TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Seeing a lot of BMW electrics in my area...

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Caligula, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Caligula

Caligula Member

Not sure why but since the new year, I've noticed quite a few i3s and even a few i8s in my area. I'm wondering if there is a specific reason for this (as I'm not keeping up to date on things over on the BMW front), or if it's just a coincidence?

Also just noticed the banner ad for the i3 on the top of my browser, lmao.

2. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Most are PHEVs, including the i3 with range extender. Training wheels for future BEV drivers:)

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The reason likely is that BMW is selling those models and their numbers on the road are increasing.
    I have noticed more i3's on the road in the SF Bay Area over the past year, and I even saw an i8 a few weeks ago.

4. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

When test driving a bunch of BEVs over the last two months we talked to the largest local BMW dealership in the Portland area. They said (paraphrasing) "sales started out really slow but in the past six months the i3 is selling so well that we have increased our stock and keep ordering more". Here in my neighborhood over the past three or four months half a dozen have popped up. I haven't looked for sales numbers but my guess is the i3 is doing reasonably well in Portland.

5. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I saw one at my work today, one driving on the expressway and one at home depot on the way home. Ironically the same amount of model S in the same distance.

The funniest part was the home depot parking lot. There was 2 leafs, 2 volts, one CMAX, one i3 and one model S all parked in the same area.

6. tenstringer009

Part of it may be (at least in the Bay Area) due to the pretty subsidized lease deal Weatherford BMW is offering. Their range-extender deal nets out to ~$0.27/mi, which puts it pretty on par with the Volt, C-Max and Fusion Energis, etc.

You can see the best lease deals around CA for the various EVs/range-extenders here.

7. ety

ety Member

They've been discounting the hell out of them. Thats why I got mine, it's no Model S but for the money its hard to beat.

8. 1208

1208 Active Member

Been an i8 in my area since it was launched, must have been one of the first. I am seeing a few more i3's though perhaps taking away from Nissan leafs?

9. Caligula

Caligula Member

Ah this is the answer I'm looking for. Now if I can only figure out why I see so many new Maseratis...

10. SuperDragon

SuperDragon Member

Maserati has a $750 per month lease special Ive seen at my local mall. They seem to try to place them as close to the tesla store as they can :rolleyes:

11. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Almost none of the i3's I see have the range extender. They are almost all pure BEVs (it's easy to tell in California based on the color of sticker they have).

12. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I've seriously seen at least 6 Ghiblis in the last 3 days and was wondering what was going on.

13. Ampster

Ampster Member

#13 Ampster, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    I thought I read somewhere that the i3 REX got a white sticker because of REX.
    CORRECTION: Green Sticker for REX.

14. Caligula

Caligula Member

Ha! They literally had one parked in the middle of the mall basically right out front of the Tesla store I ordered my S at.