Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security Guards at Super Charger Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How quickly you all forget they are charging now for SC overages and idle time ....snip....
I've got $20 if you can give me one person who's ever been charged a fee for being a squatter. it was just a threat, & hasn't ever happened, afaik. I've asked a couple squatters that we spotted over the past couple months and they've never been hit up for money. Ergo they keep doing it. Tried it myself - just to see what, if anything happens. Nothing - zip - nada.
I wonder how often kids are maimed and killed by dogs?
there's no way to tell. The kids breaking in to the local ghetto crackhouse don't report it. In Pari delicto.
to swing things back on topic, here's what we noticed yesterday at a supercharger stop;
20170627_195927.jpg

that's not me that was brave enough to try to use it anyway. But it WAS still working, but we called it in.

Last edited:
I've got $20 if you can give me one person who's ever been charged a fee for being a squatter. it was just a threat, & hasn't ever happened, afaik. I've asked a couple squatters that we spotted over the past couple months and they've never been hit up for money. Ergo they keep doing it. Tried it myself - just to see what, if anything happens. Nothing - zip - nada.

From what I read, they are not assessing the squatter fee unless the SpC is over 50% full once your charge is complete, and you've been there longer than 5 minutes past your charge cutoff. And then, they don't charge you until the next time you go to the service center.

Supercharger Idle Fee

From what I read, they are not assessing the squatter fee unless the SpC is over 50% full once your charge is complete, and you've been there longer than 5 minutes past your charge cutoff. And then, they don't charge you until the next time you go to the service center.

Supercharger Idle Fee
Yes, everyone here knows when the idle fee is supposed to be charged. The question is has anyone actually had to pay it. No one has ever reported having to pay an idle fee. A few people said theirs was waived, and most haven't even been asked to pay it. It's not going to be a deterrent until Tesla has credit cards on file and the idle fees are charged automatically.

Yes, everyone here knows when the idle fee is supposed to be charged. The question is has anyone actually had to pay it. No one has ever reported having to pay an idle fee. A few people said theirs was waived, and most haven't even been asked to pay it. It's not going to be a deterrent until Tesla has credit cards on file and the idle fees are charged automatically.

The real question is, has anyone encountered a situation where they should have been charged and hadn't been?

there's no way to tell. The kids breaking in to the local ghetto crackhouse don't report it. In Pari delicto.
to swing things back on topic, here's what we noticed yesterday at a supercharger stop;
View attachment 233127

that's not me that was brave enough to try to use it anyway. But it WAS still working, but we called it in.
I like the sealant around the cords at the end of the pipe. Although there are issues, including it's hard to seal completely, and it could build up stuff inside such as heat and other gases, I still prefer it, due to it avoiding bugs crawling in it as well as some moisture for a year or two. Of course, it works better if both sides are sealed. Even if both sides are sealed and one isn't 100%, the bugs can't crawl continuously all the way from one end to the other until many years have worked cracks into both sides of the sealant. I think it's generally a good thing to do that as a result, lowering the total cost of problems.

Too bad Tesla's car immobilizer doesn't also work on individuals vandalizing cars and superchargers. Kind of picture something like those ultrasonic pest repellant alarms that supposedly stops rats in their tracks...kind of the same use here, right? Cops would love catching the perps in the act.

Sporadically I'll be charging my car at one of the Tesla service centers in the middle of the night. Is there an update if any guards are at the service centers? This will be at the Buena Park SC.

The thing you have to hope for there (or at any busy combination SvC/DC/CPO Hub/Showroom, for that matter) is that the staff doesn't leave multiple cars at the SC pedestals overnight. ICEing by our own on steroids, as it were.

It's a pretty far walk from that location to anything that resembles decent food, so at least regular owners should be near or in their cars.

I haven't been there after hours for a long time and don't remember if there's a code that appears in Nav to gain access to the restrooms inside.

A call to Tesla or to Buena Park directly should address most of the above. Here's their number: 714.735.5696.

The thing you have to hope for there (or at any busy combination SvC/DC/CPO Hub/Showroom, for that matter) is that the staff doesn't leave multiple cars at the SC pedestals overnight. ICEing by our own on steroids, as it were.

