Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Secret Supercharger at SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
My Model X is at the SC for some repairs at Costa Mesa. Last night at 10 PM I received a notification that my car has begun charging. I decided to open up the Tesla app and to my surprise it stated "Supercharging". Their is no supercharger listed at Costa Mesa so this is clearly a secret one.

Here are some screenshots:

10:01 PM:
1.PNG
(Notice how the charging began exactly at 10 PM, you can't specify the start time at a "normal" supercharger. Also, the car is unlocked).

2.PNG

3.PNG

When I checked back at 11:34 PM:
4.PNG
The car seemed to be locked at the port was unplugged. Does Tesla have someone working at 11 PM or is this a secret snake charger???

Here is a video:

What do you guys think?? Anyone else notice this before?

My Model X is at the SC for some repairs at Costa Mesa. Last night at 10 PM I received a notification that my car has begun charging. I decided to open up the Tesla app and to my surprise it stated "Supercharging". Their is no supercharger listed at Costa Mesa so this is clearly a secret one.

Here are some screenshots:

10:01 PM:
View attachment 182483
(Notice how the charging began exactly at 10 PM, you can't specify the start time at a "normal" supercharger. Also, the car is unlocked).

View attachment 182484

View attachment 182485

When I checked back at 11:34 PM:
View attachment 182486
The car seemed to be locked at the port was unplugged. Does Tesla have someone working at 11 PM or is this a secret snake charger???

Here is a video:

What do you guys think?? Anyone else notice this before?

Yes, my X was there at the exact location as yours for long long time. I know, I remember, and I can recall!

Also Tesla service is close for appointment at 6, but they actually continue to working with their night shift until 10 pm

To fix that rattle noise and some seals that weren't perfect

We should have some kind of OC Tesla meet or something. I never had confident to go to any of those meet due to my X is pretty messed up, don't really want to show off my ride half broken. With the new one coming, I am more confident with the quality and definitely want to meet more Tesla people especially the "Sunshade captain of TMC"! Wouldn't be cool that "Sunshade Captain" Vs "Door Captain" meet? Lol! I will be traveling to China for business on July 5th - 15th, don't know when the new X will be delivered but I can't wait to touch my new ride!

• Funny
Reactions: K-MTG
I don't find superchargers at Tesla Service Centers a big surprise.
As one of those service courtesies, I would expect that I would get may car back fully charged and ready to go.
But if were a public watering hole (for free!) it would be constantly occupied when the Service Centerfolk would need it. Not a good thing.

The BMW dealerships recharge their customers' cars, and it may be available to others that drop in from time to time, based on availability (which is "never").

-- Ardie

• Helpful
Reactions: umeshunni
We should have some kind of OC Tesla meet or something. I never had confident to go to any of those meet due to my X is pretty messed up, don't really want to show off my ride half broken. With the new one coming, I am more confident with the quality and definitely want to meet more Tesla people especially the "Sunshade captain of TMC"! Wouldn't be cool that "Sunshade Captain" Vs "Door Captain" meet? Lol! I will be traveling to China for business on July 5th - 15th, don't know when the new X will be delivered but I can't wait to touch my new ride!
@ModelXBoy - maybe you will be able to drive one in China..they just had their first delivery ceremony :)

Many SvCs will get customer-facing SCs and HPWCs, and many already have private SCs and HPWCs.

Other than during that time of day when they platoon cars through the SCs (as I saw outside of Nashville and at SLC), the SCs are as wide open as any other of the 97% of SCs not located in areas of underserved density (see Orange County, for example, which will remain a problem unless and until they place an SC in North (San Diego) County. Orange County for those unaware is the #1 county in the hemisphere for ownership, which is to say it is the county with the most Tesla owners - and it's not close. I would have thought it would have been one of the Bay Area counties, but what do I know.

Of all the regions in the US, the Southwest Region seems to have the most challenges, along with the most problems self-created by questionable SC placements. It certainly does stand apart in that regard. Happily, with the exception of the little ones, all of the SvCs in SoCal should have public-facing SCs in time. This will be nice to mitigate density and distance users after hours at the least.

Of course, the term "after hours" takes on a bit of a fanciful connotation, as some SvCs are already working double shifts and it's not out of the realm of possibility to consider 24/7 operations at some of the larger ones (e.g., the CPO hubs such as Buena Park).

They unplug dashcams while cars are at service center. :(

Which, I was told, they are supposed to disclose.

It wasn't one time, they did it wrong, and it cost me a day's worth of amateur B-roll canyon video footage some of which took me 2 days to get to. Now I have to remember to disconnect it myself and to tell them to kindly not touch it. So frustrating but cheaper than the alternative.