Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security Tips for Tesla Model 3 if travelling for few weeks and leaving the car parked in Home car garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any security/safety tips on below items for Model 3 if planning to travel for few weeks and leaving the car parked in the Home car garage?

1. Keeping Sentry Mode On
2. Keeping charging cable connected for remotely controlling charging (is this possible?) as the battery charge can turn low due to Sentry Mode being on

Any security/safety tips on below items for Model 3 if planning to travel for few weeks and leaving the car parked in the Home car garage?

1. Keeping Sentry Mode On
2. Keeping charging cable connected for remotely controlling charging (is this possible?) as the battery charge can turn low due to Sentry Mode being on

It's generally recommended to leave a Tesla plugged in when left for extended periods.

If you feel you need to leave Sentry Mode on, you will definitely need to leave it plugged in. Otherwise Sentry mode will turn off when the car hits 20% after a few days. You'll then come back to a car in the 15-20% region, which isn't harmful, but not ideal.

You can control charging remotely, but usually no need as the car will charge itself as required. From what I've read, the usual recommendation is to set the charge level to around 50% and the car will maintain it around there. If you need it higher before you arrive home, bump it up to the required percentage a day or so before you get home.

Last edited:
It's generally recommended to leave a Tesla plugged in when left for extended periods.

If you feel you need to leave Sentry Mode on, you will definitely need to leave it plugged in. Otherwise Sentry mode will turn off when the car hits 20% after a few days. You'll then come back to a car in the 15-20% region, which isn't harmful, but not ideal.

You can control charging remotely, but usually no need as the car will charge itself as required. From what I've read, the usual recommendation is to set the charge level to around 50% and the car will maintain it around there. If you need it higher before you arrive home, bump it up to the required percentage a day or so before you get home.
Thanks @OzVic Appreciate your response and the tips. :)

It it’s in a lock up garage, I wouldn’t leave sentry on for weeks unless it’s absolutely necessary.

The car won’t go to sleep, and in any event, sentry won’t stop them pinching the car if that’s what you’re worried about.

Reactions: sydneyguy
At the moment I've been away from my 1-month old Model 3 RWD (LFP batteries) for 3 weeks. I left it unplugged but I can ask my wife to plug it if needed.

I think I left it at 97% charge. I check the app at least once a day and found that the battery maybe going down 1% in a week. If I turn on Sentry at night (around 10 hours) the battery drops around 3-4%.

At least I now feel comfortable enough to leave the car unplugged for a few weeks (maybe event months) trip without Sentry.

Reactions: sydneyguy
Some what related, does anyone know if Melb Airport has any normal 240v powerpoints to leave the car plugged into at any of the at terminal carparks?
The short term carpark at T4 definitely does on many of the carpark pillars on all levels(10amp) however the cost of leaving the car there anything longer than a day or 2 would probably be prohibitive.

There is a fast (350kw) Chargefox facilty at the Westfield shopping center Airport West should you end up leaving Tulla with a low SOC.

Yeah it's going to be parked there for 2 weeks at the terminal car park. If you can afford a Tesla you can afford to park it undercover.
C865EAB9-38AF-4E02-83B2-A5FAF475DD6E.jpeg

The cheap one is outdoors, the other 2 are undercover.