It's a pretty far walk from that location to anything that resembles decent food, so at least regular owners should be near or in their cars.

I haven't been there after hours for a long time and don't remember if there's a code that appears in Nav to gain access to the restrooms inside.

A call to Tesla or to Buena Park directly should address most of the above. Here's their number: 714.735.5696.

Thanks..I'll give them a call.

View attachment 233127

Looks like Mercedes borrowed that charger for a weekend. ;)How Mercedes got caught trashing a rental Tesla Model X

View attachment 233127

Maybe @DÆrik needed one for his garage :)

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I used to see a guard at the Tejon Ranch SC in CA everytime I was there first half of 2017. I stopped by at 2AM one time and saw him. Other locations used to have guards too. Lately though, I have not seen any. With the guards there, it made me feel so VIP-like. 15 minutes of fame over

View attachment 233127

I have been charged idle fees. Funny thing, it was the service people that left my car on the charger. I was out of the country. $126.40 is on my Tesla account page, there is a pay button. Service has agreed to get the charges removed. I am not blaming them, they just wanted to make sure my car was charged. Since it was there for an extended time, I can assert that the idle chargers only accrued periodically. This aligns with times when the SUC was over 50% occupied.
Do I win the $20 bet? :)

I like the sealant around the cords at the end of the pipe. Although there are issues, including it's hard to seal completely, and it could build up stuff inside such as heat and other gases, I still prefer it, due to it avoiding bugs crawling in it as well as some moisture for a year or two. Of course, it works better if both sides are sealed. Even if both sides are sealed and one isn't 100%, the bugs can't crawl continuously all the way from one end to the other until many years have worked cracks into both sides of the sealant. I think it's generally a good thing to do that as a result, lowering the total cost of problems.

I don't think that is to code. You normally use a J there so water can't get in. Should the sealant decay, water will intrude. And white PVC is not to be used for electric service.

If Tesla ends up with copper thief problems, assuming the SC wiring is copper, create a wire that that is like a woven cable, but 90% copper and 10% steel strands woven like you'd see a security cable. They can burn off the insulation, but they cannot remove the steel. Steel strands should be on the outside area of the weave. Scrap dealers pay little in anything for contaminated copper, and the steel strands will require really sharp bolt cutters since they flatten out.

Sounds like a great way to cause Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia
If there is something present to allow ion transfer, sure. But it must have insulation. Unless you're going to water cool the bare metal (ZAP!), you'll see less corrosion that you see in your breaker panel and wall outlets/switches. That is steel/copper under tension and last decades or more.
IIRC, a thin nickel plate will both protect the steel from rust and stop galvanic corrosion, but it's probably not necessary. All you are trying to do is contaminate the copper.

But... skip the steel and nickel plate some of the copper strands. It will still make it harder to cut as nickel is rough on cutting edges.

Last edited:
I have been charged idle fees. Funny thing, it was the service people that left my car on the charger. I was out of the country. $126.40 is on my Tesla account page, there is a pay button. Service has agreed to get the charges removed. I am not blaming them, they just wanted to make sure my car was charged. Since it was there for an extended time, I can assert that the idle chargers only accrued periodically. This aligns with times when the SUC was over 50% occupied.
Do I win the $20 bet? :)
that contest began July 2017 & ended last
year. It was un the boilerplate
:p

Reactions: Nosken
I don't think that is to code. You normally use a J there so water can't get in. Should the sealant decay, water will intrude. And white PVC is not to be used for electric service.

If Tesla ends up with copper thief problems, assuming the SC wiring is copper, create a wire that that is like a woven cable, but 90% copper and 10% steel strands woven like you'd see a security cable. They can burn off the insulation, but they cannot remove the steel. Steel strands should be on the outside area of the weave. Scrap dealers pay little in anything for contaminated copper, and the steel strands will require really sharp bolt cutters since they flatten out.

It would be pretty ballsy to start digging into Supercharger wiring considering there is enough power in one to light up a Supermarket....