Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security implications from setting your home address in the Nav system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
let's try thinking about this, a person leaves his car with a valet at a restaurant where he will spend some time having dinner, in that time the valet can discern where the owner lives, can drive there, can use the homelink to gain entrance to the home, take valuables from the home and then return the car to you as you are leaving.

I agree, let's think about that some more.

can you also afford to have a cop sitting in your driveway?

Right, and aren't you the same guy that wants to strap a semi-automatic to your steering wheel column? No need for a cop in your driveway at least.

Last edited:
Umm....what is itwith the OP deleting his opening post in TWO SEPARATE security-related threads (the other dealing with a call purportedly being from a policeman regarding his vehicle). I think there's something untoward occurring here.....

Right, and aren't you the same guy that wants to strap a semi-automatic to your steering wheel column? No need for a cop in your driveway at least.
not quite, that would be illegal here in FLA, and when seconds count the cops are always minutes away.
YMMV

- - - Updated - - -

No need for a cop when you can buy a few German Shepherds.
if that what works for you, great

I am amazed that nobody has offered this place to carry your registration, IN YOUR WALLET WITH YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE

That would be easy if you have one car with one or two drivers. Our family has 7 vehicles with 5 drivers, each with a separate proof of insurance also with your address on it. That would mean that each driver would need to carry 14 documents with thier license to be legal. All have different renewal dates, so keeping all drivers with current docs would be a headache at best. In the vehicle is the only practical way.

That would be easy if you have one car with one or two drivers. Our family has 7 vehicles with 5 drivers, each with a separate proof of insurance also with your address on it. That would mean that each driver would need to carry 14 documents with thier license to be legal. All have different renewal dates, so keeping all drivers with current docs would be a headache at best. In the vehicle is the only practical way.
would you agree that your situation is somewhat unusual?
one size rarely fits all

this might be ok in CA but you should remember that this forum is populated by many people from around the US, Canada and the rest of the world where following such advice might not be the correct thing to do.
for example in NJ failure to have your paperwork with you could result in a visit to court and fines.
Actually, I'm talking about Florida. The specific incident I mentioned was in Daytona Beach... But I've always heard it was the case elsewhere too... Never thought about the fact that it was a state law, but it was taught that way in drivers ed in Minnesota.... Just figured it was a common decency for the rule to work like that. Similar to a fix it ticket.

I think much of the security concerns would be alleviated if Tesla adds the option of having a PIN number to unlock the "home" address. For that matter, I wouldn't mind having the option to lock the entire center screen in a valet mode either.

If the home address is only visible when a key fob is in the car - then having your home address really isn't a security issue.

Even if you don't enter a home address - it will likely show up as a recent charging location on the maps display.

Though if people want to require an additional level of security on their smartphones and inside the car - then that should be an option (but not a requirement).

Yeah, need a hide function so it doesn't show up on the map. If you delete it, it would probably just come back. I don't need to know I can charge at my home. Even if I put a fake address at home that is nearby, you can just look and say hmmm there's a charging station 4 blocks away.... drive by there, and then the homelink automatically pops up... etc...

I believe you can delete locations, no? I suppose it would just re-add when you charge there though.

It's not just knowing how to get home that makes having a home location necessary, it's for quick calculations of "how far from home" and "what's the best way out of here that gets me towards home" that make it necessary. They just need to have an on/off switch for both displaying charging locations and displaying home. Then a pin needs to be introduced for when you turn on "display home". Any non supercharger charging locations within 1/4 mile of home should also be turned off when "display home" is not turned on.

If course , that is why valet mode Should have a geo fence/speed alert and limit/occupancy time limit alert as push notifications, and calls.

As well as hiding home and work addresses etc, and having a glove compartment that can't be opened with the "valet key" (a modern software version of what my 99 honda used to have)

All the issues discussed here are resolved with some software and a glove compartment lock.

Enter valet mode
- set (or use) a pin
- speed limit, geo fence and occupancy alerts enabled
- home and other (all!) addresses inaccessible
- center dash displays lock& unlock instructions as 'welcome' screen , with a small reminder that route, speed and occupancy is being tracked.
- important settings inaccessible, music inaccessible, browser inaccessible etc. Just back up cam and sensors and state of charge view in the main screen
- glove compartment locked

Get car back from valet & enter pin on phone or car; it shows you briefly the route the car took while you weren't there and max speed , and then it all above returns to normal