Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

See how lexus teases I3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@joer00. The first quarter million plug ins were 3.3 and 6.6KW capable. The next ten million will allow DC fast charging. It was part of the first couple years. For the most part, 6.6 KW charging is easily capable for most commuter needs. It is bad for long distance travel, like the OP spoof commercial shows. I guess folks who want to drive locally electrically and go long distance without hassle can get a Volt or Energi. There are a lot of options now in the Plug in space. But so many of them are bought for the wrong reasons, like Plug in Prius being bought for HOV lane access in Cali. Have heard stories of those owners really not caring to even plug them in.

Good points, joer00

I don't think you should exclude competition just yet. You don't just develop an EV overnight, and I am sure there are several automotive manufacturers who are doing their best to catch up - but they might keep the cards close in. Despite Toyota et al claiming "no-one wants (battery) electric cars" and Lexus making smearing campaigns, the demand is indeed there. People will vote with their wallet, and claims that "Tesla sales are decreasing" is just the opposition trying to use some statistics to show less sales. TM is selling all they can produce, with huge waiting lists. Think of all the markets not even developed yet. Almost everyone I show the car are taken away, literally, and I can feel they really want to get one.

Totally agree that slow chargers can present a challenge to the adaption of EVs. HK is littered with 2kW chargers (230V 13A, in reality 2kW, 6 mph charging). It's great there are that many chargers, but for a short shopping spree, it's hardly worth the effort to plug in. I do it mainly to make a point, to show management there is a demand. Hopefully, these spots will be upgraded to faster ones.

Here is a Tesla Model S owner who compared the i3 actual efficiency, to the Model S

https://www.facebook.com/GreenCarReports/posts/772240666145634

Not about the Lexus, but interesting to see how eMPG efficiency depends on who measures it.

We we need more real life tests like these - and they will come for sure.
They did a highway test, the Tesla is a highway cruiser, no surprise that it was at it's best, while the boxy i3, designed for city driving, was at it's worst, and the i3 STILL beat the Tesla in efficiency. This is no surprise the i3 is much lighter and that makes a huge difference.
A lighter car is always more efficient than a heavier car all things being equal (ok, not equal, but both being EVs, for this purpose we'll call it equal)

The actual EPA test that gave the bigger difference is a combination of highway and city driving, and as such, gives the i3 an even bigger edge because it is even more efficient at slower speeds and stop and go traffic.

BMW gets these great efficiency numbers by making the vehicle super light, by sacrificing the ability to actually drive anywhere on battery.

There's no question the Tesla is the better vehicle in basically every way, it just doesn't happen to be more efficient than a lighter EV. The model 3 will be more efficient than the model S, and it may be light enough to go head to head with the i3 for efficiency (it will probably weigh more than an i3 (though much less than an S), but if it's as slippery as an S it may still beat the i3 on efficiency)

The actual EPA test that gave the bigger difference is a combination of highway and city driving, and as such, gives the i3 an even bigger edge because it is even more efficient at slower speeds and stop and go traffic.

Doesn't the EPA test consider charging efficiency as well? (Wall to wheels). I suspect the Model S uses more energy for temperature management during charging, which isn't a bad thing. I also wonder if they charge both cars at 6-7kW, whereas in real life the Model S would be much more efficient at the higher rates in can support.