Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security implications from setting your home address in the Nav system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anything could happen but this is no more likely than other cars in Nav systems that program home into the system. Even recent addresses correlated with the address on your registration could give them your home address. What about the waiter who sees your car and has your name from the credit card? You could drive yourself insane trying to imagine all the possible threats. Take reasonable precautions that make yourself feel better. If that means not programming your home address into the system then that is what you should do.

There's many plausible holes in this scenario: What does the restaurant manager do when the valet takes off to go rob your house? What's the risk that you don't like the food and finish early? Why does the valet assume the house is unoccupied? What if the door from the garage to the house is locked? How does the valet disable your home alarm system? How does the valet deal with the two big dogs that didn't accompany you to the restaurant? What if you live in a gated community and there's a PIN to get through the gate? Or a security guard? What if you did check your phone, this one time? How does the valet avoid this being tracked back to him/her? The list of reasons it wouldn't work seems endless......

I would also think it's pretty easy to finger the culprit in this scenario. The logs would show the car being driven, the NAV would likely show that the destination was chosen and it it would all point to the valet.

Gosh, I never really thought about this. But now that I have, I think I have a perfect solution. I have a neighbor just down the street who is a total jerk! I could use his address and if his house is broken into... OR, on the other side of the street is a guy who owns some serious caliber guns and would LOVE the opportunity to shoot a perp. Hmmmm, which should I choose as my "home" address???

There's many plausible holes in this scenario: What does the restaurant manager do when the valet takes off to go rob your house?
think accomplices
What's the risk that you don't like the food and finish early?
there is a risk to any undertaking, in this case this is a risk the crook would be taking, nobody every claimed that petty thieves are especially bright!
Why does the valet assume the house is unoccupied?
same risks, the valet would look at my grey hair and take the shot that there isn't a baby sitter watching kiddies at the house.

What if the door from the garage to the house is locked? How does the valet disable your home alarm system? How does the valet deal with the two big dogs that didn't accompany you to the restaurant? What if you live in a gated community and there's a PIN to get through the gate? Or a security guard? What if you did check your phone, this one time? How does the valet avoid this being tracked back to him/her? The list of reasons it wouldn't work seems endless......
let's change the perp to a carjacker, the guy gets you out of your car and now has the info and the ability to go to your home.
you can try to poke holes into my theory and your questions are quite valid, but to ignore the risk of having the exact location of your home at a bad guy's finger tips IMHO is not the wisest thing to do.

it is amazing how intense such a simple discussion can get on a car enthusiast's forum, SMH

I think its only a matter of time before Tesla offers a few things:

1) A valet mode where settings can be locked down (like GPS addresses, address book, etc.). I don't know if the glove box is electrically activated by that button or physically. If electrically and they have a processor in the path it would be nice to lock that out too.

2) Settings tied to individual FOBs. My 2007 Acura has that. The other day the battery in my "normal" key died so I used the backup and none of my address book entries, NAV settings, set settings were there. Once I fixed the battery in the other it was all back. Thats a nice feature and if Acura did it 7 years ago with their ancient approach i'm sure Tesla can do it when it bubbles up the priority list.

I think somebody else said it best “whatever makes you feel more comfortable, then do it” .. so if you don’t like having your home address programmed into the Nav system then that seems reasonable.

However, I do think people imagine these elaborate scenarios with regards to crime, but give very little thought about the things that are far more likely to happen. Typically crimes are ‘opportunity’ crimes.. if it involves more than one step (think rock through a window of your house) and a couple minutes, it’s not going to happen. If somebody is going to go through an elaborate process to rob you, then you are being targeted and there isn’t much you can do to stop them if they’re that determined.

It reminds me of conversations with my mother-in-law about how sleeping next to a clock radio will kill you, but she still doesn’t wear a seat belt (true story).

- - - Updated - - -

I’m not sure I made my point very well with my example, my point was if people spent a proportionate amount of time worrying as the level of risk, then they would never leave their house.

Bottom line.. don’t worry so much.

I think somebody else said it best “whatever makes you feel more comfortable, then do it” .. so if you don’t like having your home address programmed into the Nav system then that seems reasonable.

However, I do think people imagine these elaborate scenarios with regards to crime, but give very little thought about the things that are far more likely to happen. Typically crimes are ‘opportunity’ crimes.. if it involves more than one step (think rock through a window of your house) and a couple minutes, it’s not going to happen. If somebody is going to go through an elaborate process to rob you, then you are being targeted and there isn’t much you can do to stop them if they’re that determined.

It reminds me of conversations with my mother-in-law about how sleeping next to a clock radio will kill you, but she still doesn’t wear a seat belt (true story).

- - - Updated - - -

I’m not sure I made my point very well with my example, my point was if people spent a proportionate amount of time worrying as the level of risk, then they would never leave their house.

Bottom line.. don’t worry so much.
My long-dead Grandma used to say, "Worry is interest paid on a loan not due!"

I don't know if the glove box is electrically activated by that button or physically. If electrically and they have a processor in the path it would be nice to lock that out too.

Maybe the glove box isn't... but the Frunk is, right? Plus your average dumb crook won't think to look up there, it has 2 latches to defeat, and it isn't accessible through any other part of the vehicle (unlike the rear hatch)--- could be a handy "vault" for storing extra luggage when valeting a car *IF* such a mode were offered.

BTW-- for states where carrying the registration IS required, could any law enforcement member post a response as to how acceptable it would be to carry the registration elsewhere in the vehicle... and where?? Everywhere else I can think of seems like it'd be alarming when I reached for it-- even with advance warning.

My android phone learned my home location and work location without ever even asking me. It just knew how much time I spent at each. Now it tells me how far I am from home and work at all times. I never programmed a thing. Be glad the car asked.

a neighbors house wouldn't prevent them from trying homelink up and Down the street.

BTW-- for states where carrying the registration IS required, could any law enforcement member post a response as to how acceptable it would be to carry the registration elsewhere in the vehicle... and where?? Everywhere else I can think of seems like it'd be alarming when I reached for it-- even with advance warning.

Officer: License and registration please.

Me: One moment officer, allow me to pop the hood.

Suggestion. Set your home address to Wrigley Field.
if you lived in wrigleyville that would work out

- - - Updated - - -

I am amazed that nobody has offered this place to carry your registration, IN YOUR WALLET WITH YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE

Registration and proof of insurance requirements also are something you can prove after the fact. You have like a week or 48 hours or 30 days or something, and you just have to bring it in to the DMV Or court. I've had an. Officer use the fact that I didn't have it as an excuse not to give me a speeding ticket and instead give me a ticket for not having the docs with me. He then proceeded to tell me how I could clear the ticket by going to the court and showing my docs and pay a couple dollar fee instead of a large ticket.

Registration and proof of insurance requirements also are something you can prove after the fact.
this might be ok in CA but you should remember that this forum is populated by many people from around the US, Canada and the rest of the world where following such advice might not be the correct thing to do.
for example in NJ failure to have your paperwork with you could result in a visit to court and fines.