TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

See my tire inside, in a sad way

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Simon_elf, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Simon_elf

Simon_elf Member

Picked up a nail on my right front tire. I thought it could be patched and went to a nearby auto shop. When the guy dismounted the tire. "Wow, we've been doing tire for years but never saw this kind of tire before" the repair guy said. There is a thick foam in the middle of the tire and my nail is just off the foam. Because of the patch size, they can't patch it. Instead will put a plug in it to prevent air leaking before I find a replacement. They are also dealer of continental but called for 3 warehouse they are buying but can't find the same tire. It might be specially made for tesla. it seems the only way is go to the SC to get a replacement. Only 3500 miles.

2. bushburner

bushburner Member

just order from tire rack and get someone else to replace it.

3. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

The foam is to decrease road noise. The fact that the tire shop has never seen or heard of such a tire is scary. Go somewhere else. As bushburner said, you can easily order it from tirerack or elsewhere.

4. Simon_elf

Simon_elf Member

Did you order it online?

5. acadapter

acadapter Member

Actually not scary at all. The tire we have wasn't available to the general public until the last few months. The repair guide is located here:

http://continentaltire.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/8566/0/filename/ContiSilent+Repair

Give that to your shop and everything should be fine.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Tire shops seem incredibly naive considering this is their business! So many stories have been posted here of "can't repair tires with foam" and "never seen this before". As the previous poster provided - the foam tires CAN be repaired - it's a simple peeling of the foam and either replace the foam or don't. It's not a magical technology - it's simple foam stick to the inside of the tire to reduce sound.

7. bushburner

bushburner Member

I fortunately haven't had the need to replace my stock contis, but yes you can order these tires online. Tirerack.com carries them.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Unfortunately, tire service isn't considered very important so there is little training. Too often the only person who has any knowledge of tires is the owner, and his information is sometimes decades out of date. The tire manufacturers do send technical reps around to educate people, but there are a lot of tire shops, tire shop personnel change frequently, and there are not all that many technical reps to begin with. In addition, it's hard to get people to change their fixed ideas, so often the training just slides off. I still run across the occasional person who believes that passenger car tires should never be inflated to more than 30 or 32 psi. This hasn't been a recommended pressure for most cars since the early seventies.

• Informative x 2
  9. teethdood

teethdood Member

I went in this thread to see your tire, but I didn't see it. You're right, now I'm sad

• Funny x 3