Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Secure your Model 3 Trunk in 3 minutes Without Buying Anything!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 3D printing and installing a trunk lock mod, I didn't like it as a piece broke soon after I installed it, and it took up some clearance in the trunk. So I designed a free lock mod that anyone can build in 3-5 minutes with free and easy to get parts. All you need is a free paint stir stick from Lowe's or HomeDepot, and a large rubber band, or 2 good sized rubber bands (3-4" long each connected together). Saw, cut or sand the stir stick into 2 smaller sticks about 20mm x 120mm (.80" x 4.75") with a 1/4" hole in each. Connect them together with the rubber band, and your lock is done! Enjoy the video!

Disclaimer: No car, trunk, house, or safe is really secure. Locks only slow down criminals. Most criminals want to grab and dash as quickly as possible. This will stop most criminals from getting into your trunk that want to make a quick getaway. It will not stop a thief with a crowbar that has a few minutes on his hands to pry open the trunk or seat. Use common sense and do not leave expensive items in your trunk if your car is parked in a remote location, etc...

I’ll probably design a simple 3D printed “stick” lock that holds inside the latch without the need to have the rubber band. I’m just too busy now designing products for work to have much time for any fun or hobbies. (I have what in think is a cool design in my head already and it’s burning a hole wanting to get done.) For now my cheapie stir sticks will keep my truck secure until I print something more elegant. Maybe even print it with carbon fiber filament for “Performance” version. LoL.

Clever but hopefully you guys are aware that there's no way for a thief to open the rear door anyway.

I can't imagine a scenario where your precious trunk junk just happens to be nicely arranged toward the front left corner with easy to hook handles plainly visible (with a flashlight) and a thief happens to show up with intimate knowledge of the seat latch, a flashlight he's not afraid to wave around, some sort of long hook, and plenty of time on his hands.

tumblr_2cac1f2b43e9bd2da289ac48d0cadff3_ef3c503c_1280.png

Last edited:
Reactions: fossilcreek
Clever but hopefully you guys are aware that there's no way for a thief to open the rear door anyway.

I can't imagine a scenario where your precious trunk junk just happens to be nicely arranged toward the front left corner with easy to hook handles plainly visible (with a flashlight) and a thief happens to show up with intimate knowledge of the seat latch, a flashlight he's not afraid to wave around, some sort of long hook, and plenty of time on his hands.

View attachment 708953
No one is opening the rear door to access the trunk. They are breaking the small quarter window and flipping the seat down.

Burglars traditionally break these little windows so that they can reach in to unlock the door with with less noise and less glass ending up on the seat/loot. The goal is to enter the car unless there's something clearly visible that can be taken immediately. They don't know that Tesla doors can't be opened - if they did, they'd just break the rear door window so that they'd actually be able to reach in a little bit. But really, if they knew that, they'd just break into the next car instead.

Why does that make Tesla cheapskates? You do understand that laminated glass can't be accessed as easily as tempered glass for fire departments, should they need to save your life.

There's always the windscreen. Anyway, one good whack and the glass can be shifted even if it is stuck together with a laminate. It just doesn't shatter into a million pieces. But my comment was a bit tongue in cheek anyway. I'm not really concerned if the rear is or isn't laminated, I am concerned that the soundproofing isn't as good as it could be. It's got a lot of tyre noise IMHO (though no worse than my old car which also had laminated side screens). I measured ~70dB at 60mph on tarmac in both cars.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki