Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Secret Sauce" power upgrade coming - beyond Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance Demo Mode does not *increase* performance. It can only be used to *decrease* performance.

See my posts on the topic from a while back when I first discovered it:

Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

You can see in the graph I posted soon after that the performance is quite literally identical in "Max" as it is to not messing with performance demo mode at all.

Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

(Took me an obscene amount of time to find these posts due to the hard-coded 20 post per page limit, and I'm reminded of why I don't come here anymore...)

Last edited:
This twitter account now says

"I have been advised to make no comments at this time. - Adam Schmidt (@KevlarCondom)"

Sounds like he did break some NDA...

If he had really violated the terms of an NDA, he wouldn't then be allowed to turn around and post that he was advised not to say anything. That in itself would most likely violate the terms.

Sounds like it's just the next step in an elaborate hoax.

Sounds like it's just the next step in an elaborate hoax.

Or a step that he is taking to try in some way to save some face.

Perhaps somehow things went other than how the guys who made the video expected them to go, and pulling the video and making that statement is just part of the damage control.

But like Sorka and others, I don't believe Tesla was in any way involved in the video being pulled. Getting involved in any way with a video like that, and the guys who made it, would be beneath Tesla.

if you have a PxxD you can press and hold the T, enter performance as the password, and a menu appears allowing you to get your car to emulate lower performance models. This is apparently used by sales centers to give test drives where people can see what the different models feel like.
This is precisely how we received our test drive. We were interested in the 90D, but the dealer only had a P90D available, so the salesperson just dialed it down to "90D", except at the very end when he turned it all the way back up so we could experience a Ludicrous launch :) It seemed to require a lot of fiddling on his part to change this.

Last edited:
I watched the video before it was taken down. I stumbled upon this article that came out a while ago. You'll notice that it uses the same secret sauce phrase. Perhaps the upgrade he was testing out was tuned for performance rather than an increase in range.

Temporarily increased inverter efficiency could mean more power from the batteries reaching the motors, subsequently resulting in a performance increase? I don't know I'm grasping at shadows.

Barnacules on Twitter

Last edited:
Perhaps the upgrade he was testing out was tuned for performance rather than an increase in range. Temporarily increased inverter efficiency could mean more power from the batteries reaching the motors, subsequently resulting in a performance increase? I don't know I'm grasping at shadows.

If they could increase the efficiency of the inverter, that would both - help range AND possibly allow higher top end power.