Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
honestly, in over a year of driving this car i have not thought once about the possibility of someone stealing it because the fob was nearby. head-slapping goofs, like forgetting your key on a hook near enough to the car that it starts, aside, any scenario where an actual thief is going to steal your car with you standing right there is highly unlikely, and quite fruitless as a quick call to tm will have your car tracked and immobilized within seconds (i imagine). teslas cannot be high on the list for car thieves -- there is zero chance a stolen car can be resold or even restarted once it's reported. and the market for chopshop parts has got to be nil considering the owner demographics and practicality of part swaps. the model s is so complex that it is woefully unrewarding for a car thief to even consider, i would think. they'll stick to hondas.

edit: (i suppose there's a scenario where the very technically advanced thief can clone your fob codes and then disable the cellular data antennas to foil tracking and control. but.. seriously... at that point i think a round of applause is in order. after a call to the insurance co.)

Last edited:
honestly, in over a year of driving this car i have not thought once about the possibility of someone stealing it because the fob was nearby. head-slapping goofs, like forgetting your key on a hook near enough to the car that it starts, aside, any scenario where an actual thief is going to steal your car with you standing right there is highly unlikely, and quite fruitless as a quick call to tm will have your car tracked and immobilized within seconds (i imagine). teslas cannot be high on the list for car thieves -- there is zero chance a stolen car can be resold or even restarted once it's reported. and the market for chopshop parts has got to be nil considering the owner demographics and practicality of part swaps. the model s is so complex that it is woefully unrewarding for a car thief to even consider, i would think. they'll stick to hondas.

^^^ This. Except for joyriders, there's just no incentive to steal Teslas. And even if you're going to sell it in one of those countries where 70% of the cars on the road are stolen from elsewhere, you'd still need a compatible charging system.