Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Secret Sauce" power upgrade coming - beyond Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point. :)

Was reading through some of the comments beneath the video on YouTube:

LossVegas3 hours ago
What will it do in the 1/4 mile?

Barnacules Nerdgasm2 hours ago
+LossVegas < 10 seconds... I can't give the real time yet.

LossVegas2 hours ago
I'd love to see this up against an SRT Hellcat in the 1/4 mi on street tires. You have any other rich friends who's into Dodge's?

Hide replies

cvm1233 hours ago
I wonder how much you drain the battery when you play like that with the car.

Barnacules Nerdgasm2 hours ago
+cvm123 very fast. We killed 50 miles of range in 15 minutes of driving with maybe 5 launches?

cvm1232 hours ago
I see, thanks for the info. I think it was totally worth it!

Holy sh!%, this is such a distraction! Could it be that I already own such a car that can do 0-60 in 2.4, pull 1.67Gs off the line, and do the 1/4 mile sprint in <10.9 with all the heavy options specified like 2nd charger, pano roof, air suspension...etc?

Maybe Elon was at the drag strip recently and noticed some annoying stock Porsche 911 Turbo S's routinely getting 10.5's...

Unlike many of you here I was more than satisfied with what I drove off with from the dealer :). Ludicrous mode is physically painful. In my case you can still feel the residual effects of it for up to 15 minutes after use.

Reactions: Anssi and Tree95
Hate to rain on your parade, but... Getting more power out of the battery for a few transient bursts of speed is probably totally doable.

The hard part is avoiding thermal throttling later that makes Tesla behave just like a Camry carrying an elephant.

Reactions: omarsultan
Fair enough but someone has to explain "Plaid" to me. I've seen that term used here a lot and I had to look up the definition (even though I majored in English!) and sure enough it means what I thought it did which still makes me wonder what everyone is talking about. Now, if it was called "Preposterous" mode I'd get it. "Plaid" mode... goes right over my head?

Edit: Okay I googled "Maximum Plaid" and I see it refers to something in the "Spaceballs" movie. That's pretty cheesy if you ask me.
They are all space balls references

So the quartermile in less than 10 seconds.

0-60 mph in 2.4 seconds.

1.67g.

And the story originated with a twitter post from April 1st...

"Secret Sauce". Yeah. Sure.

Not quite. Video was posted yesterday which is April 9th. No indication the video or the test drive has anything to do with April fools. If it's supposed to be an April fools joke, it's pretty dumb and a week late.

Text from the actual Youtube video:

Published on Apr 9, 2016
My good friend Adam (aka. Kevlar Condom) recently had Tesla upgrade his car from Model S P85D_ Ludicrous edition (762hp) to an option that is not publicly available referred to as 'Secret Sauce'. I can't give you the figures on it since they haven't been made public yet under NDA but I can say it's a HUGE step over Ludicrous edition especially on the big end. I can't imagine how this car could get any faster!

Last edited:
honestly I have a P85D and i want the ludacris update but its insanely expensive to upgrade at $10,000. (in hk, it's even more than that)

For 85D owners to go to a full P90DL, that's a huge difference in price so I don't see why anyone's complaining that "if tesla told me ..., i would have ..."

That's like buying a 535i m sport while being fully aware that there is a M5 available for $40k more but they may upgrade the engine over time to give it an extra 30-40 hp in mid cycle updates.

Even knowing that there is this upgrade, I still won't spend $10k on the upgrade to ludacris mode and possibly MORE for this plaid mode upgrade and I'm already an existing P85D owner.

One thing that gets me about the video...at time stamp 1:22 it shows 283 miles of range at around 90% charge. I thought the P85D was rated at 253 on a 100% charge. So perhaps there is a 100 kwh battery in there, or he's using ideal range.

I'm not sure I believe any of this yet. The "launch mode" start in the OP's video looked awful slow to me.

Can those with Ludy compare the power meter around 5:45 in the video to what you see in your cars? Looks like it gets pegged and stays pegged. Do you see that on regular ludicrous mode?

So for those that have looked at the data from P85Ds, DLs, P90Ds and P90DLs, where do you think the extra power is coming from?

Tesla maxes out torque of both motors for one second until the battery reaches it's current limit at which point the system is battery limited.

IF there is such a thing, the only wiggle room I can see is an increase of initial torque above what the motors are spec'd for. This would only be available for (less) than the first second as the battery limit would kick in sooner.

Thoughts?