Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security in the Connected Car era... Jeep remotely victimized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition, firmware updates aren't signed, but must come from Tesla - so at least there's not any obvious way for someone to push malicious firmware without compromising Tesla's infrastructure:

"Must come from Tesla" is pretty loose though because without air-gapped signing there's no guarantee of that. The credentials for VPN were on the SD cards so just by being a Model S owner they can try to attack the VPN server and the infrastructure behind it, which could let them push bad firmware if successful. They can try to obtain access of an employee and escalate permissions. And the list goes on. Having a 4yr old WebKit vulnerability shows that not everything is carefully patched. I'm not trying to bash Tesla, they have done far better than a lot of car makers in a lot of areas. Just saying that it isn't great the firmware wasn't signed or that a known vulnerability hadn't been patched.

"Must come from Tesla" is pretty loose though because without air-gapped signing there's no guarantee of that. The credentials for VPN were on the SD cards so just by being a Model S owner they can try to attack the VPN server and the infrastructure behind it, which could let them push bad firmware if successful. They can try to obtain access of an employee and escalate permissions. And the list goes on. Having a 4yr old WebKit vulnerability shows that not everything is carefully patched. I'm not trying to bash Tesla, they have done far better than a lot of car makers in a lot of areas. Just saying that it isn't great the firmware wasn't signed or that a known vulnerability hadn't been patched.

When I said "must come from Tesla", I was referring to their update servers, not the source of the updates. I get what you're saying, I should have been clearer.

As it turns out, Wired reported that Tesla informed them that updates are indeed signed by Tesla and validated by the car; the question is whether all the car's modules do that - IOW, is it possible that having superuser on the touchscreen allows you to push your own firmware to an individual module in the car, because the module doesn't check for signatures.