Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security PIN not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I just found out the Roadster actually has some kind of Pin-to-Drive functionality, however it doesn't seem to be available on mine. And yes, I have a PIN set in the vehicle settings, see the attached pics.
BTW, also noticed that the TMPS / tire temp menu is missing on my Roadster.

Any idea how to fix this? It's a 2.5 sport from 2012.

IMG_0087.jpegIMG_0088.jpegScreenshot 2021-10-22 at 17.50.16.png

Hi all!

I just found out the Roadster actually has some kind of Pin-to-Drive functionality, however it doesn't seem to be available on mine. And yes, I have a PIN set in the vehicle settings, see the attached pics.

Have you tapped the Valet menu? That’s the PIN function. Not the same as the modern Teslas and not PIN-to-Drive. If I remember correctly, once enabled, it limits the speed of the car and might do something else. The PIN is required to take it out of Valet mode. Just hit the Valet button, enter your PIN, and it’s enabled. Use PIN again to disable.

Have you tapped the Valet menu? That’s the PIN function. Not the same as the modern Teslas and not PIN-to-Drive. If I remember correctly, once enabled, it limits the speed of the car and might do something else. The PIN is required to take it out of Valet mode. Just hit the Valet button, enter your PIN, and it’s enabled. Use PIN again to disable.
Yeah I know about that, however see the attached screenshot of the Roadster manual. The padlock icon is missing on my car, and that should be a feature like Pin-to-Drive

• Informative
Reactions: IslandRoadster
Thanks! Would've been nice to have the PIN as an additional safety measure though.
I'm always afraid of someone breaking in at night and stealing my Roadster. That's why I always park the S in front of it, which has PIN-to-Drive enabled :)
On the EU roadster, they have to defeat a) the immobiliser/alarm, b) the physical key lock, and c) the overall strange driving controls. On the model S they just need to man-in-the-middle the keyfob. Your pin-to-drive on the S adds the second factor protection (like the physical key to the roadster).

I can only recall a very few roadster thefts, and they all involved loss of the physical key as the compromise.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski and eHorses
On the EU roadster, they have to defeat a) the immobiliser/alarm, b) the physical key lock, and c) the overall strange driving controls. On the model S they just need to man-in-the-middle the keyfob. Your pin-to-drive on the S adds the second factor protection (like the physical key to the roadster).

I can only recall a very few roadster thefts, and they all involved loss of the physical key as the compromise.
Fair enough... I'll just take the keys with me to bed then :)

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: markwj
I had a situation where I almost wet myself with this need for a PIN code. I had done a long drive and charged afterward at the hotel. I “inhibit” the APS to let it sleep since the ambient temp was less than 31C and the post charge temp was over 34C.
In the morning, I manually unlocked the door and tried to “uninhibit” APS only to get the picture attached “Deactivating pin lock”. I panicked and started to entering multiple wrong codes, including factory setting of 1234. I’m not the original owner so don’t have the pin code for this or valet settings. I finally kept my cool and realized that I needed to press the unlock on my remote to clear this.

I know OVMS and a competent Tesla SC can reset PIN but is there a way to turn off this feature?
FE25DF09-7941-4EE1-9741-D66547F4278C.jpeg