Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Secure way for Tesla owner renting their car to me to enable Smart Summon in my Tesla app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just booked a Tesla Model 3 through Turo near Tucson, AZ for January 9th. I hope to experience smart summon in the wild.

The renter indicated he could not enable smart summon for me as that would require him giving me his Tesla credentials which, due to understandable security concerns, he does not want to do.

Is there a secure way for the renter to enable smart summon on my Tesla app on my phone for the duration of the rental? (I don't own a Tesla yet, but hope to soon and would download the app for the duration of the rental).

Or am I limited to the Model 3 owner showing me smart summon in his driveway?

Thank you for any advice or suggestion!

And if you live in the Tucson, AZ area and want to show us your Tesla, I'm trying to convince my parents to buy one! But, as they live in Anchorage, AK (we are just visiting friends in Tucson for the holidays), my father in particular doesn't think there is enough charging infrastructure to support a Tesla in Alaska

To use the app at all (which is how you use smart summon among other features) you need to log into it with the owners tesla credentials.

which I sure as hell would not give out to someone renting my Tesla.

No way around that.

FWIW there's Tesla owners here from Alaska, they seem to have no issue.

Unless they plan to do a ton of road trips to the middle of nowhere the only charging infrastructure that really matters is in their garage- as that's were most owners do 99% of their charging anyway.

Public chargers aren't really useful or needed unless you're driving MANY hundreds of miles in a single day.

That’s up to the owner renting it. Some may choose to allow that. I rented a 3 before I decided to buy. The owner I rented from signed me into his account for an extra fee. This was before smart summon though. I could see smart summon making owners less likely to want to do that. You don’t know how a renter may try to use it.

I've just booked a Tesla Model 3 through Turo near Tucson, AZ for January 9th. I hope to experience smart summon in the wild.

The renter indicated he could not enable smart summon for me as that would require him giving me his Tesla credentials which, due to understandable security concerns, he does not want to do.

Is there a secure way for the renter to enable smart summon on my Tesla app on my phone for the duration of the rental? (I don't own a Tesla yet, but hope to soon and would download the app for the duration of the rental).

Or am I limited to the Model 3 owner showing me smart summon in his driveway?

Thank you for any advice or suggestion!

And if you live in the Tucson, AZ area and want to show us your Tesla, I'm trying to convince my parents to buy one! But, as they live in Anchorage, AK (we are just visiting friends in Tucson for the holidays), my father in particular doesn't think there is enough charging infrastructure to support a Tesla in Alaska

Hi, I’ve rented my Model 3 (SR+ w FSD) on Turo in Toronto 22 times. Only 1 person had ever asked for the credentials.

I did not let them due to them having the ability to have full access to my account. Additionally, I didn’t want a stranger with no EV or Tesla experience f**king around with my car in a busy parking lot and wrecking it.

Yes, it’s a cool feature, but even if there was a way to give App access without compromising the credentials, I wouldn’t do it.

Unfortunately you’re relegated to only everything else that makes the model 3 an amazing feat of technology. You’ll love it. Summon is cool, but it looks like you’ll just have to go to find a friend with FSD or buy one and find out for yourself like many of us did.

Enjoy!