Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Secret word for configuring Homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trick for me was literally bringing the clicker 1" away from the bumper. I tried for 20 minutes unsuccessfully pointing the clicker at the bumper while standing a few feet in front of the car, but when I put it nearly touching the bumper it caught the signal right away. Hope that helps...

I couldn't get it to train from inside the vehicle (tried that first before I got out since it was easy enough to do), but it worked on first try a couple of feet in front of the car with the remote held normally.

My only trouble was then linking the car to the opener - the instructions on the back of the opener were wrong, and I accidentally erased all opener links instead of linking the car. Once I ignored the instructions and went with memory / instinct it worked fine. I first tapped the button in the Model 3 then hit the learn button on the opener (with the window rolled down so I could just lean in and tap).

My garage door opener is about 10 years old (genie 2024). The process that Tesla walks you through worked fine but the Tesla was never able to open or close the door. I had to add one step at the end. Once the Tesla steps were happy I just pushed the learn button on my opener again and pressed the homelink I created on my Tesla and then they were paired. Now the homelink on my Tesla works and the distance of 70 feet for the auto open/close works great.

Bringing the clicker inside the frunk worked for me. Tesla learned the signal, told me to push the "Learn" button on the opener, and declared the process completed. It worked for a few days, then stopped opening the garage door. You know when you push the Homelink button, there is a momentary animation of the signal being emitted? Well, this animation stopped happening and the garage door stopped opening.

I repeated the process twice since, and each time it worked for a few days. About to repeat it again.

Is this a known issue, or could I be doing something wrong to bring this upon myself?

I did NOT replace the battery in the clicker, though I did oder fresh batteries and will now have ten CR2032s waiting to be needed. I read about and tried the frunk trick before the batteries arrived, so I skipped that. Now, it can't be that, can it? If a fresh battery were required, I would not be able to complete the learning process, would I?

Can it be that Tesla makes the decision when emitting the signal is appropriate and when it isn't, and making it wrong? It's not like it does not know that it's close to the garage. The green Homelink icon pops up when I pull up near. But pressing it does nothing until learning steps are repeated.

I just got my Model 3 a few days ago. I happened to have just bought a new clicker for my 20 year old garage door opener a few weeks ago since the previous ones both died (new batteries didn't fix them) over the last year.

It took about 10 tries to program the Homelink. I knew the battery was good.
I held the remote 6 or 8 inches in front of the bumper, pressed the button and the headlights flashed after about 5 seconds.
In the next step you have press the learn button on the opener.
5+ times this didn't work.
I moved the car closer...about 1 foot from the door instead of 8 feet.
After about 3 or 4 tries it worked.

Funny. Now my handheld remote does not work, so I guess I have to retrain it.
When I did it a few weeks ago it worked after just one try.

Mike

While I haven't had the same issues others are describing here (programmed it on day 1 and it's worked ever since), I did have a failure last night. Repeated attempts to close the garage door did not succeed. A reboot of the main display (hold down both scroll wheels) restored control of the garage door. This was on 2018.21.9, but I'm loading a new software update right now.

• Helpful
Reactions: ponzu
While I haven't had the same issues others are describing here (programmed it on day 1 and it's worked ever since), I did have a failure last night. Repeated attempts to close the garage door did not succeed. A reboot of the main display (hold down both scroll wheels) restored control of the garage door. This was on 2018.21.9, but I'm loading a new software update right now.
Having read your note, I, too, rebooted the system when it refused to activate the Homelink, and it worked. While it's a less drastic step than reprogramming Homelink from scratch, I am not looking forward to doing this regularly. Maybe the issue was resolved in 2018.28.1, which I received today.

No problem configuring homelink. The directions are pretty straightforward and after a couple of tries, it works like a charm. You can set it to open automatically as you near the garage. You can even program the distance away to open the door automatically. I have mine set at forty feet.