, just for kicks :)

Interestingly, ideal Range is called "Rated" in the EU, and goes up to 310 miles @ 100% (new battery) because the EU test cycle is more generous than the US EPA. So the Ideal Miles could just be a bug where the EU number is shown instead of the US number.

Is it possible that the inconnel contactors can handle more than 1500 amps of current? Perhaps Tesla has had more time to test the system at higher current and they are happy with the results viz-a-viz maintaining the 8 year warranty.

I think Elon said something along those lines at the announcement--that the 1,500A rating was conservative.

Last edited:
More kW provides increased power for faster speeds.

When can we get a 500 kW battery pack?

I would like Hyperloop speed for an entire road trip.

Isn't it technically the ability to deliver "more volts" that will lead to higher speeds, not just the capacity of the pack? IIRC, its one of the reasons the S85 has a faster 0-60 time than the S60 400V vs 360V.

Just to clarify this, when it was announced, Musk did indeed say the offer would be made available to P85D owners for six months. But it was never clear if that meant "six months from today" or six months from when Tesla actually started selling or installing the upgrades.

I made sure to pay for the deposit on mine within six months of the announcement date, and advised others to do the same, just to be safe, but I would not go so far as to say that it is clear Tesla is making this available for "far longer than six months...", as I believe the first upgrades were performed in late November, 2015.

Well to be fair, you edited out a key portion of what I said in that sentence.

What I said was; "They're still advertising it, and apparently it is still available much longer than 6 months following the initial announcement of it."

I'm sure that it was an oversight, that portion "following the initial announcement of it" which caused you to edit it out of your quote of me above.

Yes, there were discussions about this. I believe that you and I may have had one. However if the following text from the Three Dog Day information is to be taken literally:

...... "In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor."

Three Dog Day

It doesn't say 6 months after the initial installs.

Taken to the letter, "for the next six months" would indicate January 17, 2016 as the cutoff of the "offering", as "the next six months" would be on that date. However we are now into April and apparently it is still being offered for sale.

Hence I think that it is fair to say that this offering has continued for far longer, almost 3 months longer, than it was said that it would be available.

Best case scenario, Ludicrous was put up for sale on the Tesla site on September 25th, 2015, and even that was over 6 months ago and it is still being offered.

P85D Ludicrous Pre-Order Upgrade Available 9/25/15

Last edited:
Just for comparison:

The fully electric Rimac claims to have a battery pack which is designed to deliver 1 MW for acceleration.

Further they claim 1088 horsepower and 1600 Nm torque.

It is supposed to go from 0-100 kmh (0-62 mph) in 2.6 seconds.

Isn't it technically the ability to deliver "more volts" that will lead to higher speeds, not just the capacity of the pack? IIRC, its one of the reasons the S85 has a faster 0-60 time than the S60 400V vs 360V.

The pack size matters too. Batteries don't like being drained too fast, and that discharge rate is relative to how big they are. Make a bigger battery, and the same relative discharge rate results in more power.

I'm sure that it was an oversight, that portion "following the initial announcement of it" which caused you to edit it out of your quote of me above.

<SNIP>

Best case scenario, Ludicrous was put up for sale on the Tesla site on September 25th, 2015, and even that was over 6 months ago and it is still being offered.

I'm definitely not trying to quibble over this.

I think we definitely both agree that anyone interested in this upgrade who hasn't paid the deposit yet is taking a huge gamble, and the offer could very reasonably be pulled now at any time, and without additional notice.

So for those that have looked at the data from P85Ds, DLs, P90Ds and P90DLs, where do you think the extra power is coming from?

Tesla maxes out torque of both motors for one second until the battery reaches it's current limit at which point the system is battery limited.

IF there is such a thing, the only wiggle room I can see is an increase of initial torque above what the motors are spec'd for. This would only be available for (less) than the first second as the battery limit would kick in sooner.

Thoughts?

I don't think they are maxing out the torque. Torque should be basically heat limited. I think they could make significant gains in 0-60 without any more battery power.

Ah, the old "there are more pages and I didn't realize" mistake. I do that one a lot more than I should!

I have an excuse, though, this time. Really I do!

I had been doing a search to see if I could find details on the Ludicrous easter egg, after posting in the other thread about this video, and that search turned up a post in this thread, and somehow because I came to the thread in a weird way I completely missed the fact that I was not at the end of it.

OK, I didn't say it was a GOOD excuse. :)

I'm definitely not trying to quibble over this.

I think we definitely both agree that anyone interested in this upgrade who hasn't paid the deposit yet is taking a huge gamble, and the offer could very reasonably be pulled now at any time, and without additional notice.

I would most certainly agree with that.

The offer could be pulled at any time, and in fact, to the letter of the original statement, it could have been pulled at any time after 1/17/2016, which was long before today's date. But it does not seem that it has been pulled even months following that date as it is still for sale on Tesla's site.

That was my point to the gentleman I responded to back at post #73.

But my advice to anyone thinking that they may be interested in the offering, it is best to act now as opposed to waiting any longer, as it could be removed at any time because the originally stated 6 months are up, no matter if one looks at statement release date, for sale offering date, or initial install date.

Following is just one more reason I think this is an April Fool's hoax.

In the video, as one of the guys holds the Ludicrous button for a few seconds to initiate the Easter egg screen, they claim that doing so is part of the procedure for enabling the new "special sauce" mode. But we know that is just an Easter egg. The fact that they used that Easter egg to try to make it appear as if the car were changing modes is a pretty big tip off, at least to me, that this is not legitimate.

Following is just one more reason I think this is an April Fool's hoax.

In the video, as one of the guys holds the Ludicrous button for a few seconds to initiate the Easter egg screen, they claim that doing so is part of the procedure for enabling the new "special sauce" mode. But we know that is just an Easter egg. The fact that they used that Easter egg to try to make it appear as if the car were changing modes is a pretty big tip off, at least to me, that this is not legitimate.

Hold the tesla T for 5 seconds after the Easter Egg...

Reactions: bhzmark
Acceleration of ONE G is ~ 9.8 meters per second per second, right ?
I wondered about the claim of 1.67 G

The video show the car accelerating from 7 mph ( 3.57 m/s) to 77 mph (34.4 m/s) over about 5 seconds. So at one G, wouldn't the car be going over 50 meters per second ?

0.67G sounds ballpark to me, if my arithmetic is correct

Acceleration of ONE G is ~ 9.8 meters per second per second, right ?
I wondered about the claim of 1.67 G

The video show the accelerating from 7 mph ( 3.57 m/s) to 77 mph (34.4 m/s) over about 5 seconds. So at one G, wouldn't the car be going over 50 meters per second ?
As I said above, the filmed acceleration does not seem to be significantly different than a ludicrous car.

• Informative
Reactions: donauker