Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeing a lot of BMW electrics in my area...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why but since the new year, I've noticed quite a few i3s and even a few i8s in my area. I'm wondering if there is a specific reason for this (as I'm not keeping up to date on things over on the BMW front), or if it's just a coincidence?

Also just noticed the banner ad for the i3 on the top of my browser, lmao.

When test driving a bunch of BEVs over the last two months we talked to the largest local BMW dealership in the Portland area. They said (paraphrasing) "sales started out really slow but in the past six months the i3 is selling so well that we have increased our stock and keep ordering more". Here in my neighborhood over the past three or four months half a dozen have popped up. I haven't looked for sales numbers but my guess is the i3 is doing reasonably well in Portland.

I saw one at my work today, one driving on the expressway and one at home depot on the way home. Ironically the same amount of model S in the same distance.

The funniest part was the home depot parking lot. There was 2 leafs, 2 volts, one CMAX, one i3 and one model S all parked in the same area.

Part of it may be (at least in the Bay Area) due to the pretty subsidized lease deal Weatherford BMW is offering. Their range-extender deal nets out to ~$0.27/mi, which puts it pretty on par with the Volt, C-Max and Fusion Energis, etc.

You can see the best lease deals around CA for the various EVs/range-extenders here.

Not sure why but since the new year, I've noticed quite a few i3s and even a few i8s in my area. I'm wondering if there is a specific reason for this (as I'm not keeping up to date on things over on the BMW front), or if it's just a coincidence?

Also just noticed the banner ad for the i3 on the top of my browser, lmao.

They've been discounting the hell out of them. Thats why I got mine, it's no Model S but for the money its hard to beat.