Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

See my tire inside, in a sad way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up a nail on my right front tire. I thought it could be patched and went to a nearby auto shop. When the guy dismounted the tire. "Wow, we've been doing tire for years but never saw this kind of tire before" the repair guy said. There is a thick foam in the middle of the tire and my nail is just off the foam. Because of the patch size, they can't patch it. Instead will put a plug in it to prevent air leaking before I find a replacement. They are also dealer of continental but called for 3 warehouse they are buying but can't find the same tire. It might be specially made for tesla. it seems the only way is go to the SC to get a replacement. Only 3500 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
The foam is to decrease road noise. The fact that the tire shop has never seen or heard of such a tire is scary. Go somewhere else. As bushburner said, you can easily order it from tirerack or elsewhere.

Actually not scary at all. The tire we have wasn't available to the general public until the last few months. The repair guide is located here:

http://continentaltire.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/8566/0/filename/ContiSilent+Repair

Give that to your shop and everything should be fine.

Tire shops seem incredibly naive considering this is their business! So many stories have been posted here of "can't repair tires with foam" and "never seen this before". As the previous poster provided - the foam tires CAN be repaired - it's a simple peeling of the foam and either replace the foam or don't. It's not a magical technology - it's simple foam stick to the inside of the tire to reduce sound.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Unfortunately, tire service isn't considered very important so there is little training. Too often the only person who has any knowledge of tires is the owner, and his information is sometimes decades out of date. The tire manufacturers do send technical reps around to educate people, but there are a lot of tire shops, tire shop personnel change frequently, and there are not all that many technical reps to begin with. In addition, it's hard to get people to change their fixed ideas, so often the training just slides off. I still run across the occasional person who believes that passenger car tires should never be inflated to more than 30 or 32 psi. This hasn't been a recommended pressure for most cars since the early seventies.

Tire shops seem incredibly naive considering this is their business! So many stories have been posted here of "can't repair tires with foam" and "never seen this before". As the previous poster provided - the foam tires CAN be repaired - it's a simple peeling of the foam and either replace the foam or don't. It's not a magical technology - it's simple foam stick to the inside of the tire to reduce sound.
Cal-Tire in Calgary did this to me again recently...! I came in for a puncture repair and the ignorant and rude manager claimed “it’s a run-flat we can’t repair it only replace” - I corrected him on the run-flat because it isn’t - to which he replied, “these were designed to be runflat so we can’t repair”...jeesh! I offered to send him the link and explained it is a NORMAL tire with a simple strip of foam (like a mattress foam) glued to the inside - simply cut out the portion of foam where the nail is and patch like any other tire! He said, “we will look at it in 2 hours but if we can’t repair these tires we won’t do it...” siting now some threat they may pose to his equipment! I walked out, went to the next shop who had me in and out in 30 min with a great repair job.

Reactions: jboy210
I have the same tires. I've had them patched twice by Les Schwab tires. The first time I experienced a flat I called about six different places to find a place that was familiar with patching these tires. Call your local service center and ask them if they know of any near by tire shops that patch foam lined tires.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm