Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Securing mobile charger to the wall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my Model 3 and I'm using the mobile connector (gen 2) at home with a locking NEMA 14-50 outlet. I leave the cable attached to the wall all the time, so it's easy to plugin when I park the car. The 32A charging is fast enough for me, so I don't really see a need to buy the wall connector. But I'm concerned that the 14-50 adapter doesn't attach securely to the cable. It's just held together with friction, so the weight of the cable may eventually cause it to fall out. I see three little slots on the mobile connector, which look kind of like Kensington lock slots you would find on a laptop. Are these somehow used to secure the NEMA adapter? What are some other ways people used to secure the cable? I have seen some 3d-printed brackets to hold it, but those might not fit since my outlet is surface mounted, not flush.

IMG_0002.jpg

I bought and like the $35 Tesla Cable Organizer. It includes a holster.

Reactions: llamafilm
I dunno. I had to practically hammer my 14-30 plug to get it in. Don't think it'll work its way out anytime soon. And luckily I have no intention of deliberately removing it anytime soon.

The socket is outside so I built a crude box around it, open at the bottom, to keep the worst of the weather off it and the UMC. It has a plexiglass front to monitor the UMC.

I bought and like the $35 Tesla Cable Organizer. It includes a holster.

I have the same setup as the first poster, NEMA 14-50 weather proof box with the UMC hanging below. The $35 Tesla Cable Organizer looks nice but I don't think the holder for the UMC would work. The cable from the plug to the UMC is short, you can't get the UMC up flat against the wall. I guess you could put a block of wood behind it, but that's not an ideal solution either.

I had already purchased a hook for the cable. And that works well.

Have a parking space in a condo building garage with a 220V NEMA outlet, mobile charger.

The garage is easy to get into and has had multiple cases of teens sneaking in and stealing stuff that is left out like bikes.

I am worried they will steal my mobile charger.

Any ideas on how to secure it when it is charging that would make it less easy to just "press to disengage and go"? Primarily has to discourage easy theft.

I prefer not to go with a permanent wall-mount charger as they will require an electrician to install it. I probably could get away with a bolt or something into the concrete wall if it's not too visible near the NEMA outlet, but not sure what I can put around the mobile charger itself?

The only thing they can steal is the adapter between the connector and the outlet. When the mobile connector is plugged into the car it is locked in place when the car is locked, and cannot be removed.

You could get the Corded Mobile Connector which does not use an adapter. It requires a 14-50 outlet and will charge the car at 40A (as opposed to the mobile connector’s 32A limit)

But honestly, if you already have a wired 240 outlet, adding the wall connector is very easy to do.

I have the corded mobile connector. My condo assoc won't let me install a wall charger. I need a hack so there's a visible deterrent to teens who see the corded mobile connector so they won't try to yank it from car or just unplug from NEMA outlet.

I have the corded mobile connector. My condo assoc won't let me install a wall charger. I need a hack so there's a visible deterrent to teens who see the corded mobile connector so they won't try to yank it from car or just unplug from NEMA outlet.

Teens? People keying Teslas and blowing coal are rarely teens.

Perhaps a zip tie will work. Buy 100, keep in car just remember to have wire cutter to cut it off when done.

NYC can be prohibitively expensive to meet a condo board's requirements. I should have specified practically speaking the board won't allow me -- electrical engineer, electrician, lawyer, etc.

Has anyone hot glued a padlock hook onto mobile charger that could go into a concrete wall hook? bike chain? I'm thinking those kind of things and hoping someone can recommend - chargers in RV parks are similar situations I would guess (not that secure NEMA outlets) - thanks!