Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Securing mobile charger to the wall

llamafilm

May 23, 2021
USA
I just received my Model 3 and I'm using the mobile connector (gen 2) at home with a locking NEMA 14-50 outlet. I leave the cable attached to the wall all the time, so it's easy to plugin when I park the car. The 32A charging is fast enough for me, so I don't really see a need to buy the wall connector. But I'm concerned that the 14-50 adapter doesn't attach securely to the cable. It's just held together with friction, so the weight of the cable may eventually cause it to fall out. I see three little slots on the mobile connector, which look kind of like Kensington lock slots you would find on a laptop. Are these somehow used to secure the NEMA adapter? What are some other ways people used to secure the cable? I have seen some 3d-printed brackets to hold it, but those might not fit since my outlet is surface mounted, not flush.

IMG_0002.jpg

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
You are correct, its bad to have it just hanging there. It will indeed work itself out.

I'm pretty sure those 3d printed UMC holsters would work fine in this situation.

sewing1

2020 Model Y LR AWD
Sep 10, 2019
Florida
I bought and like the $35 Tesla Cable Organizer. It includes a holster.

Reactions: llamafilm

brulaz

Feb 4, 2021
Ontario Canada
I dunno. I had to practically hammer my 14-30 plug to get it in. Don't think it'll work its way out anytime soon. And luckily I have no intention of deliberately removing it anytime soon.

The socket is outside so I built a crude box around it, open at the bottom, to keep the worst of the weather off it and the UMC. It has a plexiglass front to monitor the UMC.

DeltaOne

Mar 19, 2021
Mount Airy, MD
I bought and like the $35 Tesla Cable Organizer. It includes a holster.

I have the same setup as the first poster, NEMA 14-50 weather proof box with the UMC hanging below. The $35 Tesla Cable Organizer looks nice but I don't think the holder for the UMC would work. The cable from the plug to the UMC is short, you can't get the UMC up flat against the wall. I guess you could put a block of wood behind it, but that's not an ideal solution either.

I had already purchased a hook for the cable. And that works well.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC